Dali Headphones
Dec 16, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #616 of 1,056
Copied from Google :

With Bluetooth 5.0, all audio devices communicate over Bluetooth Low Energy, which means reduced power usage and longer battery life.

How did you think 60 hours was possible if not for BLE (a component of 5.0) not a separate feature.

there is no BLE functionality for the Dali IO... audio streaming isn’t supported via BLE, it’s meant for settings changes or info transmission such as smart watches communicating with the smartphone their paired with.

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #617 of 1,056
Dec 16, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #618 of 1,056
Nice find. Hey WDitters, just curious how your comparisons are coming between the io-4 and io-6. The more I've listened, I think I prefer the i0-6's slightly more exciting sound. And maybe it's just me, but I feel that the sound is a smidge more powerful/louder with the io-6. Are you finding this as well? Of course I'm not speaking night and day, but definitely 12pm as opposed to 9am LOL.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #619 of 1,056
Nice find. Hey WDitters, just curious how your comparisons are coming between the io-4 and io-6. The more I've listened, I think I prefer the i0-6's slightly more exciting sound. And maybe it's just me, but I feel that the sound is a smidge more powerful/louder with the io-6. Are you finding this as well? Of course I'm not speaking night and day, but definitely 12pm as opposed the 9am LOL.

Haven't tried yet. They came in so late that I only had the chance to briefly evaluate them and then connect them to the noise generator and leave on a business trip. By the time I get back this weekend, they will have spent approx 12 consecutive days burning in .. :)

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #620 of 1,056
Haven't tried yet. They came in so late that I only had the chance to briefly evaluate them and then connect them to the noise generator and leave on a business trip. By the time I get back this weekend, they will have spent approx 12 consecutive days burning in .. :)

I am curious to hear your experiences! By the way, do EQ the IO-6 with your DAC?

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #621 of 1,056
Has any who has experienced the hiss/buzz during silence traded their pair for a different set? Did the new set have the hiss too?

I'm debating swapping mine as the hiss mine exhibit is super annoying but worried its just part of the design of the headphones and a new set will have it too. Thanks for any replies.

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #622 of 1,056
Has any who has experienced the hiss/buzz during silence traded their pair for a different set? Did the new set have the hiss too?

I'm debating swapping mine as the hiss mine exhibit is super annoying but worried its just part of the design of the headphones and a new set will have it too. Thanks for any replies.
I have the IO-6 and there is no hiss or buzz on mine.

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #623 of 1,056

Like I said sometime ago here, I've experienced it. It was really noticeable in every mode (ANC/off/transparent) and connection (USB/bluetooth), especially during silence. But in my case it went away after a few hours of use (first, it was appearing and disappearing from time to time and then it went away completely). From that time I don't think I've heard it and I hope it won't come back. If I were you, I would give it a go for a few days and if it won't disappear, then swap them.

Right now I'm a little concerned about my battery indicator though. I know that "90%" means > 90% etc. But I had 2 strange cases when connecting to a PC as a power source:
- "battery level: 60%", connected to a PC and turned them on - "battery level: full".
- "battery level: 50%", connected to a PC, after 20 minutes (I've watched time) "battery level: full".

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #624 of 1,056

I have this light hiss sound when no music is playing too and have seen it mentioned elsewhere. It's pretty minor and doesn't bother me, but I suspect it's 'normal'. Likely not something an exchange would address.

Dec 18, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #625 of 1,056
This possibly has been mentioned in the threads before but I couldn't find the earlier post.

Anyone noticed a midrange shift when listening wired with the iO-6 is switched off, and switched on? I would have thought any internal DSP would have been bypassed when wired regardless if the headphone was switched off or on.

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #626 of 1,056
Thanks for the replies regarding hiss. Really appreciate it. Has anybody heard the Momentum 3's in comparison to the Dali's? How does the hiss compare? Do the Senn's have a quieter noise floor?

I love the audio quality of these but i find the hiss so distracting. Very pedantic I know.

