DACMagic Plus Impressions
Jan 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #166 of 428

Quote:
New Cambridge dac,

http://www.whathifi.com/news/world-exclusive-cambridge-audio-unveils-£19995-dacmagic-100

Wow! I'll wait and see how much it costs here. I've been waiting and watching the DAC game for a long time. I haven't bit the bullet yet...this looks interesting!

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #167 of 428
@jamesnz, thanks for this - have started a new thread, given that its a different product:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/589515/dacmagic-100-impressions#post_8039045

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #170 of 428

The Cambridge ASIO Driver seen no any problem on my system, both lenovo notebook (Win 7 HP) and 2008 imac (bootcamp + xp).
As i know Dell is very poor connect with other devices, such as my office dell desktop computer, many usb reader can not working on.

Please try to use other computer, japanese brand (e.g toshibra ) and lenovo get better for music production and music enjoyment and no harmful.

Good setup ASIO is much better that WASAPI, but CoreAudio+COG on MAC is better that ASIO+Foobar and no headache.

Quote:
OK, got the new system running.

Dell Precision 370 Win7 Pro cca. 2007 USB2.
Drivers set to "Exclusive" mode, so the Foobar
WASAPI plugin controls the action.

USB2 "audiophile" cable with separate
power and digital cables, ebay.hk

DM Plus USB2 drivers with linear PSU

Monster M1000i XLR-RCA

Parasound Zamp v.3

DYI Belden 10AWG 99.9% oxygen free, silver solder. gold plated ring terminals (butane torches run hot!)

ProAc Tablette 50 with sterling silver jumpers on Bell'O stands.

ASIO = FAIL, same at home on my 2010  Dell T7500. Winamp, WMP, plugins poor, Foobar freezes on all
systems. Ran a search "WASAPI better than ASIO" and i was surprised to see the results. Apparently if
you do not mix music WASAPi is just as good.

WASAPI = A-OK with MAIKO (or mother in most Slavic languages) plugin fro Winamp but still buggy, PERFECT with Foobar 24 bit.

So all testing with Foobar WASAPI.

I also tested the system with my Canton Karat M30 D's, they can't hold a candle to the ProAcs.

Sound is filling, soundstage is marvelous, Suburbs of Goa and Radio Jazz Plus excel. AVRO Baroque shines
too, Bartok Radio (national pride:) is reaching new heights.

This little Christmas adventure unfortunately exacerbated my chronic upgraditis again, so now i am in the process of replacing
my cables in the mancave separates system to match the new reference SACD player:)

I just wish manufacturers and software people talked more to each other, computer audio is so much fun but
very painful to implement.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #171 of 428
Anyone compared the dacmagic plus and Asus Xonar Essence One? I have been looking at these two for my new headphones. They are in the same price range. Which one would be best as dac/heaphone amp.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #172 of 428

Quote:
The Cambridge ASIO Driver seen no any problem on my system, both lenovo notebook (Win 7 HP) and 2008 imac (bootcamp + xp).
As i know Dell is very poor connect with other devices, such as my office dell desktop computer, many usb reader can not working on.

Please try to use other computer, japanese brand (e.g toshibra ) and lenovo get better for music production and music enjoyment and no harmful.

Good setup ASIO is much better that WASAPI, but CoreAudio+COG on MAC is better that ASIO+Foobar and no headache.

OOOOOK!!!

I worked on it, had to download the 1.1.11 beta1 of FOOBAR, to allow me to install plugin straight from the .zip file without the "component error"
warning and safe restart requiring plugin delete.

I agree wholeheartedly, ASIO is better!

Thank you for pointing this out again, hours of wasted time were corrected with 10 minutes of googling.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #173 of 428
Hi everyone! Another happy owner of the DM+ here!

I have a MacBook Pro with both Windows 7 and MacOS SL and the DM+ works perfectly with both.
In Windows I managed to make it work with ASIO and WasAPI, but I mostly use ASIO mode.
In MacOS everything is natively supported, so I didn't have to install anything. The only missing part is a but perfect player, and I'm planning to get BitPerfect as soon as v1.0 is ready.

I'm not experienced enough and my years aren't yet trained to detect subtiles characteristics of a system, but the difference between the onboard sound card and the DM+ was immediately and extremely clear. The integrated headphone amp is adequate to power my HD-650.

I'm not really sure about the differences between the 3 different filters. Yes, I understand the mathematical point of view, but when I try to find the differences I hardly find anything. I noticed that I mostly have "minimal" selected when I blind test the filters.

