DACMagic Plus Impressions
May 7, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #406 of 428
FWIW: I don’t have this dac anymore. However, I do remember fighting with it to recognise my Sony nwzx2. Got the right cable. I am almost sure that eventually I got it to work after some googling. Think the trick was to connect everything and then turn on the the power. Of course this it not certain that this may be reproducible for your equipment.....

Well that really sucks! Nothing is a great deal if it won't work. And if that's case then I will be leery of buying any DAC.

Shane D

I use the Sony TA-ZH1ES, but tried to get the DACMagic Plus to recognize the Sony DAPs out of curiosity on how it would sound.

But that’s a great post, maybe it will work in the end?

May 7, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #407 of 428
If it didn't work, I could put it in the office between the computer and my Vanatoo T Zeroes.

But honestly, if it is probably not going to work I guess I will just pass on it.

Shane D

You just have to try. I like the sound of the ZX300 more than the headphone out of the DACMagic Plus, though that’s probably because I tend to like warmer signatures. Though I’m sure you have a goal in mind and plan on using the balanced outputs of the DACMagic Plus.

May 7, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #408 of 428
I use the Sony TA-ZH1ES, but tried to get the DACMagic Plus to recognize the Sony DAPs out of curiosity on how it would sound.

But that’s a great post, maybe it will work in the end?

I wonder if the Magic Plus is just too old? It has been in production since 2011. Sony's newest DAP's are only about 2 years old?

Shane D

May 7, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #409 of 428
You just have to try. I like the sound of the ZX300 more than the headphone out of the DACMagic Plus, though that’s probably because I tend to like warmer signatures. Though I’m sure you have a goal in mind and plan on using the balanced outputs of the DACMagic Plus.

I am only looking at a balanced DAC so that I can hook up two amps at once (Loxjie P20 and Burson Fun).

I am still trying to wrap my head around the P20 sound and whether it will be a long term addition to my collection. I do prefer the Burson MUCH more.

Shane D

May 7, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #410 of 428
I wonder if the Magic Plus is just too old? It has been in production since 2011. Sony's newest DAP's are only about 2 years old?

Shane D

There was another poster in the 1Z/1A thread not able to use his DACMagic Plus with Bluetooth at high resolution settings. Though we discovered that the level of Bluetooth was still in development to get to the high resolution level. It was like for publicizing they show high resolution but it’s yet to be on the street. We discovered for his uses he may be better of with Sony LDAC protocol when it’s out. But he is simply wanting to go balanced from the DACMagic Plus to a balanced cable set into on an integrated amp. DACMagic Plus lets you choose between line out or volume controlled balanced out.

He was going optical out from a separate Bluetooth receiver to the DACMagic Plus.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #411 of 428
I’m not the biggest fan of the sound of the DACMagic Plus anymore. I liked it years ago, and I may still get powered monitors for it. But for headphones I like my Sony gear. Though it may rock in balanced mode to amps, I’ve just never used it that way? I just never sell anything, so I’m always with all my purchases....lol.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #412 of 428
I’m not the biggest fan of the sound of the DACMagic Plus anymore. I liked it years ago, and I may still get powered monitors for it. But for headphones I like my Sony gear. Though it may rock in balanced mode to amps, I’ve just never used it that way? I just never sell anything, so I’m always with all my purchases....lol.

I just told the seller that I was going to pass on it. Sigh...

Shane D

May 7, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #413 of 428
I am only looking at a balanced DAC so that I can hook up two amps at once (Loxjie P20 and Burson Fun).

I am still trying to wrap my head around the P20 sound and whether it will be a long term addition to my collection. I do prefer the Burson MUCH more.

Shane D

That’s the thing getting the tone your after. Tone first!

May 7, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #414 of 428
I just told the seller that I was going to pass on it. Sigh...

Shane D

Well I’m not saying it wouldn’t work, though I’ve never been able to get my DACMagic Plus to recognize the Sony DAPs. If anything it was just words of caution, so you don’t get stuck with something you can’t use.

Really though, 9 or 10 years is a pretty long time in the DAC world. Unless of course you really like the sound of something.

May 7, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #415 of 428
Still there are not a lot of cheap balanced DACs out there. Which is maybe why there is still interest in the DACMagic Plus? They sound OK, but there is a whole world of DACs out there that didn’t exist 10 years ago.

May 7, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #416 of 428
I have been fascinated by the SMSL SU-8. I am a sucker for bells and whistles. I was thinking that I would grab it if MassDrop sells it again.
I almost just bought it direct from China on sale. With the 30 day money back, maybe I should do that.

