DACMagic Plus Impressions
Jan 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #271 of 428
Quote:
Considering how most peoples computers are (USB 2.0) it is too bad that is not the default from the factory.

Just to make it clear there's a difference between USB 2.0 and USB Audio Class 2. I think DM+ is set to USB Audio Class 1 by default because of compatibility. Drivers for USB Audio Class 2 are included in OS X and Linux, but not Windows. Class 2 is actually only necessary, when using sample rates greater than 96KHz.

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #272 of 428
Quote:

Just to make it clear there's a difference between USB 2.0 and USB Audio Class 2. I think DM+ is set to USB Audio Class 1 by default because of compatibility. Drivers for USB Audio Class 2 are included in OS X and Linux, but not Windows. Class 2 is actually only necessary, when using sample rates greater than 96KHz.

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html

I did not know that...This is why I enjoy HF! Great info...Thanks!

beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #273 of 428
I a dacmagic plus to use as volume control for two active speakers and subwoofer. This is good at my computer, but there may be times when I want to bring my speakers and sub to a party, where I will want to play music from my sandisk sansa fuze mp3 player.

Is there some way I could plug my mp3 player into the dacmagic plus? Audio signal to coax or spdif converter?
Or audio to usb converter? I see there are two usb jacks in the back..

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #274 of 428
One is for USB input from a computer and the other is for a bluetooth receiver and is not for connecting to a device.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #276 of 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerGa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I a dacmagic plus to use as volume control for two active speakers and subwoofer. This is good at my computer, but there may be times when I want to bring my speakers and sub to a party, where I will want to play music from my sandisk sansa fuze mp3 player.

Is there some way I could plug my mp3 player into the dacmagic plus? Audio signal to coax or spdif converter?
Or audio to usb converter? I see there are two usb jacks in the back..

This is a no-go. Your mp3 player outputs an analogue signal, whereas the DacMagic Plus only accepts digital input. To make this work you would need an ADC (analogue to digital converter) that outputs a digital audio signal via SPDIF or TOSLINK, in a format the DacMagic understands. I suspect some kind of recording rig would be needed to do this.
Sadly I don't see many options for you other than bringing a laptop, or getting a portable player with digital output (like the Colorfly Pocket Hi-Fi C4 Pro, though it's a great deal more expensive than your sansa). That or get an analogue pre-amp in place of the DacMagic.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leksasd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does anyone have any input on how this would compare with the Asus Xonar Essence One or the Schiit Bifrost?

I'm looking for a comparison with the Bifrost as well.
I have seen a comparison between the DacMagic Plus and the Essence One, however (this test also included the Burson DA-160, Hegel HD11 and Weiss DAC202). LINK (in norwegian).  The article states that the two DACs are very close in performance, but it gives the edge to Cambridge: Airier than Asus, brings out more detail, but has less rythmic drive (less potent bass, I think). They also preferred the Cambridge headphone amp: While less powerful, the sound is clearer and cleaner than Asus (tested with Sennheiser HD 598). They also thought the volume knob gave a higher quality feel than on the Asus.fsdasadfasdf
I own the DacMagic myself, and I think it drives my Denon AH-D7000 very well. I am looking to upgrade though, and I'm considering either getting a Shiit Asgard 2 to go with the DacMagic, or an Asgard 2/Bifrost combo to replace it.
Eventually I think I want the Woo Audio WA6SE or WA5LE, together with a Hegel HD25.

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #277 of 428
HI my first post after lurking for many months.

Earlier in the thread someone asked for a comparison with the Fiio e17/ EO9K combination but didn't get a response. I have the same query.

I use the Fiio set via USB into the EO9K as a DAC/preamp to drive a Tripath amp and B&W speakers. Then I just lift out the e17 to take to work every day to use with my iPod classic and ATHM-50s.I intend to upgrade the Tripath and B&Ws in the near future.

Would there be $550 improvement in SQ for my home HiFi if I bought the DMPlus? Also I may buy a set of AKG Q701s, and I wonder wether the DMPlus or Fiio e17/EO9K would best drive those?

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #278 of 428
I would expect that the DMPlus would be an nice upgrade. The Wolfson DAC chips are excellent.

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #279 of 428
The Fiio uses one wolfson 8740 compared to two of the same in the DMPus - does the dual chips make that big a difference?

USB input to fiio is not asynronous and only goes to 24/96, and that may be a bigger difference?

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #280 of 428
Sometimes you just have to give it a go and see how it sounds to you. Find a vendor that is easy on the return policy and see how you like it. 

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #282 of 428
I have not. It did sound very nice with the DT1350's though....

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #283 of 428
Quote:
I have not. It did sound very nice with the DT1350's though ....

I think (Hope) that it will be ok with my Beyer 250ohm
smile.gif
. This will be my first good quality DAC/AMP. I'm having a hard time to chose between Asus Essence one and DM+. I'll make some upgrades in the future, probably get another AMP. For your experience would you say that DM+ would be good as a standalone DAC ? (I have read that Asus essence have problems with difference volume level  between Left and Right).

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #284 of 428
I really enjoyed my time with the DM+. It is a great DAC and an decent HP amp as well.

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #285 of 428
I would like to make a question. What if I don't want to use the upsampling function? Is it possible to turn it off, or it is something that is automatically done by the DAC? Bit perfect without processing is welcome for me ^-^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back