Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #811 of 992
Hey guys I wanted to pop in and see if there was any resolution to the issue of the right driver fluctuating and getting quieter. I know hellsgod returned his. Here is my story:

Purchased 3/16/21 - If I remember correctly they worked fine for a while and it took me some time to notice the dropouts, I thought it was other things.
1st RMA 2/17/22 - They said there was nothing wrong and replaced the earpads and sent them back.
2nd RMA 5/21/22 - They said it’s not the cable, replaced the headset and gave me a new headset.
3rd RMA 10/31/22 - Worked for a time, then happened again. I sent them back on Nov 3, they got them Nov 14 and said there is no ohm Differential and replaced the earpads and sent them back.
4th Occurrence Noticed (and continued afterwards as normal) 1-2/13/23 - Warranty Ends 3/16/23 so I wanted to work on the issue. I emailed Creative Labs about my AE-9 and they said it was likely not their device.
Warranty has now lapsed - I’ve done extensive testing on many different headset/amp combos and the Noire is the Outlier in being imbalanced, specifically with the right sight seeming to be quieter and fluctuating.

Aeon 2 Noire Sound Shifting To The Left.
Could be right driver dropout so I perceive it shifting left.

Nature of the issue:
AT ALL TIMES the audio is slightly front-left. From there, the audio will shift to the left more. It can also shift back but never perfectly centered. It’s not consistent in any pattern that I’ve found so far. I could be gaming or doing nothing. I could be listening to my speakers then change to my headset and it’s already shifted left (again it could be a right driver issue).
Sometimes it will reset back. Sometimes abruptly, sometimes slowly. Sometimes it will go VERY far to the left, and again I think it’s the right side dropping out a lot.
It will constantly shift which is part of the issue - I can’t just set a headphone balance and leave it, I constantly have to baby it to keep things centered. If it was just a static imbalance I could adjust for it but the issue is that it fluctuates.

Degrees:
It feels like it will be shifted maybe 5-10 degrees to the left. But can sometimes be like 80 degrees.

Comparisons:
This is the list of comparisons I’ve done on various hardware.
g2JQaBkLdNM-t_VPf4zhhz8SKwITUAF4KiKQoOWYNCl5w6f38xvNa7HeT-fue0LOY1ddyY4FUnbtVLSb3NunJpfmBpomIZHiu7VVLZuVfRhIx0YJg89PUTFqqvFMAPKWCkofDOnM0ZeTc38nkK46z2o

My Sennheiser PC38X is perfectly balanced at all times in all scenarios connected to all devices.

Drivers are always up to date, I’ve even tried experimental reddit drivers on the x570 platform specifically but to no avail. (I also tested on z790 and x670e)

I contacted Creative support and after various escalations they concluded it was not their product.

When I use the Sound Blaster AE-9 ohm switch on the desktop audio module to go from IEM to N (normal) and back, it sometimes seems to “reset” the audio temporarily back to normal (normal = still slightly to the left, I can’t ever get it perfectly centered), but then the shift will happen again shortly.

I’ve done driver matching tests, flipped the headset, and had friends listen to it when the shift occurs, and the consensus is that it is definitely occurring.

When the shift occurs, I’ve tried immediately swapping the headset to a different audio device by replugging, and it will sometimes be as left as it was, and sometimes “reset” back to slightly left.

I’ve also tried immediately plugging in my Sennheiser PC38X headset when the shift occurs to the same audio device to see and the audio is always centered on that headset. The PC8X is always perfectly centered.

When I plugged the headset into my friend’s PC with a Fiio k7 and a Soundblaster GC7, it was immediately left and actually in that one listening period, it shifted VERY left.

I’ve sent the headset back three times to Dan Clark Audio and they tell me that their tests show no driver mismatching.

DCA said it’s not the cable.

DRIVER TESTING:
I've tested this on 5 different computers.
Completely removed both Realtek/Sonic, Sennheiser, and SoundBlaster. Prevented Realtek from reinstalling and deleted all drivers. Windows HD sound installed automatically for the mobo/front port.
I reinstalled SoundBlaster and updated both the firmware and software.
Sennheiser GSX 1000 is still front-left just like AE-9.
Unplugged everything except mouse and keyboard, exited all programs except overwatch, discord, chrome.
  • Unplugging didn’t seem to matter

IN CONCLUSION:
- After exhaustively testing the headset in different hardware scenarios, it is ALWAYS shifted.
- It appears to happen specifically with the Aeon 2 Noire.
- All other Headsets/IEMS are perfectly centered in all of the same hardware scenarios.

It seems regardless of the situation being hardware/software/drivers etc, the only constant is that the Noire is shifted/fluctuating and no other Headsets/IEMS are.

When DCA is testing, maybe they need to try plugging it into an amp/dac setup and listening at home? Use them for a week or two in different scenarios?

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I don’t want to sell a broken headset on the market.
Would it be possible to swap for a different headset or pay the difference to DCA?

Appreciate any help
~Hans
Per our prior conversation we always cover warranty repairs/units for a reasonable window even if your original warranty expires. All you had to do was contact us. That said you're in touch and we'll make sure this is handled, and again, sorry you had this experience.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 6, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #812 of 992
Thank you for the reply Kai, I'll try this for the purpose of testing.
I've already tried without the adapter and it's exactly the same.
Currently the headset is not in a fluctuation, but it is slightly skewed left as in my post, I'll do the tests anyway.

