D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions
Feb 27, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #421 of 680
Quote:
I heard the same D7 as Rasmushorn this weekend and A/B tested it against my HRT HeadStreamer. I thought I was going to replace the HeadStreamer and get a D7 instead, but I'm keeping the HRT. The D7 sounds great, no doubt about it, but the HRT just has better clarity and a more open and spacious sound. I A/B'ed them using my Westone 3 and a set of AKG K701. They were both great with the W3 but none of them had the oomph to drive the powerhungry beast that is the K701 to it's full potential.

I really do like the volume knob on the D7 and the fact that it has RCA out on the back, makes it way better for semi-permanent desktop duty.

Ahh, don't make me regret my choice of getting the D7!
tongue_smile.gif
J/K... I'm actually pretty happy with the D7, though I should definitely go try the HeadStreamer out when they finally get stock in here! I'll say that the D7 can be warm-skewed and that leads to a lesser perception of clarity, but it's definitely the most resolving DAC/amp I've heard, surpassing the DACPort, to my ears. The line-out actually ups the clarity a notch with IEMs, but lacks the bass control for cans. It's a good thing I have an HD598 and not a K701! My cans are driven very well with the D7.

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #422 of 680

Quote:
Ahh, don't make me regret my choice of getting the D7!
tongue_smile.gif
J/K... I'm actually pretty happy with the D7, though I should definitely go try the HeadStreamer out when they finally get stock in here! I'll say that the D7 can be warm-skewed and that leads to a lesser perception of clarity, but it's definitely the most resolving DAC/amp I've heard, surpassing the DACPort, to my ears. The line-out actually ups the clarity a notch with IEMs, but lacks the bass control for cans. It's a good thing I have an HD598 and not a K701! My cans are driven very well with the D7.

Don't get me wrong, they're both VERY good - but to my ears, with the Westone 3, I preferred the HeadStreamer for it's "spaciousness" 
smile.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #424 of 680

Quote:
"spaciousness" as in soundstage is bigger/better than the d7?

The sound just seems much more open from the HeadStreamer, less confined. I didn't spend enough time A/B'ing them to say anything definitive about which has the best soundstage. Which one is best for you probably comes down to sonic preferences, they're both VERY capable units.

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #425 of 680
The sound just seems much more open from the HeadStreamer, less confined. I didn't spend enough time A/B'ing them to say anything definitive about which has the best soundstage. Which one is best for you probably comes down to sonic preferences, they're both VERY capable units.

Has your d7 been fully burnt in?

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #426 of 680

Quote:
Has your d7 been fully burnt in?

It has been used extensively, but it's not mine - I did the A/B testing against the HeadStreamer at a local meet this saturday. Somebody really should take the plunge and order both so we can get a proper test 
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #427 of 680
When I just got mine it sounded like I'm in a pigeon hole but after long hours of burn in the sound really opened up.

Haven't heard any portable amp that has a much larger soundstage than it though.

You can order one to test :)

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #430 of 680
I had the Headstreamer and the D7 side by side for about a week.  I agree with the comments above that the Headstreamer is a little clearer/open sounding. 

However, I decided to keep the D7 for a few reasons.
(1) I prefer the physical volume knob
(2) 192K support with the D7 and not the Headstreamer
(3) I actually liked the slightly warmer sound of the D7.  If I thought I would use both of them I would have kept both but I really only need one small/portable amp

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #431 of 680

Quote:
I had the Headstreamer and the D7 side by side for about a week.  I agree with the comments above that the Headstreamer is a little clearer/open sounding. 

However, I decided to keep the D7 for a few reasons.
(1) I prefer the physical volume knob
(2) 192K support with the D7 and not the Headstreamer
(3) I actually liked the slightly warmer sound of the D7.  If I thought I would use both of them I would have kept both but I really only need one small/portable amp

Excellent input! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #432 of 680
I placed an order not sure what is going on with it, they sent me an email saying their order system has an error and they didn't see what I ordered. Did this happen to anyone else? Do they generally not give you much info in regards to your order? This has me kind of nervous, not that I have a legitimate reason to be.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #433 of 680
Got a confirmation email today that they shipped, I think people would be more inclined to buy their merchandise if they partnered with Amazon and sold it through there.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #435 of 680

Quote:
D7/P4 Stack w/Topkit & IE80. D7 is fresh out of the box - bit harsh, edgy. Looking forward to burn in.

I experienced similar results out of the box. I also experienced that it smooths out and opens up considerably (whether a result of equipment burn-in, personal "adjustment" to the sound, or some of both - I believe the latter.) I will note that this is through the HP out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back