Dec 22, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #627 of 1,056
I do notice too that wired through the jack cable, if On the cans sound different than us set off.
Got a question for brintkiks: can the io-6 connect via usb for listening and avoid the battery charging? Or do these always charge the battery if you plug them with the usb cable?
My concern is sometimes I want to listen them from pc via usb but I'm worried about having it always charging.

Dec 22, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #628 of 1,056
Got the opportunity to listen IO-6. I had only Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones previously, so I don't have many experiences with over-head headphones. But had to send these back multiple times because of build quality issues I had with them.

First impressions with IO-6 were very good. I had read this thread and was knowing little bit what to expect. I really liked how they sound. There was a nice amount of bass, midrange were clear and nice and nice amount of highs. In salon there were Sennheiser Momentum 3 also to what I listened. It had more bass but midrange wasn't so clear anymore.

But for me Momentum 3 and WH-XM1000XM3 were both much more lighter on head and didn't apply su much pressure to my head and ears as IO-6.

Probably I have to go to listen them once more. When I order them then I won't be able to return these.

Dec 22, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #629 of 1,056
I finally finished my comparisons between the io-4 and io-6. I've settled on the io-6.

There were a few things that ultimately lead me to preferring the io-6

1) I like that when using the io-6 with ANC On, I get a better bass response when wearing my glasses as opposed to with ANC off. With the io-4 and io-6 with ANC turned off, I loose some bass response with my glasses on. And I have very thin frames. I end up having to hook my glasses over the ear cups which is fine while at home, but not as practical when out

2) I personally prefer the slight, and I mean slight, boost in the highs with the io-6. Sounds a tad more exciting to my ears. This is with ANC off.

3) I like that with ANC On, the io-6 has a slight bass boost. I find that when in noisier environments, a bass boost is a good thing. Even more so when there's no ANC tech involved. For me, the io-4 struggle a little in noisy environments. Not that the io-6 is as good as the Bose N700, Sony 1000XM3, or B&W PX7, but it's still noticeably better than the io-4. The io-6 gives you some ANC and a bass boost which really help. There's also a slight volume difference, which leads me to #4

4) On my Apple devices, it feels like the io-6 is about 1 click louder than the io-4. To my ears, it sounds like all frequencies have a slight boost overall. All though I believe Brintkiks denied this a few pages back, it sounds to me like the io-6's amp is slightly more powerful. Could just be my ears.

5) Finally, and this one surprised me the most, I noticed some distortion on the io-4 with the power switched on when gaming on my PS4. I didn't notice this on the io-6. At first I equated the issue to burn in, but after a week or so, there was no difference. I connect to a Sound BlasterX G6. During explosions it sounded like the io-4 was really struggling to display the impact. This doesn't happen for me with the io-6. I'm wondering if my io-4 was defective.

All in all, my preference was to prefer the io-4. I already have the B&W PX7 and AirPods Pro for on the go use. I don't necessarily need ANC on the Dalis, and saving the $100 would've been nice. It ultimately came down to my slight preference in the io-6's sound quality, and the slight distortion and volume issue of the io-4. I didn't really feel like hassling with exchanging the io-4 in hopes of finding a unit with less distortion, I just took it as a sign to stick with my io-6 as I loved them from the jump. Also, having the option to use ANC to block noise around the house, and a nice carrying case are definitely bonuses. Just from having ANC, there are times where I will take my io-6 out an about. No matter which you choose though, they are both amazing headphones and Dali should definitely be commended for this amazing first effort.

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #630 of 1,056
For anyone interested I was able to compare my set with another with the help of Richer Sounds and mine exhibited noticeably more hiss than the new pair. Thankfully they agreed and let me swap. Might be worth comparing for anyone else who has an obvious hiss/noise in their pair.

Very happy now as the audio is the best I've heard from a Bluetooth set. They sound even better driven from my Fiio BTR5

Would love the option for some bigger pads though for extended listening! Please Dali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back