D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions
Jan 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #32 of 680

Quote:
How well does the D7 pair with low-impedance IEMs? Any word on output impedance? Having just ordered UM Merlins (12ohm) and looking for a portable amp/dac combo, the D7 does look rather nice!

since d7 have no battery to power it, I wont say its portable. more like transportable.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #33 of 680

Quote:
Try a computer restart and or a different USB port

Thanks pauly!  I downloaded it from iBasso!  I've been listening to my D7 and K550s for a few days now.  They did a great job with this DAC/Amp!

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #35 of 680

Quote:
Semantics aside, do we know anything about the output impedance?

wasnt trying to be semantic. just trying to forewarn you, in case you do planning to buy it for portable use.

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #36 of 680
Ron, iBasso and your good self are really endangering my newfound fiscal restraint. Clearly, its a conspiracy.
rolleyes.gif

You may recall that I expressed interest in pairing the D12 with the P4, even after my original P4 had gone to the great amp retirement home in the sky, on the basis that I would have a 'very-good-DAC' with a 'very-good-amp' (IMO, the P4 is the best single-ended iBasso portable amp, but I haven't heard the D6).

From your impressions, it would appear that the D7 represents a cheaper route to similar audio nirvana, even if I have no immediate need for 24/192 capability beyond a few audiophile downloads that I rarely bother with.

However, I know that as soon as I get my debit Mastercard out I will uncork the genie which tells me that the only way to really to justice to such a combination  (D7+P4) would be with a set of IEMs in the Westone4 / GR10 bracket. All up, well over 800 AUD delivered. Ouch - this is the point where critics of portable audio begin to bray annoyingly in one's ear. 
eek.gif

I know - men, boys and the size of their toys - but right now I'm going to hold off and see where iBasso go with the DX100. Thanks for your detailed impressions on the D7 - incredibly tempting and I reserve the right to change (or lose) my mind between now and the March/April DX100 release. Sure, I'll end up spending that $800, and then some, but at least I can kid myself that I 'held out' for a few months.
biggrin.gif

estreeter

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #37 of 680
Ron, iBasso and your good self are really endangering my newfound fiscal restraint. Clearly, its a conspiracy. :rolleyes:

You may recall that I expressed interest in pairing the D12 with the P4, even after my original P4 had gone to the great amp retirement home in the sky, on the basis that I would have a 'very-good-DAC' with a 'very-good-amp' (IMO, the P4 is the best single-ended iBasso portable amp, but I haven't heard the D6).

From your impressions, it would appear that the D7 represents a cheaper route to similar audio nirvana, even if I have no immediate need for 24/192 capability beyond a few audiophile downloads that I rarely bother with.

However, I know that as soon as I get my debit Mastercard out I will uncork the genie which tells me that the only way to really to justice to such a combination  (D7+P4) would be with a set of IEMs in the Westone4 / GR10 bracket. All up, well over 800 AUD delivered. Ouch - this is the point where critics of portable audio begin to bray annoyingly in one's ear.  :eek:

I know - men, boys and the size of their toys - but right now I'm going to hold off and see where iBasso go with the DX100. Thanks for your detailed impressions on the D7 - incredibly tempting and I reserve the right to change (or lose) my mind between now and the March/April DX100 release. Sure, I'll end up spending that $800, and then some, but at least I can kid myself that I 'held out' for a few months. :D

estreeter

Well, I would likely place myself right up near the head of the parade of those lack will-power and the self-discipline to say no to tempting new audio gadgets. I guess it is still cheaper than having a mistress!!

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #38 of 680
whether the D7 suitable pair with bright characteristics cans? especially with Rs1i and er4B, because ihave both...and still looking for replacement uDac2 i had...I am looking for a dac/amp with warm side for tamed high of both cans...i'm thingking of  (D7+ P4) for Rs1i & er4B...do i not wrong way? sorry for noob question coz i havent amp before...thanks 
normal_smile .gif

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #39 of 680

Quote:
whether the D7 suitable pair with bright characteristics cans? especially with Rs1i and er4B, because ihave both...and still looking for replacement uDac2 i had...I am looking for a dac/amp with warm side for tamed high of both cans...i'm thingking of  (D7+ P4) for Rs1i & er4B...do i not wrong way? sorry for noob question coz i havent amp before...thanks 
normal_smile .gif

I own the RS1i and received my D7 a couple days ago (arrived virtually overnight...I dont know how it ships here faster from China than domestic transit BUT it does!)

It is very nice and compact...

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #40 of 680

Quote:
I own the RS1i and received my D7 a couple days ago (arrived virtually overnight...I dont know how it ships here faster from China than domestic transit BUT it does!)

It is very nice and compact...

Thanks for the answer to the second time My friend, i appreciate it very much...
normal_smile .gif
, ur answer will make me hard sleep tonight..lol
can you give a little impression of sound generated directly from D7 to Rs1i...thanks before

Jan 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #41 of 680
Listening right now with the RS1i...YOU WILL LOVE THIS LITTLE AMP/DAC!

streaming music and it sounds fantastic...listening to DANCE music and drives nice bass and full sound

**What I have always liked about IBASSO stuff is they sound great right out of the gate (out of the box)

***and again this is right out of the BOX

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #42 of 680
It does not drive the LCD-2 as well as it does the RS1i (grados are notoriously easier to drive)

I am now using it as a DAC to feed the P4 and LCD-2 OMG...a marriage made in HEAVEN (and my P4 is stock---cant imagine it getting better but will be upping the ante with HIFLIGHT)...AND MAY I add that the P4 and the RS1i is great too!

*Christian McBride LIVE at TONIC (if you like Modern Jazz, this CD is the ISH...now if I could only find CD3)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back