D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions
Jan 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #46 of 680
I've just purchased this as a replacement for my current uDAC, which is once again giving me channel imbalance problems :frowning2:  (got a replacement unit once already for the same issue). Hoping that D7 is of much better quality. I like how the line level output is separated from the volume pot unlike the uDAC, and headphone output is supposedly decent too so I can use it as an output DAC for my computer speakers and use it to drive my DT770 Pro 80's when I need to use a closed headphone.

Anyways, might do a mini review once it arrives :)

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #47 of 680

Quote:

Here you go...DIY silver mini2mini IC

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
....look at this picture, now i'm banging my had against the wall...especially the added silver colour as i would like....adding silver IC between them makes it look so prettyyy...i'm jealous My Lord...
frown.gif

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #48 of 680
THANKS for the compliments...I am blessed, THANKS to my buddies here at head-fi for all their advice over the last 3 years, I cannot believe how long it has been  JAMATO, HEADPHONE ADDICT, HIFLIGHT, CRAIG-WHIPLASH (he made the LCD-2 cable)

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #49 of 680
Nice pic Paulybatz :) Love to see pics like that.

Awesome portable amps aside - I H-A-T-E myself and my stupid ears for not being able to enjoy Grado phones. DAMNIT! Too bright..
I just love the the looks of RS2i/RS1i. Beautiful.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #50 of 680
What I enjoy most about the D7, and maybe Pauly will agree with me, is that for $175 plus shipping you get more than just a starter piece of equipment.  Now, it's not like I'm going to be invited to have my own booth at the next Can-Jam simply because I have a nice pair of headphones and the D7, but it performs on a level which doesn't leave you feeling like....well, that's nice.... what else is there.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #51 of 680

Quote:
What I enjoy most about the D7, and maybe Pauly will agree with me, is that for $175 plus shipping you get more than just a starter piece of equipment.  Now, it's not like I'm going to be invited to have my own booth at the next Can-Jam simply because I have a nice pair of headphones and the D7, but it performs on a level which doesn't leave you feeling like....well, that's nice.... what else is there.

EXACTLY...however, it IS perhaps the BEST DAC available both at its SIZE and PRICE...and the AMP section can drive even some very high performance phones quite nicely...Ultrasones and the RS1i are no problem, and if you are like me, this is perfect for my setup

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #52 of 680

Quote:
Nice pic Paulybatz :) Love to see pics like that.

Awesome portable amps aside - I H-A-T-E myself and my stupid ears for not being able to enjoy Grado phones. DAMNIT! Too bright..
I just love the the looks of RS2i/RS1i. Beautiful.

Trent, just get a warm amp...or roll some warm opamps

Im going to have one of my professional photog friends take pics of all my stuff

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #54 of 680
this thing smaller than i thought it would be >_>.

on unrelated note does streaming and asio buffer have impact on sound quality?
also is there best setting for both buffer? or this is differ from system to another?

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #56 of 680
OK, I succumbed and purchased given my good experience with the D10 and D6.  Ordered 1/5 and received today...ridiculous!
Initial sense is very smooth via line-out and using my Asus netbook, absolutely rock-solid playing iTunes lossless compressed via J River media Center (WASAPI).  Listening via Grado 225 and Little Dot MkIV SE.  The key to smoothing out the Grados is, infact, a tube amp or warm op-amps.  Hiflight helped me greatly with op-amp selection and it made a world of difference for the D10/6.  I stick with Grados for the midrange and the up close sound stagging.  I recently sold LCD-2 Rev 2's becase of the recessed soundstage (compared to the Grado)  and the very heavy weight.   Of course, needed to install D7 driver (read in an earlier post this was unnecessart?????Comment?).  Will move on to other D7 options but enjoying Tony Bennett too much at the moment.... 

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #57 of 680

Quote:
OK, I succumbed and purchased given my good experience with the D10 and D6.  Ordered 1/5 and received today...ridiculous!
Initial sense is very smooth via line-out and using my Asus netbook, absolutely rock-solid playing iTunes lossless compressed via J River media Center (WASAPI).  Listening via Grado 225 and Little Dot MkIV SE.  The key to smoothing out the Grados is, infact, a tube amp or warm op-amps.  Hiflight helped me greatly with op-amp selection and it made a world of difference for the D10/6.  I stick with Grados for the midrange and the up close sound stagging.  I recently sold LCD-2 Rev 2's becase of the recessed soundstage (compared to the Grado)  and the very heavy weight.   Of course, needed to install D7 driver (read in an earlier post this was unnecessart?????Comment?).  Will move on to other D7 options but enjoying Tony Bennett too much at the moment.... 

I think windows based sytem(ormaybe mac also?) need the driver. but i think installing the driver is better anyway since you got a true asio driver with them.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #58 of 680
I'm curious - of those who are concerned about the 'shrill' highs on some Grado phones, have you tried Bilavideos simple mods ? I completely agree with him in that one of the reasons many are 'ambushed' is because they listen way too loud - opening up my SR60i was the best thing I've ever done. Highly recommended.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #59 of 680

Quote:
I'm curious - of those who are concerned about the 'shrill' highs on some Grado phones, have you tried Bilavideos simple mods ? I completely agree with him in that one of the reasons many are 'ambushed' is because they listen way too loud - opening up my SR60i was the best thing I've ever done. Highly recommended.

or some people are half deaf too!

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #60 of 680

Quote:

I did not try modding my gs1000 or the rs2i. I immedietly felt a big nono, with both of them. I know I probably could have gotten new amps and looked into modding but I felt silly sitting there with expensive hp's that hurt my ears. The gs1000 was so not my hp at all (metal and rock listener) but I sometimes regret selling the rs2i, I compared them to the hd650 and it was not fair. I should have tried to get used to the Grado sound, and maybe I should have looked into modding. 
But, I may get rs1i, and really give them a chance.
Sorry, this rambling about stuff not d7 related..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back