Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #61 of 994
Curious about how y'all are using the filters for your Noires? I initially listened with the white filters, but have ended up running them without any as I didn't want to lose any detail. Obviously, this is subjective and depends on taste and music preference, but I'm curious if/how other Noire owners are using the filters.

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #62 of 994
Curious about how y'all are using the filters for your Noires? I initially listened with the white filters, but have ended up running them without any as I didn't want to lose any detail. Obviously, this is subjective and depends on taste and music preference, but I'm curious if/how other Noire owners are using the filters.

I use the thin black filter.
Feel like it just takes away a bit of that top treble.
But I'm enjoying them without the filters as well.

Jan 14, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #63 of 994

I also use them without any filters... Have never find the need for them.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #64 of 994
Also no filters here. I only used filters with the AFC 1 to reduce an annoying treble peak.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #65 of 994
Btw, how big is the difference between the Stealth and AFC 2 Noire?

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #66 of 994
Btw, how big is the difference between the Stealth and AFC 2 Noire?
They are very different - Stealth are much more dry, neutral and somewhat lifeless, but also definitely more detailed, while Noire has engaging somewhat v-shaped tuning with a bit lay-offed mids, but a bit less clarity.
I took Noire over Stealth for portable usage purposes also.

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #67 of 994
I use the thin black filter.
Feel like it just takes away a bit of that top treble.
But I'm enjoying them without the filters as well.
I actually started with the white filter and now use the black foam filter (after some brain burn in and EQ). I use the oratory1990 EQ settings (I pair them with an RME ADI-2 but don't recall if I have tried the ADI-2 specific settings yet) and adjusted the treble down a bit further about -1.5db at 6.5khz in addition to the pads. I generally find Harman to be a bit harsh in the treble for my taste so knew I would be using the filters before I even bought them. Very happy with the Noire.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #68 of 994
Absolutely love the Noire 2. Im thinking about getting Dekonis Sheepskin pads for them and a silver coated cable like I got for my Focal Elegia. But should end in a 4.4mm termination.

Someone got experience with the Dekonis pads on the Noire?
I tried various Dekoni earpads on quite a lot of my headphones collection (not on the DCA).
Every time sound character changed significantly.

The Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire’s tuning is largely done by it’s specific earpads.
If you change them you will have a different headphone.

Filter:
I do use the black felt, with the black foam on top.
This combination only marginally changes the signature.

The bigger difference:
The filters make the sound much more consistent across different head placements.
The filters stabilize the cup-internal sound field, are damping resonances.

Opposed to other headphones the filters didn’t eat off definition or transient response.
Probably because there’s already a lot of damping built into the DCA Aeon 2 Noire.

Allthough I’m using EQ on most of my ‘phones, for the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire I don’t need any.

Have you noticed how the sound changes when the backplates of the cups are dampened by lightly putting two fingers on each?
The sound becomes drier, less resonant, and the instrument placement becomes more pin-point and direct.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #69 of 994
I got my set 2 days ago, and I have to say I do not enjoy the sound at all. They are much too treble-y for me.

After about 18 hours of music playing, while I was at work, the sound is a bit warmer and more relaxed - which I prefer. Does further burn-in help with warming them up a bit?

I also have a small Hotspot on the headband just to the left of the top of my head. It seems that no adjustment helps, but I am thrilled with the deep pads. My ears don't touch the drivers, woohoo!

Edit: I forgot to mention that my Element 2 dac/amp seems like it may not be powerful enough to run these well. Even with Windows set to 90 volume and the Element at 65% is still pretty quiet. Bummer.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #70 of 994
I got my set 2 days ago, and I have to say I do not enjoy the sound at all. They are much too treble-y for me.

After about 18 hours of music playing, while I was at work, the sound is a bit warmer and more relaxed - which I prefer. Does further burn-in help with warming them up a bit?

