D7000 VS. W1000X (quickie)
Apr 28, 2010 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sokolov91

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=medium]Disclaimer:[/size] a number of people have asked for comparisons, especially in the bass region. Skylab is the more competent one to do this review, as he has more experience and better gear. I am also waiting on my Meier Concerto to do any thou rough comparison. This is for your reading pleasure and represents what I heard tonight during a listening sessions.

Source Asus Xonar STX with built in amp. 2x lme 49720HA and 1x 49710NA

OK well I will listen to three songs,

Infect Mushroom - Pletzuturra (psytrance) This song features a bassline that is very deep, but also has notation in the midbass at the same time. I will look to see which headphone captures this best.

Datsik - Jenova Project (Dubstep) This song features a lot of sub bass (50hz and lower.) I will look to see which headphone can hold the sub bass more consistently throughout a song.

CAKE - Jolene (indie rock) this song features a nice steady and articulate bass line that really makes the song whole. I will look to see which headphone gives me the best note differentiation and tracking.

W1000X:

Does nicely with the first song. A little loss in bass definition when things get going, but no loss in volume, so pretty standard. It reaches down nice and low, with a slight mid bass emphasis.

Song 2, W1000X is able to produce a nice rumble throughout the song. When the song gets busier, it is harder to hear but that is a good thing. the 50hz comes off super clean, especially when the song is not crowded. Few of my other headphones can do this... take my HD 600, it is barely audible if it is at all.

Song 3, W1000X does a great job of keeping track of the bass guitar. For the most parts notes are easily distinguishable.

The W1000X's bass adds lots of character and weight to songs, especially symphonies.

D7000

Song 1, bass goes a bit deeper, and is flatter. There does not seem to be any emphasis on any part of the bass. Bass is a little better defined, especially in the very low frequencies. Bass drums have much more weight to them and go *thud* instead of *boom* There actually seems to be LESS bass in this song but it also sounds like the D7000 are under amped.

song 2, sub bass is much more articulate and pronounced/louder. I can also feel bass waves that I cannot hear... very powerful. While the W1000X gets points for making this spectrum audible too, the D7000 outclasses it. You really get definition in these super low notes, even as the rest of the music fills in. However, this is a dubstep song, and these headphones are really suited for this purpose.

Song 3, again here there seems to be a little bit less bass over all. I am having a hard time deciding which headphone does this song best. The bass does cut through the rest of the frequencies (in a good way) on the D7000 so I guess I will give it the slight edge.

I am noticing that the D7000 bass is more "neutral" in the sense it is flatter, and doesn't accentuate any part of the bass region. It is much more clinical than the W1000X without being dry or cold.

When I run my D7000 off my headsix, I do get more bass/better which is why I wanted to wait for my amp to arrive before doing any detailed comparison, but there is some stuff to consider for the time being. I don't want to be one to go on and on about how important components are, but I do feel my impressions will differ with a high quality amp... being better for both headphones.

Both headphones are easily on par, overall refinement going perhaps to the D7000, but the W1000X does some things that are just so good, so right, so awesome
smily_headphones1.gif
. If bass was the ONLY thing you were looking for, I would choose the D7000, but as an overall headphone, you might as well flip a coin. Overall, the W1000X is a better headphone due to looks, build quality, parts, and overall prowess with all music. The D7000 can bloat pretty bad with some songs whereas the W1000X tend to always have a nice soundstage.

If I had to bring only one to a desert island, I would choose a knife, so I could kill myself instead of having to part with one
wink.gif

AGAIN THESE ARE NOT FINAL STATEMENTS AND JUST SO PEOPLE HAVE SOMETHING TO CHEW ON FOR THE TIME BEING!

Sokolov

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 17
Nice write up.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I had to bring only one to a desert island, I would choose a knife, so I could kill myself instead of having to part with one
wink.gif

Nice! So if price is a factor it means that the W1000X would def be an easy choice.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 17
I think you described it very, very well.

The W1000X has mids that are pushed forward compared to the D7000, whose mids are perhaps just very slightly recessed (although I think this much less than some people seem to). This to me is the biggest difference. The D7000 do, maybe as a result of this, have "more bass", but as sokolov91 so well pointed out, the bass on the D7000 is tighter and slightly better defined.

Quite different sounding cans, really, and they make good stable-mates, IMO. In fact, the DX1000 is again quite different - all 3 of the big Japanese woodies make a nice triumvirate
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you described it very, very well.

The W1000X has mids that are pushed forward compared to the D7000, whose mids are perhaps just very slightly recessed (although I think this much less than some people seem to). This to me is the biggest difference. The D7000 do, maybe as a result of this, have "more bass", but as sokolov91 so well pointed out, the bass on the D7000 is tighter and slightly better defined.

Quite different sounding cans, really, and they make good stable-mates, IMO. In fact, the DX1000 is again quite different - all 3 of the big Japanese woodies make a nice triumvirate
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah the headphones over all do sound quite different, and I do agree that the recession of the mids in the D7000 is oft exaggerated and the W1000 do have them pushed forward . I was trying to focus only on bass though.

