Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #826 of 994
I recall the Asgard 3 being a bit rolled off in the upper midrange / treble and it might be overemphasizing the slightly dipped midrange of Aeon 2 with perforated pads. I run my Aeon 2 with solid pads and a Jotunheim 2 or iFI Diablo, which have more treble extension. The Aeon RT are much more forward in the upper midrange though, so to some extent the softer midrange is part of the sound signature of Aeon 2 (and Ether 2).
Funny how one new piece of equipment starts making me look at the whole equipment chain! :beyersmile: Maybe by the first of the year the Asgard 3 will be replaced. But I'll give my current set-up more time.

Found an old fave "The Breeze" (An Appreciation of JJ Cale) in my playlist! Enjoying these headphones with the various artists that perform in honor of JJ Cale!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #827 of 994
Anyone out there using the slightly perforated headphone ear cups with the closed back Aeon Noire 2? I saw a YouTube video where he recommended the perforated version. In checking the Dan Clark site I found this reference that indicated the user would receive a “V” shaped sound. how hard is it to switch pads in and out on these headphones. They use some kind of sticky formed tape right?

https://danclarkaudio.com/aeon-ear-pads.html

Sep 4, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #828 of 994
I’ve been enjoying the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire closed back for a few days now. I’ve used both a Chord Mojo 2 and a Schiit Asgard 3 to drive them. My only reservation is that female voices seem a little “dark”. Nothing that would make the purchase of these headphones a deal breaker. I know there are probably so many variables regarding sound. I have however just ordered Moon Audio Blue replacement cables hoping, as Moon writes, “polish up the sound“ a little. Moon has been helpful beyond belief with my email queries.

My first on the road trip with these headphones and the Chord Mojo 2 is coming up. this system would be the largest rig I’ve ever taken on the road I think. :smile:

What filters are you using ? Did you go with the white as somebody suggested to try ?

I find the black felt and the black foam used together to be the best balance for me, frankly I doubt the foam does much but I have it in at the moment.

That is enough to cut the sharp sibilance of certain problematic songs but still allows the higher frequencies to play their part in female voices and some instruments to give them sharp edges and detail that you might be missing if you have more damping than suits your longer term listening preference.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #829 of 994
Just picked a pair up from Amazon Wearhouse for 500$ after seeing all the great reviews. My first planar headset. Spent a lot of time with them last night, definitely hear the difference in soundstage and instrument separation compared to dynamic. These things are not easy to drive. Seems they should have came with a balance cable instead of single end. Luckily I have the Japanese version of the 707 with high gain. It gets close to its limits but that walkman can drive it.

Yes they take a bit of driving but they are not as hard to power a some would have you believe.

I use an iFi Gryphon and Diablo (because I have it not because that much power is needed - I leave it on Eco setting/low gain) and a little Schiit Magni Plus and all of them have plenty of power, admittedly the Gryphon is always well up in the volume numbers but it gets the job done.

I don't commonly use them on it but I have on occasion used the Noire on my FiiO M11 Plus out of the 4.4mm balanced and it has plenty of power and would be my choice for portable use if I was so inclined but I am an IEM guy for portable use.

Sep 4, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #830 of 994
What filters are you using ? Did you go with the white as somebody suggested to try ?

I find the black felt and the black foam used together to be the best balance for me, frankly I doubt the foam does much but I have it in at the moment.

That is enough to cut the sharp sibilance of certain problematic songs but still allows the higher frequencies to play their part in female voices and some instruments to give them sharp edges and detail that you might be missing if you have more damping than suits your longer term listening preference.
i haven’t tried any of the foam inserts yet. i will once I make time to rotate the sound filter pads, and find a few songs where I wonder if a little manipulation would help.

Sep 5, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #831 of 994
Anyone out there using the slightly perforated headphone ear cups with the closed back Aeon Noire 2? I saw a YouTube video where he recommended the perforated version. In checking the Dan Clark site I found this reference that indicated the user would receive a “V” shaped sound. how hard is it to switch pads in and out on these headphones. They use some kind of sticky formed tape right?

The Aeon Perforated Earpads are the same earpads that already come pre-installed on the Aeon 2 Noire (i.e. they are the stock replacement earpads for the Noire). The Aeon 2 Noire is the Aeon 2 Closed in a different color and the Aeon Perforated Ear Pads. This was confirmed by Dan Clark if you search online. Also, I confirmed the Aeon Perforated Ear Pads are the stock Noire Ear pads via email as well (before I ordered them recently). There is a YouTube video online on how to change the pads and it does not seem that difficult to do.

Sep 5, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #832 of 994
The Aeon Perforated Earpads are the same earpads that already come pre-installed on the Aeon 2 Noire (i.e. they are the stock replacement earpads for the Noire). The Aeon 2 Noire is the Aeon 2 Closed in a different color and the Aeon Perforated Ear Pads. This was confirmed by Dan Clark if you search online. Also, I confirmed the Aeon Perforated Ear Pads are the stock Noire Ear pads via email as well (before I ordered them recently). There is a YouTube video online on how to change the pads and it does not seem that difficult to do.
Thanks! I must been reading the wrong model review.