• Measure resistance of the left cup for reference, 1/8“ jack’s Sleeve to Tip. -> 12.8
• Swap the left cup’s connector to the right cup.
• Measure resistance of the right cup, again 1/8“ jack‘s Sleeve to Tip. -> ~17 EDIT: 30.4 During a fault.

Update again:
https://streamable.com/od9jih
Update 2:
Measured it where the right side was quite low (shifted pretty far left): 44.7:
https://streamable.com/dy1y3y

I've heard it go even quieter than this as well.

It seems to fluctuate even in the video from the first measurement.
Not swapping the cable on this video but, just another example of it going even higher.

When the ohms are lower, it's more centered, but it's never 13/13, and continues to fluctuate as per my post. I'll correspond with DCA today by email.

The video clearly shows the issue.
This cannot be fixed by another amp or such.

DCA should replace the complete set, including the cable, you‘ve done more than enough investigations to analyze the fault.

If you want to do one more, to exclude it‘s a cable or 1/8“ to 1/4“ jack adapter issue:

• When the fault appears, remove the 8“ to 1/4“ jack adapter.
• Unplug the right connector on the right headphones’ cup.
• Measure resistance of the left cup for reference, 1/8“ jack’s Sleeve to Tip.
• Swap the left cup’s connector to the right cup.
• Measure resistance of the right cup, again 1/8“ jack‘s Sleeve to Tip.

This way the only variable is the headphones left vs. right cup.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #814 of 992
A little help please. Too many pages for me to read through to possibly find an answer. I'm interested in the Noire and wonder if they would compliment my Denon AH-D9200. I think my Oppo PM1 planars are a great foil to my Focal Clear MG when I want to have a less energetic listen. I don't need them to better the Denons which are my favourites but just to compliment them. My set up is pretty simple with a Denon DCD2500NE SACD player with a Lehmann Linear amp.

The second question is does any drive the Noire with the Lehmann amp, if so how does it sound.

Aug 31, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #815 of 992
I just asked for help in another thread I think. out off the box I’m finding the mid-range/drums a bit heavy. Do any of the supplied filters tone that down a bit?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #818 of 992
thank you! I’ll give them a try tomorrow mornin. I really want these headphones to work out. :L3000:
Stick with the pads a few weeks and don’t swap - otherwise you’ll develop some audio nerviosa.

For best results with these cans, use a beefy amp (such as jotunheim).

Sep 1, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #819 of 992
Just picked a pair up from Amazon Wearhouse for 500$ after seeing all the great reviews. My first planar headset. Spent a lot of time with them last night, definitely hear the difference in soundstage and instrument separation compared to dynamic. These things are not easy to drive. Seems they should have came with a balance cable instead of single end. Luckily I have the Japanese version of the 707 with high gain. It gets close to its limits but that walkman can drive it.

Sep 2, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #820 of 992
Just picked a pair up from Amazon Wearhouse for 500$ after seeing all the great reviews. My first planar headset. Spent a lot of time with them last night, definitely hear the difference in soundstage and instrument separation compared to dynamic. These things are not easy to drive. Seems they should have came with a balance cable instead of single end. Luckily I have the Japanese version of the 707 with high gain. It gets close to its limits but that walkman can drive it.
Enjoy! That's a great price. I pre-ordered mine at launch and am still happy with it, although I did just order some new earpads since they started annoying me. I drive these with an RME ADI-2 with no issues and plenty of headroom.

Btw- if you were buying new, you could choose an XLR cable instead for the same price. I got Hart Audio cables for mine since I wanted a shorter cable and have been very happy with it. Can use balanced with my Monolith 887 if I want or even 2.5mm balanced with my Qudelix 5K (just change the interconnect). Mostly stick with single-ended on my RME ADI-2 though due to EQ functionality.

Sep 3, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #821 of 992
I’ve been enjoying the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire closed back for a few days now. I’ve used both a Chord Mojo 2 and a Schiit Asgard 3 to drive them. My only reservation is that female voices seem a little “dark”. Nothing that would make the purchase of these headphones a deal breaker. I know there are probably so many variables regarding sound. I have however just ordered Moon Audio Blue replacement cables hoping, as Moon writes, “polish up the sound“ a little. Moon has been helpful beyond belief with my email queries.

My first on the road trip with these headphones and the Chord Mojo 2 is coming up. this system would be the largest rig I’ve ever taken on the road I think. :smile:

Sep 3, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #822 of 992
I’ve been enjoying the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire closed back for a few days now. I’ve used both a Chord Mojo 2 and a Schiit Asgard 3 to drive them. My only reservation is that female voices seem a little “dark”. Nothing that would make the purchase of these headphones a deal breaker. I know there are probably so many variables regarding sound. I have however just ordered Moon Audio Blue replacement cables hoping, as Moon writes, “polish up the sound“ a little. Moon has been helpful beyond belief with my email queries.

My first on the road trip with these headphones and the Chord Mojo 2 is coming up. this system would be the largest rig I’ve ever taken on the road I think. :smile:
The midrange should brighten up with additional use.

Sep 3, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #824 of 992
My only reservation is that female voices seem a little “dark”
Let your brain get used to the new sound by listening only to these headphones for at least two weeks.

Sep 3, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #825 of 992
I recall the Asgard 3 being a bit rolled off in the upper midrange / treble and it might be overemphasizing the slightly dipped midrange of Aeon 2 with perforated pads. I run my Aeon 2 with solid pads and a Jotunheim 2 or iFI Diablo, which have more treble extension. The Aeon RT are much more forward in the upper midrange though, so to some extent the softer midrange is part of the sound signature of Aeon 2 (and Ether 2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back