What do you feel about the differences in soundstage? I feel the W1000X has a better soundstage, but every now and again the D7000 really catch me off guard... maybe not so much with soundstage, but with imaging? I am not sure. Either way, they are phenomenal headphones!

Sadly, I won't be able to join you in your triumvirate, but I will be getting a pair of DX 700 soon. If I like them enough I might one day go for the DX1000.

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 17
I do think the W1000X has the slightly better soundstage, yes. They again are different - the AT seeming to be deeper and better defined, but the Denon being wider and a little "airier".

May 6, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 17
Well my Concerto arrived yesterday and I am EXTREMELY please with it.  Admittedly I have been having tons of fun seeing how far beyond my expectations it is pushing all my headphones and not focusing on D7000 vs. W1000X ^___^.

I will say that with a serious amp the D7000 have absolutely taken off. I could not get over how clear, how precise, and how fast these babies could move. It's as it they got a shot of adrenaline... without the jitters and all the bad stuff haha.

W1000X has improved a fair amount, but not as much as the D7000, but also in a different way I am having a hard time putting into words. In all fairness, the W1000X never sounded like it was missing something or under-amped, the D7000 definitely did. 

When my finals are over I will do a full fledged review!

Oh, and to anyone how is on the fence about buying a Concerto, do yourself a favor a fall off it on the "buy side" because it is simply incredible. 

May 6, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 17
Good to hear that you are enjoying your Concerto.  Looks like I really need to invest in a nice dedicated amp.

May 22, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 17
So whats the final verdict the Denon 7000 or the ATW1000x. I am listening to the Denon and still for me have yet to get the wow factor. I noticed they are getting better and by mid week will have 150 hrs on them and then I can make an informed decision as to whether they are keepers, I probably will order the HE5-LE this week to make a comparison as I can also return them if I don't like them. The W1000X would be harder as I would have to keep them.

May 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #11 of 17
The Denon are generally neutral, but with a but of a "smiley face" response - slightly elevated treble and bass (bass for sure is very powerful).

The W1000X are less neutral.  They sound good to me, and are a fun listen, but their response is lumpier - forward mids, slight lower treble emphasis, lack to very top end air, good bass weight but missing very deep bass.

HE-5LE are as neutral a headphone as you can buy for $700, IMO.

May 22, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #12 of 17
The Denon are also dark sounding to me. I don't hear the hall as well as I do with either my Shure 840 or 701. I have a felling the HE$-LE will be more to my liking than the Denon. I heard them and liked them. I am going to order a pair and compare to Denon. 

May 22, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
The Denon are generally neutral, but with a but of a "smiley face" response - slightly elevated treble and bass (bass for sure is very powerful).

The W1000X are less neutral.  They sound good to me, and are a fun listen, but their response is lumpier - forward mids, slight lower treble emphasis, lack to very top end air, good bass weight but missing very deep bass.

HE-5LE are as neutral a headphone as you can buy for $700, IMO.

Yeah I find the same with the D7000, but depending on the recording, they can get a little crowded due to the closed design, but that is to be expected.

Bass in the W1000X is less deep but I still find there is a fair amount of sparkle at the top. The mids are noticeably more forward than the D7000 which makes them an interesting contrast.

How do either of them compare to the LCD-2 BTW? I read some of your posts and it seems you are generally blown away by them... How is the deep bass on them vs the D7000?

Quote:
The Denon are also dark sounding to me. I don't hear the hall as well as I do with either my Shure 840 or 701. I have a felling the HE$-LE will be more to my liking than the Denon. I heard them and liked them. I am going to order a pair and compare to Denon. 

Coming very soon! I can see how the D7000 would not be suitable for all genres, but I have not had an issue with classical. Piano is very nice on them as those low low chords have great weight and emotional character with the D7000.

May 23, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #14 of 17
The LCD-2 have less of a bass emphasis than the D7000, but their bass is plenty powerful when called for, and they have more bass weight in general than the HD800, for example.

The LCD-2 are better across the board than the D7000, but they are different animals.  I won't be selling my D7000 anytime soon.

May 23, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 17
The Wow factor has arrived. I have been burning these in 24 hrs non stop since Thursday ad had some hours from Tuesday and Wed. close to 100 hrs now and its completely different headphone. The bass is now very tight and controlled. The mids may be very slightly recessed but not in a bad way. The highs are very nice and the sibilance I had been hearing is all but gone unless the recording is sibilant. Now I know why so many love these cans. The refinement is very good. I appreciate the input from this board and it looks as if they are going to stay. Since I own the AKG701 and  like them very much as they have been my reference for over a year and they will stay in what is starting to become a stable I decided to pass on the HE5_LE and I am taking Skylab advice I will look to get the LCD2 next as I want a planar and Rob in his post is very impressed with them. The AHD7000 has become a favorite now that I think they are burned in and all I can what a difference from Tuesday. On Tuesday I said what the hell is everyone talking about but now I know. That is why it is important to listen to burned in cans before making any decisions. I figure I can live with these cans for a long while. I also increased the gain on the Matrix M Stage and it made a noticable improvement for the better. Big step up from the 701. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back