Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 3, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #136 of 1,946
I often get a bit confused with the different opinions regarding this. So I will ask the man himself, if you don’t mind. I normally listen between 65 and 85 db, never higher than 85 db, and I use a Chord Mojo 2. Will the Mojo 2 drive these efficiently/more than acceptable? Thanks (this headphone really intrigues me).

Yes, you probably won't need to max out the Mojo 2 to get reasonable volume levels even with the Stealth I think, but maybe close. But I'm picking up my E3 tomorrow and will be using it with the Mojo 2 so I'll post an update on this. I'll pick up a VIVO XLR cable later on when there's a reasonable length one in stock, just to test it on a higher end desktop system to compare (Bricasti M1SE + HeadAmp GS-X Mini).

I’d love to know how E3 compares to Mrspeakers Alpha Prime (yup still rocking a pair 😎) and Audeze LCD-3.

There’s something still special about Prime, even though I’d love it to have more mid and sub bass.

I don't know about the Prime, but there shouldn't really be any comparison to the LCD-3 since their house sound is so much different. Audeze has a flat bass/mids response and significant treble reduction.

I’ll help you out. Google Hifiman.

I do look forward eventually getting an HE-R10P stealth successor for $2k or less just to compare.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #137 of 1,946
Power distribution in music is something like 70/20/10 or 60/30/10 — depending on style etc.
So more dynamic bass results in much more power requirement. Loud enough is not the only thing, dynamic bass may simply require more headroom.
So if 1W is needed for adequately driving the E3, I’d look for something like 2W output. But that may be my personal headroom fetish of course… in the end trying out will tell you more. But if it’s loud enough but sounds somewhat flat, maybe cross check with a more powerful amp.
Amplifiers have to provide short-term peak power, which has nothing to do with the continuous power usually specified. It has to do with the maximum voltage (depends on the voltage with which the output stage is supplied) and the maximum current (what the output stage is designed for until the current limitation kicks in).

Most people forget this when they are looking for the optimum amplifier for a particular pair of headphones. Mobile amplifiers in particular have limits.

Dec 4, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #138 of 1,946
Yes, you probably won't need to max out the Mojo 2 to get reasonable volume levels even with the Stealth I think, but maybe close. But I'm picking up my E3 tomorrow and will be using it with the Mojo 2 so I'll post an update on this. I'll pick up a VIVO XLR cable later on when there's a reasonable length one in stock, just to test it on a higher end desktop system to compare (Bricasti M1SE + HeadAmp GS-X Mini).
Nice. Looking forward to your experience and findings with the Mojo 2.

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #139 of 1,946
Amplifiers have to provide short-term peak power, which has nothing to do with the continuous power usually specified. It has to do with the maximum voltage (depends on the voltage with which the output stage is supplied) and the maximum current (what the output stage is designed for until the current limitation kicks in).

Most people forget this when they are looking for the optimum amplifier for a particular pair of headphones. Mobile amplifiers in particular have limits.
A match is hard to derive from data alone in my experience. As you said, many factors are in play, and relevant measurements are seldom available for all parts involved (amps and headphones in this case).

I tend to avoid planar drivers since most do not present bass as I like it. Yet I used to own the Ether closed variants and quite liked them… when taking the Stealth for a short test run (I don’t spend 4K on headphones anymore), I did see that it does like it a more juicy amp.

I should be able to try the E3 on Thursday or Friday. Not sold on spending 2K after just acquiring the Composer (man, is that one easy to satisfy regarding power…), but having a very good closed back could still tempt me.

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #141 of 1,946
Because someone asked me for my final opinion.....I still need a little time 😎

NOMAX

Dec 4, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #143 of 1,946
Hi all. I am looking forward to the release of E3 in my area. I am quite curious about the sound stage. Someone mentioned that e3 creates a stage in front of you while the voice is very close like whispering near your ears. Am I correct? Then is it close to ether c flow?

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #144 of 1,946
Looks very interesting. Too bad the Euro price is around 2500.

Yes indeed!

1,999.99 USD = 1.837,85 EUR x 1,2 (MwSt.) = 2.205,42 EUR

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #145 of 1,946
Yes indeed!

1,999.99 USD = 1.837,85 EUR x 1,2 (MwSt.) = 2.205,42 EUR
Yeah with Expanse release they adjusted pricing due to fluctuation in the Dollar <> aeuro exchange rate.
Unfortunately they didn't adjust it back since then.

Since Expanse release it's always best to ignore distributors and buy directly from Dan Clark Audio

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #146 of 1,946
the aesthetics of DCA headphones are baffling to me.

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #147 of 1,946
Yeah with Expanse release they adjusted pricing due to fluctuation in the Dollar <> aeuro exchange rate.
Unfortunately they didn't adjust it back since then.

Since Expanse release it's always best to ignore distributors and buy directly from Dan Clark Audio
Bought at Dan Clark directley @ 2k$/1837€ wouldn't you calculate close to 400€ in taxes? Also 20% in Germany?

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #148 of 1,946
Bought at Dan Clark directley @ 2k$/1837€ wouldn't you calculate close to 400€ in taxes? Also 20% in Germany?
With the current exchange rate 2K USD -> 1895€, plus 20% (VAT) plus customs handling (10-20€) were at almost 2300€ but without warranty within EU… don’t know if that’s worth the hassle if the regular price is 2500€ from a local dealer.

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #149 of 1,946
With the current exchange rate 2K USD -> 1895€, plus 20% (VAT) plus customs handling (10-20€) were at almost 2300€ but without warranty within EU… don’t know if that’s worth the hassle if the regular price is 2500€ from a local dealer.
You still have warranty, you just have to send them at your expense to DCA if necessary

2300 vs 2500 is still nearly 10% less.
You'd have to send them in three times during warranty period to break even.

Only if the headphone dies 4x in 2 years going for a distributor would have been financially beneficial

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #150 of 1,946
You still have warranty, you just have to send them at your expense to DCA if necessary

2300 vs 2500 is still nearly 10% less.
You'd have to send them in three times during warranty period to break even.

Only if the headphone dies 4x in 2 years going for a distributor would have been financially beneficial
I also can’t return it for a full refund I guess… would still own the VAT, customs handling charge and shipping costs… plus in case of warranty repair I would have to deal with customs again.
For me no deal. But feel free to decide otherwise of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back