Dali Headphones
Dec 28, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #631 of 1,056
Hello everyone.
First of all, thank you all guys for your sharings. I'd been in the process of looking for wireless headphones to meet my requirements for quite a bit. Finally, I ended up with buying iO-6 a couple of days ago. And this thread played a significant role in that, it was really useful!

I'm really happy with the way iO-6 sound, the way they look, the absence of touch (sensor) controls, the battery life, the codecs set, so these are amazing and almost perfect headphones indeed.
But as a real perfectionist, I couldn't be silent on dark sides :)

1. Fit.
  • I agree that they are not that comfortable for people with big ears (here I suppose QC35 could be a gold standard). I do feel the pads not only with my earlaps (that doesn't fit inside the pad) but also by the pinnas inside the pads too (oh boy, I hope I use those ear-words properly, lol). So I would also appreciate it if Dali provides the ability to get bigger pads as an accessory.
  • The clamping force a bit stronger than I'd like it to be. When I take them off after some time, I do feel a release. Probably it could be improved in the next generation or maybe with bigger pads :)
2. User experience.
  • Every time I take them out of the case, I have to adjust the length of the band. And there is no way to do it quickly at the same level as I did it before, so I have to make final adjustments again and again. So numbers with lines on the moving parts or smth like that would be really helpful (just as an idea for the next gen too).
  • I believe pausing the music in transparency mode makes much more sense that not pausing. To me personally, the whole idea of transparency is the need to hear what is happening around, i.e. I don't need to listen to anything from the headphones at that moment. I remember @Brintkiks referred to the user research on that, so my take might be too individual, but anyway, with the current approach for transparency mode I would be glad to have at least some way to mute the headphones quickly & directly, i.e. not by taking them off and without interaction with the source device.
3. Flaws.
  • I have some gaps at the ends of the soft part of the band when the band is stretched to put the headphones on the head. Wanted to drop some photos here to get the comments from owners and @Brintkiks but didn't manage to do that (shame on me...).
  • There is not only a constant noise (probably that's what some people called white noise in the thread) mostly in the left driver but also an additional not constant hiss (like radio interference) only in the left one. I can hear it in all three modes (ANC on/off & transparency) in silence, but when music is playing at the usual levels, I don't. However, I'm about to try to replace my pair because of that not constant hiss. I think it's okay to have some general noise for wireless headphones but don't think it's okay to have such an interference.
Some more observations:
  • I have already realized I need to move to more quality source but for now I mostly listen from Google Play Music & YouTube from PC and Android smartphone (HTC U12+). Surprisingly, Google provides a higher volume. It works for both PC (when it's opened from the same browser as YouTube is) and for Android (when the applications are used). Is there anyone else who experiences the same? Just curious if it's expected and what is the reason.
  • One more surprise, definitely positive, my PC with Win10 uses aptX codec with iO-6, not SBC.
Again, I'm happy with iO-6 and will stay with them. All the negativities stated above don't change the fact that they are awesome. And in one week I'm going on a long-distance business trip so will get the flight ANC experience.

P.S.
For anyone interested I was able to compare my set with another with the help of Richer Sounds and mine exhibited noticeably more hiss than the new pair...
Was your hiss a constant flat noise or more like an interference? And did you have it in both drivers equally?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #632 of 1,056
Managed to pickup a pair of IO6’s in black yesterday from Richer Sounds Swiss Cottage. Spoke to a nice chap called Fillip. Had a good demo having returned the PX7’ the day before. Much happier with these lovely balance so long as my glasses are off. I also have the Sony XM3’s which I still think are the second best headphones around. The momentum’s have again that overblown bass also they don’t play well with the Galaxy 10 Sound Assistant app. I use the Sound Assistant app as that means I can adjust the volume in very small steps from the phone. Just one issue was listening to them this morning whilst surfing the web on the phone.Music stopped playing and just had steady tone they then shut off and I repowered them and been fine for 4 hours now. These are truly brilliant so balanced and very natural. Super comfy as well. I would say the ANC hiss is the same as any other cans.