I have two "issues" though:
- sometimes when I turn the DM+ on I hear the "click" from the device, MacOS selects it as output device, but I can't hear anything from it and nothing is indicated for the "incoming sample rate" (leds are all off). This may be a driver problem, because I experienced it only while using MacOS and I just have to turn it off and on again to make it work.
- I hear a high pitched noise coming from the DM+ all the time. I don't know if this is normal. Has anybody else experienced this?

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #174 of 428

Quote:
Hi everyone! Another happy owner of the DM+ here!

I have a MacBook Pro with both Windows 7 and MacOS SL and the DM+ works perfectly with both.
In Windows I managed to make it work with ASIO and WasAPI, but I mostly use ASIO mode.
In MacOS everything is natively supported, so I didn't have to install anything. The only missing part is a but perfect player, and I'm planning to get BitPerfect as soon as v1.0 is ready.

I'm not experienced enough and my years aren't yet trained to detect subtiles characteristics of a system, but the difference between the onboard sound card and the DM+ was immediately and extremely clear. The integrated headphone amp is adequate to power my HD-650.

I'm not really sure about the differences between the 3 different filters. Yes, I understand the mathematical point of view, but when I try to find the differences I hardly find anything. I noticed that I mostly have "minimal" selected when I blind test the filters.

I have two "issues" though:
- sometimes when I turn the DM+ on I hear the "click" from the device, MacOS selects it as output device, but I can't hear anything from it and nothing is indicated for the "incoming sample rate" (leds are all off). This may be a driver problem, because I experienced it only while using MacOS and I just have to turn it off and on again to make it work.
- I hear a high pitched noise coming from the DM+ all the time. I don't know if this is normal. Has anybody else experienced this?

DM+ click sound on start should normal, it from internal relay.
Start DM+ before switch on MAC and switch off MAC before switch on DM+, it is because sometime MAC can not recognize that when DM+ power, all USB use external power may affect, this problem easy come from MAC that WIN because MAC is a unix based system, better detect the USB device when boot up.

High pitched noise may come from ground or external noise, try switch GROUND/LIFT near the USB jack on back, if not try use a better (thick wire) USB cable with filter .

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #175 of 428
Here is one question:

Have any one do any direct comparison between Schiit Bifrost and DM+?

I am really interested in the result of these two.

BTW I am current using ipod touch -> RPX-35 -> HD800, so a upgrade in source is very much needed!

Thanks

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #176 of 428
Here is one question:

Have any one do any direct comparison between Schiit Bifrost and DM+?

I am really interested in the result of these two.

BTW I am current using ipod touch -> RPX-35 -> HD800, so a upgrade in source is very much needed!

Thanks

Keep in mind that you're asking for a comparison between a $450 unbalanced DAC and a $600 balanced DAC/headphone amp/pre-amp :)

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #177 of 428
hi all i plan on buying a DM+ but i am not sure to go for the Silver or Black color.
anyone help me decide? and the faceplate is aluminum right?
and can the wolfsons be switched out for something better or any part upgraded?

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #178 of 428
Does anybody know if the DM+ supports integer mode? I program I use indicates that the device should be compatible, but when I activate that mode I can hear weird stuff like random sounds which are completely unrelated to music (and then the program crashes).

@sclee:
Thanks for your answer.
It always works if I turn it on before the Mac, so that must be the cause.

I tried to change the ground/lift switch, but there's no difference. I don't hear the high pitched noise in the headphones, as it comes from the device. It is not annoying even if I use open-back headphones (it's like the noise made by old CRT televisions), but I wonder if it is normal for the DAC to make that noise.

@extrafuxxyllama:
Faceplate is aluminum, that is correct.
I have the black version and I love the color. With the blue LEDs I think it's extremely cool! :D
I don't have an HiFi system to connect it to (maybe in the future...), but I currently use it with my computer, so I keep it next to the screen. If you want to place it with your system, your taste might help you decide, in particular if you have the chance to check it out in a shop (that's what I did).

I don't know if you can change the ICs, maybe somebody else can help you with that.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #179 of 428
I'm not sure if the DM+ supports Integer Mode but if you're using Audirvana, try launching it in 32-bit mode.  You can do a "get info" on the app and set the option in there (OSX).

I had the same problem and now it works after the 32bit mode setting is enabled.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #180 of 428
Black gets my vote. Just looks sexy! But, it depends on what other equipment you have...
there different shades of silver between manufacturers but black is black.

Quote:
hi all i plan on buying a DM+ but i am not sure to go for the Silver or Black color.
anyone help me decide? and the faceplate is aluminum right?
and can the wolfsons be switched out for something better or any part upgraded?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back