D3 Python and P2 Heron Arrive!
Oct 7, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #106 of 240
the guy at the store also said HD650's can be easily driven by most iBasso's. especially D3 Python

although i myself didnt try.

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #107 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might try adding the transistor buffers included with the opamp kit. I am using the OPA2134 for the ground channel.

Thx for the info HiFlight...i don't have OPA2134 right now maybe i'll try with OPA2604 white label, cause from my memory their both have a lot similarity...

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #108 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by arvee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thx for the info HiFlight...i don't have OPA2134 right now maybe i'll try with OPA2604 white label, cause from my memory their both have a lot similarity...

The OPA2134 has much better noise specs than the 2604. The 2134 is audiophile grade in all its specs.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try the OPA2604 at any rate. Sometimes the ears are more reliable than specs. An ADA4841-2 should also work well for you with your phones.

Ron

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #110 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ron, have you tried the AD8599?

Yes, I have. It sounds very good, but then again, the AD8599 sounds good in everything I have ever used it in.

Right now, I am using the iBasso-supplied LTC6241HV in LR, and their buffer transistors. I have a OPA2134 in ground. I will probably leave the buffers and ground and try some more different LR opamps.

I have been spending quite a bit of time with the D3 and also trying some different opamps in my EF1.

I will get back to the P3 as my next project.

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #111 of 240
Quote:

Yes, I have. It sounds very good, but then again, the AD8599 sounds good in everything I have ever used it in.

Right now, I am using the iBasso-supplied LTC6241HV in LR, and their buffer transistors. I have a OPA2134 in ground. I will probably leave the buffers and ground and try some more different LR opamps.

I have been spending quite a bit of time with the D3 and also trying some different opamps in my EF1.

So, what opamps are you using in your D2 Viper, and then when you compare the rolled D2 vs D3 vs P3 what would you say are the areas holding the D2 Viper back (when previously we both felt the Viper was a step ahead of the D2 Boa)?

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #112 of 240
Quote:

I would agree that if they charged a 100 or more over the price people would maybe take it more seriously. The D3 is an excellent amp and as you mention the dac section is superb and being able to use it as an amp only is icing on the cake.

Ok, so is the P3 (not P2 as in the title of this thread!! :^). . . ) better than the D3 when you fine tune the opamps or just different?

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #113 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would agree that if they charged a 100 or more over the price people would maybe take it more seriously. The D3 is an excellent amp and as you mention the dac section is superb and being able to use it as an amp only is icing on the cake.

Remember they are a Chinese co. and they can charge much less than a US co. and still earn a substantial profit .

Their profit on a D3 might give them the same buying power in China that Ray's Predator profit gives him in the US.

I have to wonder if the D3 were made in the USA would it cost 450.00, not 220.00?

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #114 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember they are a Chinese co. and they can charge much less than a US co. and still earn a substantial profit .

Their profit on a D3 might give them the same buying power in China that Ray's Predator profit gives him in the US.

I have to wonder if the D3 were made in the USA would it cost 450.00, not 220.00?

Yes I know this. What we are saying is that often people don't think they are getting something of quality or performance unless they pay top dollar, no matter where it comes from. The D3 would cost around 450 to 500 if made here. The case is custom and there is much R&D that went into it. Some of the manufacturing cost aren't as cheap as you might think in China and costs have gone up there as well.

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #115 of 240
Quote:

Yes I know this. What we are saying is that often people don't think they are getting something of quality or performance unless they pay top dollar, no matter where it comes from. The D3 would cost around 450 to 500 if made here. The case is custom and there is much R&D that went into it. Some of the manufacturing cost aren't as cheap as you might think in China and costs have gone up there as well.

well said. granted there have been reports of inferior prodcuts coming out china (in particular the recent milk powder incident) and i myself have been skeptical about "made in china" products. but i have to say that d3 is really well made. though it may not be the best amp/dac out there, but it sure has an excellent price/performance ratio imo.

Oct 8, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #116 of 240
may i know which is better pairing up with cowon D2 (cold) and UM2 (warm)? P3 or D3?

i dont need DAC (ruled out D3?) and dont really need OPAMP rolling(ruled out P3?). no options left? :p

In most condition, can P3 succeed D3 in term of SQ with good combo of opamp?

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #117 of 240
If it's me use factory set up, i prefer D3 to pair with cowon D2 and UM2...

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #118 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what opamps are you using in your D2 Viper, and then when you compare the rolled D2 vs D3 vs P3 what would you say are the areas holding the D2 Viper back (when previously we both felt the Viper was a step ahead of the D2 Boa)?

I am using the LTC6241/LMH6655 in the Viper. I haven't yet fully explored the potential of the P3, but as you can also roll the buffers, it has more customizing options than the Viper.

The D3 has, IMO, a more natural, lifelike soundstage and tonal accuracy than either the D2 or P3. The DAC is clearly superior to that of the D2.

If you like bass "Punch" or other such dynamics, probably the D3 would not be the amp of choice.

The D3 more closely resembles the SQ of the iQube than of an RSA portable. It just sounds more real to me than any of the others. Maybe it is more pychoacoustic than measurable.

This is not to say that the P3 will be unable to get a similar SQ, it is just that I haven't spent that much time going thru the possibilities yet.

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #119 of 240
Hi Ron, did you manage to test the D3 against the D1 as well? I am interested to hear your thoughs on how the D3 (stock or rolled) compares with a rolled D1 (DAC LT6241, L/R AD743. Buffers LMH6655) - both in terms of usage as a DAC and as a DAC/amp. Thanks in advance!

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #120 of 240
Quote:

I completely agree, John, I was attempting to bolster your view :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back