Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #76 of 1,021
This is really good info for me. I bought the Noire, and got a loaner LCD 2C from my audio guy. To be honest as soon as I listened to the 2C I was in love. Holy crap. It is the perfect and ideal sound signature for me. However 40 minutes later my neck was throbbing. I much prefer the sound of the 2C over the Noire, but yeah.

I too would like 2 or 3 pairs of headphones, 1 open and 1 closed, plus maybe a cheaper Bluetooth pair.
Yeah, the weight of the LCD-X is a worrisome factor for me also (it's significantly heavier than the LCD-2C). I've never been bothered at all by headphone weight, but I've never worn a pair as heavy as most Audeze LCD phones. The LCD-X is about half again as heavy as my moderately heavy ZMF Aeolus and Focal Elex; it's roughly double the weight of the Noire (far larger drivers, double sided vs. single sided magnets, and all metal cups).

Given what I know of the Audeze LCD-2C or LCD-X (TBH, I haven't heard them yet), they're probably more to my taste also if I had to pick just one headphone. But since my Aeolus is a very warm headphone with prominent, impactful bass (and I really like bass, or at least rock bass guitar), I'm looking for something a bit different like the Noire.

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #77 of 1,021
I'm saving for a new pair of headphones and am likely to buy these next month. I'm looking for a good planar to complement my ZMF Aeolus. I'm currently dithering between the Noire, the Hifiman Ananda, and (after saving for an additional month) the Audeze LCD-X. While the LCD-X is undoubtedly the superior headphone of the three on technicalities, the Noire or Ananda probably complement my very warm Aeolus better. All, of these headphones (indeed, all the headphones I own) are open backed except the Noire. Aside from the fact that I thought it might be nice to have one good closed headphone, the Aeon 2 Open has not generally been as well reviewed as the Closed or the Noire. (FWIW, this was true of the first generation Aeon Open and Closed also.)
I am in the same exact situation to find a good complement to my Aeolus. I was looking for closed planar (to complement open dynamic Aeolus.) LCD-XC was the best option but it was too heavy. Noire is good but not as technically impressive and not as dynamic as other options. I might go for a used Arya SE for about 1200$ which is obviously not closed but seems to complement Aeolus better than others I've tired.

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #78 of 1,021
I am in the same exact situation to find a good complement to my Aeolus. I was looking for closed planar (to complement open dynamic Aeolus.) LCD-XC was the best option but it was too heavy. Noire is good but not as technically impressive and not as dynamic as other options. I might go for a used Arya SE for about 1200$ which is obviously not closed but seems to complement Aeolus better than others I've tired.
I was interested in the Arya also but I only buy new and it's $1600 and it would take me a while to save up. (I'm retired on a fixed income and don't use credit. I got the Aeolus last year with the first stimulus check.) And while you can call me shallow, but IMO the very plasticky construction of the Arya is inappropriate for a $1600 headphone. (It's build is pretty much the same as the Ananda, which is underwhelming even at it's reduced price of $700.) This is especially true if you've gotten used to the pampering of the Aeolus. (For those not familiar with ZMF, the Aeolus, like all their headphones, is handmade to order from entirely premium materials--wood, metal, and leather or suede.)

Also, everything I've heard suggests that the Arya is fairly similar in sound to the Ananda but slightly better in nearly everything for a bit more than double the cost. Interestingly, the most common criticism of the Ananda (and the Arya as well to some extent) is the same as the most common criticism of the Noire--lack of dynamics and impactful bass despite good bass response on FR graphs (even pretty elevated on the Noire) for all these headphones.

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #79 of 1,021
I was interested in the Arya also but I only buy new and it's $1600 and it would take me a while to save up. (I'm retired on a fixed income and don't use credit. I got the Aeolus last year with the first stimulus check.) And while you can call me shallow, but IMO the very plasticky construction of the Arya is inappropriate for a $1600 headphone. (It's build is pretty much the same as the Ananda, which is underwhelming even at it's reduced price of $700.) This is especially true if you've gotten used to the pampering of the Aeolus. (For those not familiar with ZMF, the Aeolus, like all their headphones, is handmade to order from entirely premium materials--wood, metal, and leather or suede.)

