Dali Headphones
Apr 1, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #751 of 1,056
I don’t have anymore my Beo H9i, but sound quality was one of factors why I have sold them. Dali IO6 SQ is amazing to my ears.
ANC of course is another aspect: IO6 ANC tuned more to low frequency noise (I have tested them during one flight I have done before lockdown, ANC was very comfortable to me but in my office I can hear typing on keyboard), while H9i ANC filters much broader spectrum, hence canceling environmental noise much better.
Damn, I guess I'll try the iO-6 and return them for a h9i if they don't do the job - thank you for your help

Apr 1, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #752 of 1,056
Since there is no app, is there any necessity/possibility to update the firmware?
Asked at the Dali-Support and they told me, that there are no firmware updates available at the moment but if there are some they will be installable via USB. They're doing this with other products as well they told me.

Did anyone manage to use the headphones via USB on linux?
  • I tried it for a few minutes without too much success (didn't dig into it yet). My PC did recognize the headphones in lsusb, but nothing more happened. My Laptop (Thinkpad T420) showed the headphones as input and output devices and I was able to play sound. The sound however was crackling like hell so you could only recognize that it seems to transfer the data to the headphones, but the output was far from being able to understand a word. A short Windows 10 VM test with USB-pass-through worked fine.
After the Dali support told me, that Linux should work quite fine I idgged into it a few more minutes:
  • For my PC it turned out that I'm and idiot and forgot to switch my output in JACK audio. After doing so it had the same results as the T420.
  • Since trying around at the PC seemed to just make things more complicated I fiddled around with the crackling at the Laptop.
    • It seems to be a sample rate related problem. Pulse Audio Choppy/Distorted Sound
    • After going for digital duplex and setting default-sample-rate to 192000 in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf (don't forget to restart pulse daemon afterwards), I could play 44100 files just fine. I was also able to use the volume controls on the headphones. 48000 files still crackling.
    • I stopped my experimentation for now since it is obviously working and just some convenience tinkering needed I guess.

Apr 1, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #753 of 1,056
The Dali ANC seems to be getting very mixed reviews which is concerning.
In my opinion there are two reasons for that:
  1. The passive noise isolation on the Dali's is quite good (compared to those beast mode ANC headphones - Sony, Bose). Therefore the ANC can not have such a big impact even if the end result would be the same (what it doesn't seem to be). I did read the whole 50 pages here and can't remember anyone saying it is not good enough for flying, where in my eyes ANC has to shine.
  2. Good sound vs beast mode ANC is always a hard fight. Since the idea of how ANC works will always change a sound signature more or less, you have to sacrifice in one or the other. So the idea of Dali to get better passive and not the best of the best ANC, still turns out to be a pretty nice combination if u prefer sound over ANC. Personally I cannot stand if ANC makes u feel like the world did just shrink to the size of two earcups. :wink:
In the end that's highly subjective ofcourse.

Apr 1, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #754 of 1,056
But to go back on the Dali, it's slowly growing on me, i can get used to his sound signature and it surprised me from time to time, but again it's over priced.
Nice that you like them. But again:
What makes you think they're overpriced? There should be something comparable which costs less, otherwise it is hard to say it is overpriced.
No offense intended, just curious :wink:.

Apr 1, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #755 of 1,056
Today I´ve added a „Gun-Metall coloured“ MW65 to my DALI IO6 as „Backup“ headphone. „What a sexy looking headphone“, said my wife. And yes its not only looking very nice, it has a very very pleasant sound signature and a very well designed and luxury looking build quality. A keeper definitely an a perfect alternative to my IO-6. Totally happy that I have chosen the MW65, really nice hardware.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #756 of 1,056
Nice that you like them. But again:
What makes you think they're overpriced? There should be something comparable which costs less, otherwise it is hard to say it is overpriced.
No offense intended, just curious :wink:.

They cost considerably more than Sony's flagship NC headphones. I suspect this price is more for the sake of DALI's dealers than anything, as it can easily be discounted from. The price doesn't seem like the kind of thing a regular consumer would pay for them.

Anyhow, here's my review of them.

Apr 2, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #757 of 1,056
Thanks for the review.

They cost considerably more than Sony's flagship NC headphones. I suspect this price is more for the sake of DALI's dealers than anything, as it can easily be discounted from. The price doesn't seem like the kind of thing a regular consumer would pay for them.
True, that they're a bit out of the league as the price goes. But as you said, That's the Dali price.
As compared to the Sony's: If you're considering the Dali's you won't be happy with the Sony's anyways. They're for ANC only. I tested a couple of under 200€ headphones and compared them to my roommates Sony's. They lost even those comparisions if it comes to listening to music. I don't like strong ANC.

Apr 2, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #758 of 1,056
Hi there, returning commenter in this thread. I have run into a potential issue and hope somebody has had experience and/or the Dali representative can chime in:

This morning I noticed when the headphones are off and I adjust the tilt on the ear cups on the IO-4 that a pretty loud and repeating crackle occurs.

I have no idea how this can happen when the switch is off and for the first time since buying I'm concerned about longevity of these.

There's a side issue of the headband needing clicked back into place at the crown on occasion but that's less of a worry.

Any input would be great.

Apr 2, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #759 of 1,056
Don't have the iO-4 (but have the iO-6), and have not heard such crackle. Gather you mean it's from a broken part/plastic? Not electrical? Have you dropped your iO-4?

Apr 3, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #762 of 1,056
Did anyone try the IO-6 (ANC off) or the IO-4 in an airplane? How good is the passive noise reduction in that case?

EDIT: trying to decide if the IO-6 are worth the price, or IO-4 is enough for me.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #764 of 1,056
It's the left cup and it's most definitely electrical. They are switched off so how can this even happen? It's bizarre.

If you turn the switch on, and off again very quickly, the headphones stay on. I think what has happened is that as these headphones are made by an OEM in China, using what is likely common noise-cancelling hardware, the actual design uses a soft-power switch. That is, one that would normally be turned on and off by pressing it in for a couple of seconds. DALI (and I guess other manufacturers) requested a physical on/off switch, so the OEM designed it that way, without making it an actual "hard power" switch.

Did anyone try the IO-6 (ANC off) or the IO-4 in an airplane? How good is the passive noise reduction in that case?

EDIT: trying to decide if the IO-6 are worth the price, or IO-4 is enough for me.

Get the IO-6. The drop in background noise on an airplane is worth it. Otherwise you have to turn the volume up a lot more, which isn't good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back