Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #841 of 994
They are NOT mini-XLR. They're often called Hi-Rose connectors. For cables, I just look for Dan Clark Audio compatibility.
I’m not sure what the OP is looking for, a new cable? Note Moon Audio made me a cable with the proper headphone connection. I’d course Dan Clark has cable replacements/cable upgrades as does MoonAudio

Sep 11, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #842 of 994
I’m not sure what the OP is looking for, a new cable? Note Moon Audio made me a cable with the proper headphone connection. I’d course Dan Clark has cable replacements/cable upgrades as does MoonAudio
As does Hart Audio Cables

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #844 of 994
Sep 14, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #845 of 994
Can someone please tell me the connector used (on the headphone side) for these phones? seems mini-XLR but I could be wrong. Thank you.
If you‘re about building your own cable and located in US, get them from DCA.

ELSE:

Hirose HR10A-7P-4P Round 4-Pin Connector​

https://www.amazon.de/DRRI-4-poliger-Stecker-HR10A-7P-4P-4-polig/dp/B09LQZZF9Q/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=BUTGG09FTPS2&keywords=Hirose&qid=1694722327&sprefix=hirose%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-4&th=1&language=en_GB

1694722477166.jpeg

Sep 26, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #846 of 994
Bumping the thread in excitement… as my first ever planar, the Noire, will be delivered tomorrow. I ordered a Hart cable and a couple cheapies in silver and copper…. including the recommended aliexpress cable.… all in 4.4 balanced for my FIIO M17. I will likely buy a much higher end cable once I figure out which material I like better. I do like the VIVO cable just not sure if I will get that one. The Noires seem to be loved by most people. I wonder how they will compare to my HD660S or Fostex TH-00? I like a lot of music but mainly metal, rock. Been stuck on Deadmau5 lately though on my 660S. The detail is fantastic. Looking forward to hearing the Noire closed back. I think the 660‘s detail would sound amazing with a little more punchy and smooth bass. I have a goooood feeling that these will become my favorite daily drivers.

Attachments

• IMG_7838.jpeg
    IMG_7838.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7840.jpeg
    IMG_7840.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7841.jpeg
    IMG_7841.jpeg
    1,013 KB · Views: 0
Sep 26, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #847 of 994
Congrats. Keep in mind that they're not really supposed to be listened to without the tuning pads, even though some appreciate them "raw". Have fun testing the included ones, and don't hesitate combining them. Dan wrote on another platform that his favorite configuration is the black one notch combined with the one notch white (the latter is only included in the tuning pads pack available in the online shop).

Sep 26, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #848 of 994
I think you'll be very satisfied with the Noire's detail. I think it competes in detail retrieval with open-back headphones many times its price.

A note on bass: the Noire has a lot of bass in its tuning (though you need to get a good seal), but it will only give you the bass punch and impact that exists in the track. If the tracks you listen to have a lot of dynamic swing mastered into them, then the bass will be tight and slam hard, but if the dynamics swings in the track aren't that large (often the case with compressed music), the Noire won't bring them out, and the bass will feel "dead" and lack that "pop" sensation when the notes hit. I wouldn't expect them to have big slam like those Fostex biodynamics.

I'll put the next part in spoilers because I don't want to sway your opinion of the headphone before you've had a chance to listen to it yourself, but I've found this next part helpful. Regardless, I hope you enjoy the Noires!
I'd personally EQ down the upper treble (>9KHz) or using one of the felt filters because the stock tuning IMO has too much upper treble which along with being a bit too zingy gives some bass notes this "rubbery" timbre, like the notes are being played by a rubber mallet instead of a wooden drumstick. The rubberiness was something that really bothered me once I noticed it, and the white two-notch felt filter helps reduce that quality.

Sep 26, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #850 of 994
I'm using mine with Pro iDSD + Pro iCan, iFi is good to these headphones :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #851 of 994
Congrats. Keep in mind that they're not really supposed to be listened to without the tuning pads, even though some appreciate them "raw". Have fun testing the included ones, and don't hesitate combining them. Dan wrote on another platform that his favorite configuration is the black one notch combined with the one notch white (the latter is only included in the tuning pads pack available in the online shop).
I've not heard of that or seen the manufacturer mention that. It seems many go without any tuning pad at all. I will probably experiment and the cable can color the sound one way or the other as well.

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #852 of 994
I think you'll be very satisfied with the Noire's detail. I think it competes in detail retrieval with open-back headphones many times its price.

A note on bass: the Noire has a lot of bass in its tuning (though you need to get a good seal), but it will only give you the bass punch and impact that exists in the track. If the tracks you listen to have a lot of dynamic swing mastered into them, then the bass will be tight and slam hard, but if the dynamics swings in the track aren't that large (often the case with compressed music), the Noire won't bring them out, and the bass will feel "dead" and lack that "pop" sensation when the notes hit. I wouldn't expect them to have big slam like those Fostex biodynamics.

I'll put the next part in spoilers because I don't want to sway your opinion of the headphone before you've had a chance to listen to it yourself, but I've found this next part helpful. Regardless, I hope you enjoy the Noires!
I'd personally EQ down the upper treble (>9KHz) or using one of the felt filters because the stock tuning IMO has too much upper treble which along with being a bit too zingy gives some bass notes this "rubbery" timbre, like the notes are being played by a rubber mallet instead of a wooden drumstick. The rubberiness was something that really bothered me once I noticed it, and the white two-notch felt filter helps reduce that quality.
I have about 50k songs on my M17. Even with that many, I know where the good files are. 👍

I'm not too sensitive to treble as I have 50 year old ears and I don't usually like EQ'ing. Hopefully I won't need to tune them that much.

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #853 of 994
Sep 26, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #854 of 994

How do you think it compares to the HD660S or HD6XX as far as detail and resolution? I expect the Noire to hit a little harder than those as fas as bass goes. If I can something with the detail of the HD660S and the bass of a TH-X00….. I’d be pretty damn happy. I know at least I’ll have a dap that’s capable of powering the Noire properly. I’m picking them up after work tomorrow. 🤟

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #855 of 994
I've not heard of that or seen the manufacturer mention that. It seems many go without any tuning pad at all. I will probably experiment and the cable can color the sound one way or the other as well.
As @lafeuill mentioned, Dan Clark posted about the damping effects of the tuning pads as well as his PEQ settings on another forum on July 2, 2023. If you look up the Aeon 2 Noire Review on that site, you will see a few posts by Dan Clark (that is also his user name). I have been using similar PEQ settings on my RME ADI-2 along with the foam tuning pad ÷ 1 notch white (i ordered a set) and the headphones sound fantastic to my ears (way too sibilant for me otherwise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back