Also, everything I've heard suggests that the Arya is fairly similar in sound to the Ananda but slightly better in nearly everything for a bit more than double the cost. Interestingly, the most common criticism of the Ananda (and the Arya as well to some extent) is the same as the most common criticism of the Noire--lack of dynamics and impactful bass despite good bass response on FR graphs (even pretty elevated on the Noire) for all these headphones.
I completely understand if you don't want to buy them used or open-box. The dynamics are actually improved on the SE compared to V2 which was already better than the Ananda. So overall the dynamics are better than the Noire for sure. But Noire also has its benefits. It's very portable and it's a closed back. Which makes it the only comfortable planar closed back that sounds good under 2000$.
If you did end up buying the Noirs please let us know what do you think of the sound.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #80 of 1,021
This is really good info for me. I bought the Noire, and got a loaner LCD 2C from my audio guy. To be honest as soon as I listened to the 2C I was in love. Holy crap. It is the perfect and ideal sound signature for me. However 40 minutes later my neck was throbbing. I much prefer the sound of the 2C over the Noire, but yeah.
Same here. My body adapted to the Audeze after a while, and now I am happy with them.

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #81 of 1,021
I got my set 2 days ago, and I have to say I do not enjoy the sound at all. They are much too treble-y for me.

After about 18 hours of music playing, while I was at work, the sound is a bit warmer and more relaxed - which I prefer. Does further burn-in help with warming them up a bit?

I also have a small Hotspot on the headband just to the left of the top of my head. It seems that no adjustment helps, but I am thrilled with the deep pads. My ears don't touch the drivers, woohoo!

Edit: I forgot to mention that my Element 2 dac/amp seems like it may not be powerful enough to run these well. Even with Windows set to 90 volume and the Element at 65% is still pretty quiet. Bummer.

I have the Element II as well.

The Element II is has plenty of power to drive these, and plenty of current as well. Running windows at 90% volume is uneccessarily low, and as JDS themselves suggest in the manual you reduce volume *slightly* you can up it to 98%. I believe they have suggested this to hedge against some clipping which *may* not will occur in relation to high bit-rate material being processed by the DAC. You can always email JDS directly, they are very good with answering questions.

In any case, at 16ohms, there is roughly double 1.3w, and I believe at least 2V current available....which is a lot, and more than enough to drive the Aeon 2's. Consider that many people are using mobile players/amps that don't come close to these numbers.

Having said that, I have found one or two tracks here and there where I can max out the volume at low gain...(a few choral works...) but that is as loud as I would listen, and the high-gain button brings the knob back down to 30%, so there is tons of headroom. Seems like this would hav to do with the source material, but I could be wrong.

In any case, as with any headphone, your brain burns in to the sound because your biased with whatever cans you have been listening to for a long time now that could be much more muted in those frequencies. The supplied black pads would probably be enough to help reduce some of the treble very slightly, or you can load Oratory 1990's EQ settings.

I find these to be very natural sounding phones....but that is also because I compare them to my other/previous phones like the T5's which are much brighter.

Jan 22, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #82 of 1,021
I have the Element II as well.

The Element II is has plenty of power to drive these, and plenty of current as well. Running windows at 90% volume is uneccessarily low, and as JDS themselves suggest in the manual you reduce volume *slightly* you can up it to 98%. I believe they have suggested this to hedge against some clipping which *may* not will occur in relation to high bit-rate material being processed by the DAC. You can always email JDS directly, they are very good with answering questions.

In any case, at 16ohms, there is roughly double 1.3w, and I believe at least 2V current available....which is a lot, and more than enough to drive the Aeon 2's. Consider that many people are using mobile players/amps that don't come close to these numbers.

Having said that, I have found one or two tracks here and there where I can max out the volume at low gain...(a few choral works...) but that is as loud as I would listen, and the high-gain button brings the knob back down to 30%, so there is tons of headroom. Seems like this would hav to do with the source material, but I could be wrong.

In any case, as with any headphone, your brain burns in to the sound because your biased with whatever cans you have been listening to for a long time now that could be much more muted in those frequencies. The supplied black pads would probably be enough to help reduce some of the treble very slightly, or you can load Oratory 1990's EQ settings.