I wonder what Dali’s @Brintkiks thoughts are for firmware updates? I do find that the male voice could be louder and the background music quieter when the ANC button is pressed same for transparency the music drowns out speech.

I love the simplicity of these no app to get frustrated with indeed the only app I have found work reliably is the Sony. And the sound is beautiful.Even better until the end of the year hifonix have them for £314.10 Richer price beat them no issue so for £304.10. I hope this helps. Will post more thoughts soon.

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #633 of 1,056
After spending the last few months on this thread an hour ago I bit the bullet and made my first audio purchase of 2020 the IO-4 :L3000:.
Those will be my first set of Bluetooth cans to complement my desktop gear for more casual listening at home and outside.
The freedom factor is the main reason to want these as I understand they will be not match for my desktop set-up and for critical listening.
Two years ago I tried for a couple of days a friend's SONY model (second iteration?) and was not convinced by them.
I really hope BT headphones have come a long way and the Dali will be more to mi liking.
I guess I will know in about a weeks time.
Thank you guys for your insight and thoughts in this forum.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #634 of 1,056
After spending the last few months on this thread an hour ago I bit the bullet and made my first audio purchase of 2020 the IO-4 :L3000:.
Those will be my first set of Bluetooth cans to complement my desktop gear for more casual listening at home and outside.
The freedom factor is the main reason to want these as I understand they will be not match for my desktop set-up and for critical listening.
Two years ago I tried for a couple of days a friend's SONY model (second iteration?) and was not convinced by them.
I really hope BT headphones have come a long way and the Dali will be more to mi liking.
I guess I will know in about a weeks time.
Thank you guys for your insight and thoughts in this forum.

What device will you be using as audio source? Remember that any chain will be as strong as its weakest link. That's what I found out when switching from my Galaxy Note 10+ to my AK SR15 and my FiiO M11 PRO. These have APTX-HD whereas the Note 10+ only has APTX . For me that definitely gave an audible SQ improvement . .

Jan 2, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #635 of 1,056
What device will you be using as audio source? Remember that any chain will be as strong as its weakest link. That's what I found out when switching from my Galaxy Note 10+ to my AK SR15 and my FiiO M11 PRO. These have APTX-HD whereas the Note 10+ only has APTX . For me that definitely gave an audible SQ improvement . .
I will be using my phone: Honor View 20. It supports: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, aptX HD, LE. So on paper it looks good.

Out of curiosity I will also try the internal DAC using USB and the line in from desktop amps, but will most often probably use BT connection from my phone.

What I am not sure is how to chose which BT codec to use. Will the Dali IO-4 (or IO-6 for that matter) automatically lock to the highest quality codec available on the paired device?

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #636 of 1,056
What I am not sure is how to chose which BT codec to use. Will the Dali IO-4 (or IO-6 for that matter) automatically lock to the highest quality codec available on the paired device?

Yes :)

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #639 of 1,056
If you have listened to the Momentum 3's I would be interested in your thoughts compared to the Dali's?
Sadly I haven't. I've only heard a pair of wired Momentums many years back and I felt (back then) that the signature was rather U or V-shaped and that didn't really agree to me. I don't know if the newer Momentums have inherited the same signature or not.

Jan 3, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #640 of 1,056
If you have listened to the Momentum 3's I would be interested in your thoughts compared to the Dali's?

Momentum 3 : Low frequencies are overabundant and it does not serve att all some songs. But the sound it delivers is dynamic and HD.
Dali is more balanced and clean. Separations are better.
In order I prefer
Io-6
Momentum 3
Px7

I'd like to compare io-6 vs Amiron Copper.

Jan 4, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #641 of 1,056
Hi!

Has anybody found any listening experience difference on DALI IO-4 receiving Bluetooth streams from aptX and AAC transmitters?

I mean the case with lossless sources.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #643 of 1,056
Jan 8, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #645 of 1,056
Great! Thanks for letting me know. Are you keeping both the 6 and the 4? Or which ones do you prefer?

I kept the 6 and sold the 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back