Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #1,621 of 1,912
I use E3 and connect hugo 2 to watch movies from my laptop. There is no lag. It's ok Chord won't make a DAP. Still excellent dac amp for my home use.
But for portable and travel, I have to get a DAP that is small and powerful enough to drive E3. Otherwise, my E3 will stay at home.
Most DAPs over $1k should do it. That seems to be the point at which they start to get quite good.

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #1,622 of 1,912
Apologies in case this has been discussed in this thread before, but I did not have time to read the whole of it yet and I want to clarify a little detail before I become victim:)wink:) of an easter special offer.

Are all DCA cables interchangeable? (The ones for the electrostatic models excluded of course.) Because I would get it with an XLR cable now and perhaps add a single ended one later and right now all I can find are cables for Aeon, Alpha, Stealth, and Ether. None of the offers mentions the E3.

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #1,623 of 1,912
Apologies in case this has been discussed in this thread before, but I did not have time to read the whole of it yet and I want to clarify a little detail before I become victim:)wink:) of an easter special offer.

Are all DCA cables interchangeable? (The ones for the electrostatic models excluded of course.) Because I would get it with an XLR cable now and perhaps add a single ended one later and right now all I can find are cables for Aeon, Alpha, Stealth, and Ether. None of the offers mentions the E3.
All of their planar magnetic headphones use the same type 4-pin Hirose connector.

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #1,624 of 1,912
Yes. E3 uses the same connector as the others you mention.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #1,625 of 1,912
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #1,626 of 1,912
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #1,627 of 1,912
Most DAPs over $1k should do it. That seems to be the point at which they start to get quite good.
General speaking for DAPs driving planar headphones, the more current you feed, the better the sound. But DAPs for E3 is pretty tricky. The specs can't tell the whole story. Mojo 2 can feed E3 with no problem. But can't do well with AK kann ultra, dx320, and specs way above mojo 2.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #1,628 of 1,912
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #1,630 of 1,912
Fogcityaudio.com is great too
But that would involve international shipping with customs fees etc. And I'd like to avoid that.

Plus first I must convince myself that I really need another headphone. Especially one that brings the total of my spendings thanks to this site into the five figures region.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #1,631 of 1,912
Anyone have/has the RU7 as well as Mojo2 and can report how both of them compare on the E3?

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #1,632 of 1,912
Plus first I must convince myself that I really need another headphone. Especially one that brings the total of my spendings thanks to this site into the five figures region.
Tell me about it 🙉😇

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #1,633 of 1,912
I'm not sure which headphones you own, but have you considered selling one or more of them to help fund an E3? In the closed-back arena, especially, I've not heard anything I prefer to the E3. And frankly, I prefer it to a vast majority of open-back cans, as well. It's a fabulous headphone which plays beautifully with all genres, and a bargain at $2k, IMO.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #1,635 of 1,912
I'm not sure which headphones you own, but have you considered selling one or more of them to help fund an E3? …

Not really. Actually the funds would not be that much of the problem, but rather the conscience after spending that much money on a headphone. Plus the market over hear for selling used headphones is not that big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back