D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions
Jan 9, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #63 of 680
No-brainer ? Sure, but it has also come along at a time when I'm trying hard to hold off until I see exactly what is going to be rolled out over the next month or two. As I've said before, I have no desire to end up with a drawer full to the brim with portable amps, and each new toy seems better than the one before it. Then there are real-world issues, but I wont drag this thread down into that mire - most of us are in the same leaky boat.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #64 of 680
I wonder how this would stack up as a transport vs the v-link/v-link II, being smaller and about the same price, and offering 192 in addition to being a dac and amp. I must say I am worried about the D7 needing drivers, plug and play is usually a better option.
Lastly, if anyone has tried the Denon D7000 with this little beast please chime in with impressions.
Thank you.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #65 of 680

Quote:
I wonder how this would stack up as a transport vs the v-link/v-link II, being smaller and about the same price, and offering 192 in addition to being a dac and amp. I must say I am worried about the D7 needing drivers, plug and play is usually a better option.
Lastly, if anyone has tried the Denon D7000 with this little beast please chime in with impressions.
Thank you.

i find it interesting that some prefer for plug and play, and not having asio. for me a true asio beats all the alternative thus a driver that gives asio is always a blessing in my book
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #66 of 680
ASIO ? Dude, some of us don't even run Windoze ...... 

(OK. for games and the net, but for the rest I know I can do better)

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #67 of 680

Quote:
ASIO ? Dude, some of us don't even run Windoze ...... 

(OK. for games and the net, but for the rest I know I can do better)

and some of us do? and i think for other than the so called windoze already no need for the driverand seemed PnP(as per Hiflight linux iirc).

also please with all due respect don't 'dude' me.

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #68 of 680
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Driver is required for Windows and it is NOT for the Mac. Once downloaded .rar uncompress utility the install went perfectly for my Asus Windows 7 Netbook/Dell laptop. Plug into a MacBook and immediately recognized as XMOS USB Audio 2.0, no driver necessary.[/size]
[size=10pt]Compared headamp sound quality to D10 using coax out of D7 into D10 via Macbook USB. Jumped back and forth using Grado 60i and 225i (yes, they may be a bit bright and I'm very sensitive to this but other SQ attributes outweigh this for me and can be ameliorated). The most immediate reaction is the bass is deeper with the D7 and slightly larger soundstage, but close, very close. The D10 was HiFlight modded for warmer op-amps and the D7 matched this very closely stock (nowhere as bright as standard/stock D10). For the price this is a steal and should be considered seriously by all interested. I will have other comments compared to D6/DacMagic/Benchmark/MF V-Dac/V-Link. [/size]

[size=10pt][/size]

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #73 of 680
Just checking in.  The D7 has been expertly reviewed here by our more experienced members, so I'm not going to ramble on.  However, for anyone curious, it does 24/192 just fine.  Get Your Ya-Ya's Out! downloaded from HDtracks sounds awesome!  Although I think I'm done there for a while, it's getting a little pricey.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #74 of 680
I've just received my D7 and am very surprised about how light and well built the thing is. Been listening to my DT770 Pro 80's for the last half hour or so and it drives them without a sweat.. and overall seemingly much better than my former uDAC. More detail, better staging, less colour overall. And most importantly, no channel imbalance that I can hear as of yet even at low volumes.

Still early so more impressions to come after I've spent more time with it :)

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #75 of 680
K_19, thanks for your impressions, but I have a vice-like grip on my wallet atm. Vice-like, but steadily being loosened by this thread..... 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back