Sep 7, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #833 of 994

The Aeon 2 and Aeon Noire are the same headphone, only difference is the color and perforated vs non-perforated pads (perforated on the Noire).

V shaped is an overstatement.

You can find some measurements here:

https://forum.headphones.com/t/dan-...n-closed-official-discussion/5716/252?page=13

Most people seem to slightly prefer the Noire and I've found that the perforated pads do reduce the treble, they were too sibilant for me without the tuning filters when using the solid pads but like them a lot without filters and perforated pads. It does bring up the bass a touch as well, but overall it's not like a massive change in sound.

The pads are glued on, but honestly if you're careful you can swap them without too much trouble. You can put some wax paper or something on the glue of the pads to preserve it and you can definitely swap the pads a few times without the glue giving up. Probably not dozens of times but it's not like you gotta buy new pads just because you change them out every once in a while.

Sep 7, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #834 of 994
Since we're on the topic, I think it's also worth mentioning that I had the opportunity to compare an old demo model Noire with old squishy pads and my own new 2 Closed with new perforated pads from late 2022 (they don't get squished like the old pad type, new type) and the old pair sounded very different. There was considerably more bass that even bled into the mids, not sure what was wrong with that pair. My own pair sounds very "clean" with no bass bleed, but a little thin on my setup. Personally, I'm happy about the new pads/sound and that there are tuning filters available to reduce treble.

Sep 7, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #835 of 994
The Aeon 2 and Aeon Noire are the same headphone, only difference is the color and perforated vs non-perforated pads (perforated on the Noire).

V shaped is an overstatement.

You can find some measurements here:

https://forum.headphones.com/t/dan-...n-closed-official-discussion/5716/252?page=13

Most people seem to slightly prefer the Noire and I've found that the perforated pads do reduce the treble, they were too sibilant for me without the tuning filters when using the solid pads but like them a lot without filters and perforated pads. It does bring up the bass a touch as well, but overall it's not like a massive change in sound.

The pads are glued on, but honestly if you're careful you can swap them without too much trouble. You can put some wax paper or something on the glue of the pads to preserve it and you can definitely swap the pads a few times without the glue giving up. Probably not dozens of times but it's not like you gotta buy new pads just because you change them out every once in a while.
Many thanks. Well I did order a new pair of perforated pads before looking at them/getting advice here. Well duh on me! Well I now will have a spare :)

Sep 7, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #836 of 994
Finally the weather has cooled down and I’m finally on the deck with these headphones and Mojo2. I’ve been trying to get more time with them. I even took them for a day trip to the hospital. It was killing me not to break out this rig while chaired and Hooked up to IV! Yes, I resorted to B&W Pi72! Please don’t kick this reunited member of the “wired’ club:deadhorse: Blue Moon Blue cables on the way. Maybe I should have popped for the silver? My spouse would kill me!:ksc75smile:

IMG_1664.jpeg

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #837 of 994
Well I hope everyone isn't getting tired of my incremental talk about the DC Aeon 2 Noire. :sleeping::relaxed: But the Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable came today and I've been giving it a workout via the Chord Mojo 2, and my desktop Asgard 3. Right away the vocals a little more present, which is what I've been looking for. There seems to be a little more detail and separation in the various instruments. I like that!

I've given my ears a little rest and now switched over to the Grado Hemp. No surprise there, talk about the "Ying and Yang" of sound. Yes, to be expected given closed vs. wide open headphones. It is good to have choices. I am considering a Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable for the Grado Hemp...but don't know if that would be a good match. I've reached out to Moon Audio, and a great fellow named Jose has been patient and helpful with all my questions. Sorry for getting off topic with the Grado Hemp. But as you know I'm trying to work my way back into the world of cabled headphones. Note that icon of me is old, old, old...wearing Koss Pro4A headphones in my college D.J. gig!

Sep 11, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #838 of 994
Can someone please tell me the connector used (on the headphone side) for these phones? seems mini-XLR but I could be wrong. Thank you.

Sep 11, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #839 of 994
Can someone please tell me the connector used (on the headphone side) for these phones? seems mini-XLR but I could be wrong. Thank you.
They are NOT mini-XLR. They're often called Hi-Rose connectors. For cables, I just look for Dan Clark Audio compatibility.

Sep 11, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #840 of 994
I second what is said above.

Definitely not mini XLR.

Correct they are Hirose 4 pin, obviously only 2 pins are used each side. They have a spring loaded catch built into the barrel that you pull to release them from the headphone.

Hirose is a brand name and the specific connector appears to be a HR10A-7P-4S(73). There are probably all sorts of copies, no idea if Dan Clark uses Hirose brand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back