Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire Discussion/Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #31 of 994
Nice review! I have Aeon X closed and open. I’m torn on the cable - one has the rubber one and the other has the fabric covered one. At first I didn’t like the fabric one but now I prefer that one. I did order a basic third party replacement cable so I’d have a shorter one.
I think you described the sound quite well. And I’d agree these would be great studio headphones although every studio I’ve been in have much cheaper headphones.

thx for your comments, oakparkmusicguy.

Also.... regarding "where is the slam"....

Reader, IN the video ive posted below, you have a great French Electronic/Dance Band.
In this live performance, you have a vocalist with a sweet yet soft vocal presentation and she's competing with a room full of Keys.
The sub bass is pretty strong, yet, inside the Noire's, you will find that the Vocal is a perfect match for the deep strong bass and kick drum which the Noire's represent as very textured and nicely dynamic.
Now, if your headphones are slamming too much and the bass is too big and the Vocals are not clear and present and balanced, then get yourself a set of Noire's, as the Noire's present the deep electronic bass and kick with full rich power, AND the soft Vocals as perfectly balanced and very CLEAR.
-
-

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #32 of 994
If I put the perforated pads on my aeon 2 closed, is that sonically the same as a noire. I love the aeons in terms of comfort, weight and sound signature but the staging sometimes feels too compressed.

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #33 of 994
2nd this. These headphones are otherwise great for rock/metal - super comfortable sound profile, good bass quality, and detail.....but not hard hitting (maybe you want a dynamic driver?)
Yeah weakpoint compared to some dynamic headphones I listened to. But not compared to other magneplanars I listened to. The weakest of the weak here was the hifiman Ananda. It just compressed like crazy when trying to increase volume.

I currently demo the DCA Aeon 2 Noire and the Ether C flow. Sadly for the wallet I do preferr the Ether C. Though it´s not healthy really want to blast them to sound their best. Listening to Highest hope by nightwish on the kennerton Magni that song start low and just grow and grow in dynamics until you explode in eargasms. The DCA:s reach a shelf where they don´t get anymore dynamic. Still there is certainly drive and punch in them they are certainly no slouch and sound quality is just better. But with my magni my glasses is on the floor and my forehead is hitting the desk and all kind of crazy things happen :D. It has a very similar tonal balance to the noire but it just so good at letting loose. I have yet to connect the planars to my speaker amp. I just want to imagine 5W is enough to drive them.

Now they do have drive and dynamics and nightwish do rock with them this is just relative

As for the Noire the only thing I do kind of preferr with them is that they feel more tonally stable and never thin. Ether C I can sometimes feel sounding a bit thin in the mid range at lower volumes but the Noire is always staying true. However it sound a bit congested compared to the Ether C Flow and Magni and with the black filter massively overdamped. I can only ever listen to the noire without the filters.

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #34 of 994
So excited about my incoming noire. I have had aeon 2 closed and aeon flow rt so I definitely know I’m in for a treat.

I was looking for something to use with my dx300 and though I didn’t care for af2c out of my xduoo 5+, I’d still prefer a Dan Clark product at 30% than anything with poor timbre and small soundstage.

For me personally punch and slam characteristics are novelty. Timbre is extremely important to me and probably the worst I’ve heard are out of Hifiman deva, focal clear and lcd x

Reasons I chose noire
Customer service, timbre, soundstage, comfort.

Just some things I heard from reviews. Saying something is not as good as the best, or that you don’t know why this headphone doesn’t slam Bc the bass is so elevated are weak and absurd comparisons.

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #35 of 994
So excited about my incoming noire. I have had aeon 2 closed and aeon flow rt so I definitely know I’m in for a treat.

I was looking for something to use with my dx300 and though I didn’t care for af2c out of my xduoo 5+, I’d still prefer a Dan Clark product at 30% than anything with poor timbre and small soundstage.

For me personally punch and slam characteristics are novelty. Timbre is extremely important to me and probably the worst I’ve heard are out of Hifiman deva, focal clear and lcd x

Reasons I chose noire
Customer service, timbre, soundstage, comfort.

Just some things I heard from reviews. Saying something is not as good as the best, or that you don’t know why this headphone doesn’t slam Bc the bass is so elevated are weak and absurd comparisons.
I'm looking forward to impressions. I just sold my Aeon RT closed and ordered the Noire.