I find these to be very natural sounding phones....but that is also because I compare them to my other/previous phones like the T5's which are much brighter.
I'm an idiot and accidentally pushed the gain button when I plugged the headphones in, I had been running them on high gain, and knocked it down to low. I got that all sorted though....derp. I've been running on high gain for years, that's why it was so shocking to me. Oh well.

I've tried the black pad inserts to help tame the treble, but I think I've decided that it's too peaky for me, unless someone else has any other ideas to help tone down the peaks? Gunshots with them sound ping-y to me, and it is uncomfortable (the sound, not the fit) to my ears.

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #83 of 1,021
I'm an idiot and accidentally pushed the gain button when I plugged the headphones in, I had been running them on high gain, and knocked it down to low. I got that all sorted though....derp. I've been running on high gain for years, that's why it was so shocking to me. Oh well.

I've tried the black pad inserts to help tame the treble, but I think I've decided that it's too peaky for me, unless someone else has any other ideas to help tone down the peaks? Gunshots with them sound ping-y to me, and it is uncomfortable (the sound, not the fit) to my ears.

Oratory's EQ for the Noire basically chops a few DB on those peaks (5600-14000), and this would be a free/easy way for you to get what you want. Its really a pretty small adjustment you're after...but good to adjust to how you like just in those frequencies if you like everything else.

1642905261653.png

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #85 of 1,021
Wow guys only 4 pages of discussions!
At their price/value range I’ve expected to see hundreds of comments frankly speaking 😂

Just bought a pair of mine and a VIVO 4.4mm cable.
Took them over LCD-XC 2021, Denon 9200, DCA Stealth, Ether C and Rognir.
Only planar closed backs that I was not able to audition were R10P.

Noire 2 sound is just amazing. I feel that every other closed iso/dynamic competitor lacks at smth - be it default tuning, SQ, comfort or price.

Listening them on my SP2K and Hiby RS6 - both pairings are just so enjoyable.
Only thing one need struggle a bit is adjusting the strap and cups placement initially.
Hello, I am also considering buying the Noire or the LCD XC. And you really mean better the Noire? I will run them with DX300 and Amp 12. Can you tell me what the difference between the two is? What about micro details?

Feb 1, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #86 of 1,021
I got my set 2 days ago, and I have to say I do not enjoy the sound at all. They are much too treble-y for me.

After about 18 hours of music playing, while I was at work, the sound is a bit warmer and more relaxed - which I prefer. Does further burn-in help with warming them up a bit?

I also have a small Hotspot on the headband just to the left of the top of my head. It seems that no adjustment helps, but I am thrilled with the deep pads. My ears don't touch the drivers, woohoo!

Edit: I forgot to mention that my Element 2 dac/amp seems like it may not be powerful enough to run these well. Even with Windows set to 90 volume and the Element at 65% is still pretty quiet. Bummer.
I’ve been getting the same hotspot, have you figured out why/any solutions?

Feb 1, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #87 of 1,021
Hello, I am also considering buying the Noire or the LCD XC. And you really mean better the Noire? I will run them with DX300 and Amp 12. Can you tell me what the difference between the two is? What about micro details?
Hello!
Let me explain why I think Noirs work better, but please keep in mind they work better for my personal hearing and tastes:
1. Tuning is fun and engaging (close to so-called Harman curve) compared to XC
2. It has good holographic imaging
3. Treble is not too bright for me, but I’m not too much treble-sensitive
4. Weight is x2 less than XC
5. Midrange is bit laid-off, so I rate Xc higher here
6. They are close in term of technicalities here, but XC is a more clear one

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #89 of 1,021
I have no experience with the LCD-XC and DX300 but with the LCD-X and DX300(Amp11). And i own the Aeon2 regular not noire.
If my Aeon2 wasn't 2 times cheaper i would have gone with the X. X had a wider stage for me and in comparisson the Aeon2 seemed to be missing some part of the music. That might be open vs closed differences so i guess the best advice is to try to listen to them yourself. They sounded prety different to me with the genres i listen to. (rock,metal,indie) The XC has better sensitivity so a dap drives it better altho i have plenty of volume range with the dx300 and Aeon2. The Aeon2 is way more portable(since it folds) and light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back