DAC/amp to drive K701 suggestions
Aug 13, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #77 of 95
I haven't heard a comparison but while in theory if used only as DAC the PSU of the NFB3 isn't powering an additional headphone driver, and that extra $100 might have been spent on other improvements, but in the end the difference might not actually be audible. In some cases maybe economics made for the $100 price difference - in other words they expect to sell more NFB12's what with more rational actors optimizing their expenditure (ie, more people will buy it and not need a separate amp.) But if you're up to spending on a standalone DAC and an amp in one go, then get the NFB3 and a good amp, maybe from AudioGD too.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #78 of 95
the nft-3 has a better power supply with a better transformer, more filtering, twice the cap rating etc, better pars plus I'm sure the dual wolfsons are implemented differently.  The -12 is quite the deal but if your looking for a DAC only the -3 comes pretty highly recommended. 

You prices and interests are all over the map.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #79 of 95
Quote:
the nft-3 has a better power supply with a better transformer, more filtering, twice the cap rating etc, better pars plus I'm sure the dual wolfsons are implemented differently.  The -12 is quite the deal but if your looking for a DAC only the -3 comes pretty highly recommended. 

x2.  Even the FUN is better (used as an amp/DAC) IME.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #80 of 95

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't say that's true. I've stuck to $600+ for a combo. Eventually I realized that what I was truly after was separate units, and with the amp picked out (Woo 6), I've been trying to nail down a DAC. As I said earlier, I'm not looking to spend more than $400 on it, because at that point my gear would be nearly 3 times as expensive as my cans.

As to my interests: I said right off the bat I'm new. I'm still soaking up information and trying to learn all I can. I know what I want, just not how to get there.

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #81 of 95
cool.  I may have crossed threads.  Anyway, if you already have a woo6 which is very nice I wouldn't even consider the -12.  You be wasting money on parts you can't even use. Plus the woo deserves something nice. I think your best bet is the -3 if not the -2.  I think those are your only real options and they're both great DACs.

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #82 of 95

Quote:
cool.  I may have crossed threads.  Anyway, if you already have a woo6 which is very nice I wouldn't even consider the -12.  You be wasting money on parts you can't even use. Plus the woo deserves something nice. I think your best bet is the -3 if not the -2.  I think those are your only real options and they're both great DACs.

To be honest I'm still on the fence about AGD--are there any options I need to make plain when ordering the NFB-3/2 other than the proper power plug? And to cite another user, what happens if something goes wrong, I'll have essentially paid to ship the thing over the ocean to China 3 times...a fairly expensive endeavor compared with a product made domestically. Are there any reassurances to this, or other manufacturers I should have my eye on for this pairing with the Woo6 and price range?

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #83 of 95

Quote:
To be honest I'm still on the fence about AGD--are there any options I need to make plain when ordering the NFB-3/2 other than the proper power plug? And to cite another user, what happens if something goes wrong, I'll have essentially paid to ship the thing over the ocean to China 3 times...a fairly expensive endeavor compared with a product made domestically. Are there any reassurances to this, or other manufacturers I should have my eye on for this pairing with the Woo6 and price range?

Proper power plug and whether you want the DIR9001 SPDIF receiver or the WM8805 reclocking SPDIF receiver.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #84 of 95
You may want to avoid AGD power plugs all together.

Up until recently you could have bought the NFB-2/3 from AGD's American distributor, Pacific Valve, but it seems they've had a falling out now and they're no longer carrying AGD DACs.

If you have a problem in the first year, AGD reimburses/covers you for shipping both ways (their estimate), and in the second and third years you only have to pay for shipping one way.  Your real concern though isn't paying for shipping, it's this: you can't insure the package properly because they require you to use the same declared value they used when they shipped it you, which is nowhere near the actual value, so if your package is lost in transit, that's that!

PS Audio's DL III, which can be found regularly for $500 used, is one good alternative.  

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #85 of 95

Quote:

Proper power plug and whether you want the DIR9001 SPDIF receiver or the WM8805 reclocking SPDIF receiver.

Can you comment on these receivers?

Quote:
You may want to avoid AGD power plugs all together.

Up until recently you could have bought the NFB-2/3 from AGD's American distributor, Pacific Valve, but it seems they've had a falling out now and they're no longer carrying AGD DACs.

If you have a problem in the first year, AGD reimburses/covers you for shipping both ways (their estimate), and in the second and third years you only have to pay for shipping one way.  Your real concern though isn't paying for shipping, it's this: you can't insure the package properly because they require you to use the same declared value they used when they shipped it you, which is nowhere near the actual value, so if your package is lost in transit, that's that!

PS Audio's DL III, which can be found regularly for $500 used, is one good alternative.  

Sheesh. Even more problems from these guys! It's looking more and more like I should probably just stay away. Hopefully the Bifrost/other Schiit DACs turn out to be a hit, otherwise I dunno what to do for my price range...there's always hope that the rumored Woo DAC will be in the range as well.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #86 of 95
[size=medium]The cord issue has been fixed and pacific valve sent out a message (with my new free power cords) saying the orginal cords shouldn't cause a problem but here were new ones anyway.[/size]

[size=medium]I have no idea, but it looks to me that pacific valve simply doesn't have any DACs at the moment, not that they aren't carrying them.  I'll have to look into that.  I've been watching pacific valve's AGD inventory for a while and it varies quite a bit depending on what they randomly get it.  I've asked them why there weren't carrying certain models before and they said they weren't getting them fast enough - so I'm hoping they didn't just decide to stop getting them all together.[/size]

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #87 of 95
Have you given any thought to alternative headphones since your K701 budget has grown considerably?  It seems you prefer to buy new components, and the cost of a new Woo 6, plus a new Bifrost and the street value of your K701s might add up to a basic higher-end headphone rig.  

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #88 of 95
This is true, I've bought used before so I've never had the experience of breaking in my own gear and it's something I'd love to have.

My plan right now is to own HD650, DT880, and a new pair of K701/2 (as I bought these used). I'd like to do this to be able to pop on a different set of cans and say "wow these sound really different from the others, it's very refreshing!" and as old flagship models from each manufacturer at an affordable price bracket they seem like no-brainers. Is my idea silly? Should I try something else?

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #89 of 95
It's not silly.  Owning both the K701s and HD650s and experimenting with different tubes will give you a look into a variety of different sound signatures. And eventually, if you decide to upgrade, it gives you a better appreciation of what the high-end cans accomplish, not to mention the experience to decide which one is right for you.

But for a similar total cost, you could jump to one of the high-end cans now (with a basic rig).  And that's something you should consider, as transducers make the biggest difference here.  And also if you see yourself investing more into this at some point.

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #90 of 95
Yeah I can appreciate that. It's just that at this point I've sunk no money into this hobby other than a nice soundcard (Auzentech Forte) and a pair of used cans. It feels a lot more comfortable to make smaller purchases spread out over a period of time rather than to jump to $1k cans with no real experience in the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back