D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions
Jun 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #601 of 680
Every once in a while my D7 goes crazy and the sound gets all garbled and distorted.  The also sounds like it is actually slowed down as well.  This has happened when using the line out to my stereo and with my headphones.  This happens with Spotify and with iTunes.  Any ideas?  When I turn it off and turn it back on it usually works but this can be very annoying. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #602 of 680
I ordered a D7 on June 21st. It should arrive tomorrow. 6 days from China to California, not bad, but I thought it would have arrived faster. It sat in Shenzhen, China for 3 days...

Is there a difference between the analog output RCA connectors on the back and the line out output on the front? I assume they are both fixed line level outputs?

I want to connect it to an amp and speakers. I assume I can use something like this:
SM Pro Audio Nano Patch + Passive Volume Attenuator

as a passive preamp.

I can't wait to see what a difference the D7 makes over using the headphone output on my laptop...

Are there any issues with getting the D7 to work on Windows 7 64-bit? Do I just install the 1.48.0 version driver from the iBasso website?

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #604 of 680
Quote:
Every once in a while my D7 goes crazy and the sound gets all garbled and distorted.  The also sounds like it is actually slowed down as well.  This has happened when using the line out to my stereo and with my headphones.  This happens with Spotify and with iTunes.  Any ideas?  When I turn it off and turn it back on it usually works but this can be very annoying. 

I just got mine today and the same thing happens with mine. But I am using Foobar2000 on Windows 7 64-bit. For me, this is happening fairly regularly. I don't have to turn it off though. Once I switch to another playlist in Foobar, the playback LED turns off and then on again and the sound is back to normal.

The bummer is that this will happen as much as every 5 to 15 minutes.

I also noticed that during playback, the sound will have a "glitch" or brief drop out of the sound but resume. It only lasts a fraction of a second, but it's very noticeable. I can hear a glitch about every 30 to 60 seconds.

I tried using the ASIO4All output as well as the DS:Speaker (XMOS) setting. Both do the same thing. This happens regardless of the bitrate of the source material. It happens with 44.1/16bit all the way up to 192/24 files.

Any ideas on what could be causing these issues?

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #605 of 680
Quote:

I also noticed that during playback, the sound will have a "glitch" or brief drop out of the sound but resume. It only lasts a fraction of a second, but it's very noticeable. I can hear a glitch about every 30 to 60 seconds.

I installed Foobar and the D7 drivers on a different PC (a desktop instead of my laptop) running Windows 7 64-bit and everything is working much better. So far, no garbled sound.

The "glitches" or drop outs are much reduced. However, I can tell that the playback seems to be very sensitive to other tasks or activity running on the same PC. If I am copying files in the background, that will cause glitches in the playback. It seems to be more sensitive when playing back higher bitrate files such as 192k/24bit files.

I also notice more glitches if I am playing back files from my NAS server even though I am on a gigabit network. I would have thought even 192/24 files would be no problem over the network. I can play 1080p movies no problem from the same NAS on the same network...

So it looks like there's nothing wrong with my D7, I just have to make sure nothing else is running on the computer that is playing the music.

Does anyone else have the same problem with background activity?

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #606 of 680
Quote:
Has anyone an idea why the playback LED doesn't shine?

it doesnt lit even when audio is playing?

Quote:

I installed Foobar and the D7 drivers on a different PC (a desktop instead of my laptop) running Windows 7 64-bit and everything is working much better. So far, no garbled sound.

The "glitches" or drop outs are much reduced. However, I can tell that the playback seems to be very sensitive to other tasks or activity running on the same PC. If I am copying files in the background, that will cause glitches in the playback. It seems to be more sensitive when playing back higher bitrate files such as 192k/24bit files.

I also notice more glitches if I am playing back files from my NAS server even though I am on a gigabit network. I would have thought even 192/24 files would be no problem over the network. I can play 1080p movies no problem from the same NAS on the same network...

So it looks like there's nothing wrong with my D7, I just have to make sure nothing else is running on the computer that is playing the music.

Does anyone else have the same problem with background activity?

have you tried WASAPI or the ASIO that came with the driver with high process priority option?

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #607 of 680
Quote:
have you tried WASAPI or the ASIO that came with the driver with high process priority option?

I already had it set to ASIO4All with high process priority on both my laptop and my desktop. Same problem. (Same behavior when I wasn't using ASIO.)

I just tried WASAPI on my desktop and it actually seemed worse. What "output data format" do I use for WASAPI? 24-bit?

(BTW, my playback LED lights up when music is playing.)

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #608 of 680
Quote:

I already had it set to ASIO4All with high process priority on both my laptop and my desktop. Same problem. (Same behavior when I wasn't using ASIO.)