I also have a small Hotspot on the headband just to the left of the top of my head. It seems that no adjustment helps, but I am thrilled with the deep pads. My ears don't touch the drivers, woohoo!

Edit: I forgot to mention that my Element 2 dac/amp seems like it may not be powerful enough to run these well. Even with Windows set to 90 volume and the Element at 65% is still pretty quiet. Bummer.
Treble-y is not something that comes to my mind when listening to the Noire.

Are you running them balanced?

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #72 of 994

Treble-y is not something that comes to my mind when listening to the Noire.

Are you running them balanced?
I do too find them bright headphones, that's why DCA includes tuning filters to tame down the treble. Switching to a more powerful amp (JDS EL 2 to Jot 2) helped them with the bass impact but the overall tonality remains unchanged (which is how amps work).
While I do believe in brain burn in I don't think that actually changes how a headphone sounds. Give your ears some time to adjust to the sound signature but do NOT miss the return window.

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #74 of 994
I don't have a balanced amp, only a JDS Labs Element 2. I ordered them with just the basic stock 1/4 dummer cable because that is what is on the amp I have, and it was cheaper.
It's not cheaper--you can choose the base Dummer cable with a single ended 1/4 inch or balanced XLR connector for no additional cost; only the upgrade VIVO cable (and more "exotic" connectors) costs more. (I know because I've researched buying this and would get the XLR since all the amps I regularly use are balanced.) Of course, there's no reason (actually spectacularly dumb) to get an XLR connector if you don't have a balanced amp. BTW, I've never heard the Element, but according to JDS it has 1.3 watts at 32 ohms--that should be plenty to properly drive the Aeon.

I'm saving for a new pair of headphones and am likely to buy these next month. I'm looking for a good planar to complement my ZMF Aeolus. I'm currently dithering between the Noire, the Hifiman Ananda, and (after saving for an additional month) the Audeze LCD-X. While the LCD-X is undoubtedly the superior headphone of the three on technicalities, the Noire or Ananda probably complement my very warm Aeolus better. All, of these headphones (indeed, all the headphones I own) are open backed except the Noire. Aside from the fact that I thought it might be nice to have one good closed headphone, the Aeon 2 Open has not generally been as well reviewed as the Closed or the Noire. (FWIW, this was true of the first generation Aeon Open and Closed also.)

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #75 of 994
It's not cheaper--you can choose the base Dummer cable with a single ended 1/4 inch or balanced XLR connector for no additional cost; only the upgrade VIVO cable (and more "exotic" connectors) costs more. (I know because I've researched buying this and would get the XLR since all the amps I regularly use are balanced.) Of course, there's no reason (actually spectacularly dumb) to get an XLR connector if you don't have a balanced amp. BTW, I've never heard the Element, but according to JDS it has 1.3 watts at 32 ohms--that should be plenty to properly drive the Aeon.

I'm saving for a new pair of headphones and am likely to buy these next month. I'm looking for a good planar to complement my ZMF Aeolus. I'm currently dithering between the Noire, the Hifiman Ananda, and (after saving for an additional month) the Audeze LCD-X. While the LCD-X is undoubtedly the superior headphone of the three on technicalities, the Noire or Ananda probably complement my very warm Aeolus better. All, of these headphones (indeed, all the headphones I own) are open backed except the Noire. Aside from the fact that I thought it might be nice to have one good closed headphone, the Aeon 2 Open has not generally been as well reviewed as the Closed or the Noire. (FWIW, this was true of the first generation Aeon Open and Closed also.)
This is really good info for me. I bought the Noire, and got a loaner LCD 2C from my audio guy. To be honest as soon as I listened to the 2C I was in love. Holy crap. It is the perfect and ideal sound signature for me. However 40 minutes later my neck was throbbing. I much prefer the sound of the 2C over the Noire, but yeah.

I too would like 2 or 3 pairs of headphones, 1 open and 1 closed, plus maybe a cheaper Bluetooth pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back