Shane D

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #417 of 428
Well I’m not saying it wouldn’t work, though I’ve never been able to get my DACMagic Plus to recognize the Sony DAPs. If anything it was just words of caution, so you don’t get stuck with something you can’t use.

Really though, 9 or 10 years is a pretty long time in the DAC world. Unless of course you really like the sound of something.

I have never heard one. Liked the look, liked the features and liked the used price.

And the hunt goes on.

Shane D

May 7, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #418 of 428

Did you set your DAC to USB2.0 mode?
I just got some advice from a guy named Torq. He mentioned the above point, plus to turn charging off (on the DAP I assume) and that you have to turn the DAP on first and then the DAC.

If you try those steps it might work for you.

That is one finicky set up.

Shane D

May 7, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #419 of 428
Did you set your DAC to USB2.0 mode?
I just got some advice from a guy named Torq. He mentioned the above point, plus to turn charging off (on the DAP I assume) and that you have to turn the DAP on first and then the DAC.

If you try those steps it might work for you.

That is one finicky set up.

Shane D

Yes, all those things. By 2.0, I assume he means update the driver, yes. Yes, charging always tuned off on the DAP. I’ll try it again.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #420 of 428
Yes, all those things. By 2.0, I assume he means update the driver, yes. Yes, charging always tuned off on the DAP. I’ll try it again.

From the manual, which I assume is old news to you:

Advanced USB audio
The DacMagic Plus is both USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed) and USB 1.1 (Full-speed) USB port compatible.
It will also work with the new USB 3.0 ports where the PC will simply treat the DacMagic Plus as if it
were a USB 2.0 or 1.1 device.
The DacMagic Plus also supports two USB Audio protocols (not the same as the port types
themselves) USB Audio 1.0 (which works over USB 1.1 ports and supports up to 24-bit/96kHz) or
USB Audio 2.0 (which requires a USB 2.0 port and can support up to 24-bit/192kHz).
The default configuration is USB 1.1 and USB Audio 1.0 which works with nearly all common
operating systems and computer types without drivers and supports up to 24-bit/96kHz audio,
simply plug in and play.
In this configuration the DacMagic Plus is able to work at up to 24-bit/96kHz by declaring to your
computer that it can handle any sample rate from 32kHz to 96kHz.
However in some Windows/Mac operating system variants the operating system itself may restrict or
fix the output sample rate or re-sample the audio.
See our online guide at www.cambridge-audio.com/DacMagicPlusSupport on USB Audio for more
details on this. With careful choice of playback software and settings many pitfalls can be avoided.
In particular our free Windows USB Audio 2.0 driver (available from our website) supports up to
24-bit/192kHz audio and WASPI Exclusive or ASIO modes that can give enhanced performance.
A brief explanation of your choices is below:
Switching between USB Class 1 and USB Class 2 operation
Your DacMagic Plus will come set to driverless USB Audio Class 1.0 by default, but it can be
configured to run in either USB Class Audio 1.0 or 2.0 mode. To change USB Class, press in the
‘Filter/ Phase’ button during power up. One of the digital input source LEDs will illuminate to indicate
current USB setting: Digital 1 represents USB Audio Class 1.0, likewise Digital 2 is USB Audio Class
2.0. USB Class is selected by turning the Volume knob, once set simply press the Volume knob and
DacMagic Plus will restart in your chosen mode.

Use with PCs
With the DacMagic Plus switched to USB Audio 1.0 (this is the default setting) the DacMagic Plus
will work with the native Windows XP, Vista or 7 Audio 1.0 driver (no need to load any new driver) and
accept audio up to 24-bit/96kHz.
With the DacMagic Plus switched to USB Audio 2.0 the DacMagic Plus needs the Cambridge Audio
USB Audio 2.0 Driver to be loaded and can then accept up to 24-bit/192kHz (and support ASIO and
WASAPI Exclusive if required).
The driver is available from www.cambridge-audio.com/DacMagicPlusSupport.
Use with Macs
No extra drivers are required. With the DacMagic Plus switched to USB Audio 1.0 the DacMagic Plus
will work with the native Mac OS-X 10.5 (Leopard) or above Audio 1.0 driver and accept audio up to
24/96kHz.
With the DacMagic Plus switched to USB Audio 2.0 the DacMagic Plus works with the native Mac
OS-X 10.5 (Leopard) or above Audio 2.0 driver and can accept audio up to 24/192kHz.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back