I just tried WASAPI on my desktop and it actually seemed worse. What "output data format" do I use for WASAPI? 24-bit?

(BTW, my playback LED lights up when music is playing.)

Darinf, what spec is the laptop? What cpu/ram does it have? How many apps are you running? Remember if you exceed the total available ram your app's will be swapped to disk and this extra disk activity will impede the playback of your music files.

I'm using a c2d 2.4ghz, 4GB, windows 7 32bit and I haven't had any of the issue you have raised even with 24/192 files.

Forgot to add: I'm using VLC for playback.

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #609 of 680
Quote:

Darinf, what spec is the laptop? What cpu/ram does it have? How many apps are you running? Remember if you exceed the total available ram your app's will be swapped to disk and this extra disk activity will impede the playback of your music files.

I'm using a c2d 2.4ghz, 4GB, windows 7 32bit and I haven't had any of the issue you have raised even with 24/192 files.

I am using an HP laptop:
C2D T7800 2.6GHz with 4GB or RAM (5.9 Windows Experience Index)
Windows 7 64-bit

Part of the problem was definitely my NAS. I also realized that my laptop was recording TV shows in Windows Media Center in the background. I have not tested it yet after disabling the TV recording.
I should upgrade to more RAM. But even with the TV recording running, I have 2034MB of RAM available.

Also, when playing the same audio files over the network in Foobar using the built-in audio output, I don't get any drop-outs or glitches.

On my desktop:
i5 3.2GHz with 4GB of RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

On the desktop, as long as the files are on a local hard drive, everything plays back smoothly even if I am copying files, etc. Once I try to play files over the network, then I get some drop outs.

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #610 of 680
Quote:
I am using an HP laptop:
Windows 7 64-bit

Part of the problem was definitely my NAS. I also realized that my laptop was recording TV shows in Windows Media Center in the background. I have not tested it yet after disabling the TV recording.
I should upgrade to more RAM. But even with the TV recording running, I have 2034MB of RAM available.

Also, when playing the same audio files over the network in Foobar using the built-in audio output, I don't get any drop-outs or glitches.

On my desktop:
Windows 7 64-bit

On the desktop, as long as the files are on a local hard drive, everything plays back smoothly even if I am copying files, etc. Once I try to play files over the network, then I get some drop outs.

if that the case please try this on foobar.
go to preference setup> advanced>playback
try put 500000 on full file buffering, restart foobar and see if issue still persist.

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #611 of 680
Quote:
I am using an HP laptop:
Windows 7 64-bit

On my desktop:
Windows 7 64-bit

Quote:

it doesnt lit even when audio is playing?

If the buffering doesn't cure it you could always try vlc. I play files stored on my HP microserver (gigabit network) which has vpn/utorrent/jdownloader doing their thang and I haven't had any of the issues you are suffering.

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #612 of 680
Quote:

If the buffering doesn't cure it you could always try vlc. I play files stored on my HP microserver (gigabit network) which has vpn/utorrent/jdownloader doing their thang and I haven't had any of the issues you are suffering.

Quote:

if that the case please try this on foobar.
go to preference setup> advanced>playback
try put 500000 on full file buffering, restart foobar and see if issue still persist.

File buffering didn't help on my laptop, but on my desktop, it works much better. Now I can stream over the network without any issues.

I will still have to figure out what's going on on the laptop.

Does VLC playback the audio the same as Foobar? I use VLC all the time to watch video.
(I tried VLC on the laptop. Same problem with the FLAC files. However, I can watch a 1080p mkv movie over the network in VLC with much fewer audio problems on the D7.)

Thanks for all the help!

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #614 of 680
For me the sound went crazy when only the audio was playing and no other apps or programs.  Quite annoying when listening with high volume through me stereo.  Also sounds like it's going to hurt my speakers.  This didn't happen for me when I had the previous firmware version but only the new firmware version works on Windows 8.  For some reason it seems to happen less often when I'm using my headphones.  Just something I have to live with I guess. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #615 of 680
Quote:
For me the sound went crazy when only the audio was playing and no other apps or programs.  Quite annoying when listening with high volume through me stereo.  Also sounds like it's going to hurt my speakers.  This didn't happen for me when I had the previous firmware version but only the new firmware version works on Windows 8.  For some reason it seems to happen less often when I'm using my headphones.  Just something I have to live with I guess. 

Mine was going distorted on my laptop very often. So often, that I could rarely get through a 4 minute song! Totally unacceptable. However, this has not happened on my desktop computer. So for now, I can just use my desktop. Ultimately when I have more time, I will have to troubleshoot the laptop.

I have been using the most recent driver since I thought I had to use that version if I am running Windows 7 64-bit. Maybe I should try the older driver instead.

I have my headphones and an amplifier connected the whole time at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back