Nov 19, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #36 of 994
I received my Aeon Noire headphones yesterday. They sound awfully good driven by my Poly/Mojo. These are replacing Audioquest Nightowls, which had always struck me as being overrated. I realize the Noire retail for more than the Nightowls did, so not entirely fair to judge them against each other. So suffice it for a say that the Aeon Noire most certainly justifies the price.

I’ve been playing music through them constantly and will continue to do so for a few more days.

Mine came with the stock cord, but knowing how these things tend to matter quite a bit, last night I ordered what should be an upgraded cable from WyWires. They’ve been having a 40% off sale so I opted for the Platinum per their recommendation. I’ll report back any observations after they arrive and get settled in.

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #37 of 994
What do you find wrong with the stock cord? Are you just spending money on cable out of habit?

Nov 20, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #38 of 994
What do you find wrong with the stock cord? Are you just spending money on cable out of habit?
Some people believe cables somehow improve the sound of headphones. While It is not true at all IMO, I do see the benefits of nicer cables mostly in looks and ergonomics.
But the so called "WyWire Platinum" cable (of course they'll recommend the more expensive option) is 600$ :scream: You can get another pair of used Aeon Noires for that price. Or get another headphones or even wait for Mojo 2 to upgrade.

Nov 20, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #39 of 994
I got an occ copper cable for around 80usd and did notice a change in the sound signature (a cable can change the sound signature because the impedence over different frequencies can vary depending on the material used). I had a bit more low end extension with slightly reduced air. Personally i liked how the sound changed although it was subtle.
Again I'm not here to say that cables are an upgrade always depending on how it changes the sound, it can be an upgrade downgrade or it may remain the same. I would say try a few cables and decide for yourself and each time you get a cable note down the material used and figure out what you like. I prefer occ cables, i found them to be the right balance between price and sound. Also try to get them from people who make them for studio use than from audiophile manufacturers, the price markup with audiophile manufacturers is insane.

Nov 20, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #40 of 994
Some people believe cables somehow improve the sound of headphones. While It is not true at all IMO, I do see the benefits of nicer cables mostly in looks and ergonomics.
But the so called "WyWire Platinum" cable (of course they'll recommend the more expensive option) is 600$ :scream: You can get another pair of used Aeon Noires for that price. Or get another headphones or even wait for Mojo 2 to upgrade.
Reasons differ for different people. But it just seemed like it was something he did for every headphone just because you are supposed to.

It´s the least effective way to alter the sound of a headphone so yes silver vs copper tend to be audibly different and you can play with the impedance. But magneplanars is not that sensitive to impedance from what I have heard :)

Best way to go with them in regards of cables is just get cable with spade adapter and hook them to speaker terminals. Now we are talking an upgrade. Cheap stereo receivers constantly outperform my more expensive dedicated headphone amps on my ether C flow. Highly doubt the Noire would be different though I didn´t test that much :)

Stock cable is great and super ergonomics. For portable use surely get a cheap thinner and shorter cable but it´s a lot of money to walk with outside :D

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #41 of 994
Reasons differ for different people. But it just seemed like it was something he did for every headphone just because you are supposed to.

It´s the least effective way to alter the sound of a headphone so yes silver vs copper tend to be audibly different and you can play with the impedance. But magneplanars is not that sensitive to impedance from what I have heard :)

Best way to go with them in regards of cables is just get cable with spade adapter and hook them to speaker terminals. Now we are talking an upgrade. Cheap stereo receivers constantly outperform my more expensive dedicated headphone amps on my ether C flow. Highly doubt the Noire would be different though I didn´t test that much :)

Stock cable is great and super ergonomics. For portable use surely get a cheap thinner and shorter cable but it´s a lot of money to walk with outside :D
I found stock cable too long even for desktop use. Cable clutter drives me crazy Got myself a Hart Audio cable cut to about 4 ft. in length with the interconnect and it is perfect for my use (really happy with their system and have posted about it a few times in various places). Good quality, comfortable and a great price for a custom cable. Do not miss the stock dummer cable at all.

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #42 of 994
I spent money expecting a return on my investment in the form of better sound quality. Obviously.

Nov 20, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #43 of 994
Except it was 40% off as I had stated. At full price, I wouldn’t have purchased one.

Dec 18, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #44 of 994
Any cheap 4.4mm cables for these? Not spending more than $100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back