DACMagic Plus Impressions
Nov 30, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #16 of 428
$650 sounds about right, given that its selling here in Oz for $699:

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=583

Our dollar is up and down like a yo-yo courtesy of those lovely people in Greece, but atm its at parity or thereabouts with the USD.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #17 of 428
Anyone have some internal pics to share yet ? I'd love to see what the differences are under the hood vs the original unit. Nice to see CA are not resting on their laurels, the original unit had flaws that needed addressing. That being said I wonder if an entry level Rev 2 unit (minus blue tooth and the preamp) is in the works ? Some trickle down tech so to speak.

Peete.

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #22 of 428
I got one today.  Haven't listen to it for long yet, but first impression is it sound decent.

But I am having some major problem with the CA provided ASIO software in USB mode, it seem to be randomly crashing mid song at the moment, which is very annoying.

Need to have some further listen and run in to see if it really is a problem.

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #23 of 428
Hmmm, seem to be something to do with the buffer size setting in the driver.  I reduce those buffer setting to below what was set on default, and that seem to have solve my problem.

I am running a Win 7 64 bit machine, with Foobar 1.1.9 using DS output.  I will be very interested to see if anyone else have a similar problem.

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #25 of 428

Quote:
I got one today.  Haven't listen to it for long yet, but first impression is it sound decent.

But I am having some major problem with the CA provided ASIO software in USB mode, it seem to be randomly crashing mid song at the moment, which is very annoying.

Need to have some further listen and run in to see if it really is a problem.

may i ask where did you order yours?

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #26 of 428
Seems closer to the AudioLab M-Dac in terms of features. Didn't even know this was on the cards..... I loved my original DacMagic and if I hadn't gone for the M-Dac as an upgrade I would have definately snapped one of these up.

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #27 of 428
Got mine today from Richer Sounds online, they are very short stocked and wont be getting more until mid January 2012.

initial impressions (compared to original Dacmagic Azur).

Much wider,deeper and richer soundstage.Far punchier with a greater sense of rythm. The resolution is very incisive yet silky and effortless with even complex music. As yet there is nothing I dont like about this box - have done all my testing over optical (ASIO), nothing on USB/Co-Ax as yet will give that a burl shortly.

Anyone wondering about the volume control, you can bypass it completely though I didnt find any qualitative difference in doing so. Will report back after a good few hours burn in.

I have an April Music Stello (on loan) and I have to say to my ears the new DM wins accross the board in terms of sheer ability, where before the original DM was simply a wanabe hi-end unit.

Also I Paid £350.

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #28 of 428
Any more impressions on the quality of the headphone out? An online retailer made some inquiries for me and this is the response they received -

Quote: Cambridge UK
I had to dig this info out of the designer...!

Headphones output:

·        Output voltage = 2Vrms

·        THD at 1kHz 0dBFS 24 bit signal with 22kHz low pass filter = 0.001% THD at 20khz 0dBFS 24 bit signal with 80kHz low pass filter = 0.003%

·        S/N ratio = -111dBrA frequency response = 100khz (limited by the DAC low pass filter)

·        Crosstalk @10khz = better than -70dBr

·        Recommend headphone with Impedence between 32 Ohm to 600 Ohm.

By the way, these do sound amazingly good, and the headphone socket is just what we all wanted.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #29 of 428
Done very limited listening using headphones, I have cheapish (£90) Sony over ear headphones and they sound excellent using the HP socket. I cant really compare to other HP outs or other HP's as its something I rarely use.

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #30 of 428
Put an order in today, my dealer said it'll ship from the US distributor on Monday and be ready for pickup Dec 9th or 12th.  The wait begins...
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back