D3 Python and P2 Heron Arrive!
Oct 8, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #121 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ron, did you manage to test the D3 against the D1 as well? I am interested to hear your thoughs on how the D3 (stock or rolled) compares with a rolled D1 (DAC LT6241, L/R AD743. Buffers LMH6655) - both in terms of usage as a DAC and as a DAC/amp. Thanks in advance!

I think the D1, with an appropriate selection of opamps can hold its own with the P3, but I think the improved DAC section of the D3 makes it the better choice. I have not achieved the degree of spatial accuracy and detail in the D1 as I have in the D3. We are not talking huge variations here, but rather subtle differences between the two amps.

The optical and coax inputs in the D1 are quite good, and if you have a source with optical out, the D1 is a good amp to keep. It really should be considered as more of a desk amp due the the size.

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #123 of 240
Can't say, as I don't have a D2000 OR a Boa. Maybe somebody else can post impressions. I can say, however, that my D3 makes my HD650s and Klipsch Images sound better than any of my other amps.

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #124 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have outfitted my P3 with the LTC6241HV (solid tube) in LR, and installed the buffer transistors supplied by iBasso in place of the BUF634s. I am continuing to use the OPA2134 for the ground channel.

This is the best P3 combo I have yet tried. It resembles the sound of an expensive tube amp. It is very difficult for me to discern between my EF1, ZH-1, D3 and the Heron.

I think all 4 are so close to the sonic mountaintop that they exceed the ability of my ears to really discern significant differences between them. What differences there are seem to be related more to imaging and soundstage rather than sonic differences.

The above impressions were gained while using my recabled RS1s and listening to instrumental classical sources. Next area of experimentation will be trying all 4 of these fine amps with a variety of different cans and IEMs.

Gotta try this now to see if the P3 sounds more like the D3..

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #125 of 240
Thanks to HiFlight and Marroyo answering my questions, I am a proud owner of a new D3.
Sound
It has 10 hours on it now and I can say that it is the best sounding amp that I own. I can only see the NAD C325BEE being better in sense of openess in the vocals and the smooth and effortless way the NAD conveys music at low volume. Other then that, it is everything HiFlight says it is.
Build
I am rather picky so here goes. One resistor may have been bad at final testing so it was replace, poorly. The resistor was upsidedown and crooked with gobs of solder. For some reason the area around the that resistor was scratched up so the copper traces were showing. The volume pot could not seat fully on the PCB because the back side of it was hitting the second PCB. Because of this the volume pot is canted. From the outside you can the volume knob point down slightly.
Two things I did not like about the design is the hard battery springs. Way too much pressure on the batteries and PCB. The second is due to the small size of this amp, the output plug is too close to the volume knob. My fingers are not large and I am using the small Neutrik plugs but it still annoys me. My fix was to remove the knob and put heatshrink on the bare pot shaft. I feel sorry for those with the Canare F12 plugs.

The main issue being the sound quality, I think this is a great sounding DAC and amp, one of the best. Of corse the price is a plus.

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #126 of 240
Oct 9, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #127 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrScary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta try this now to see if the P3 sounds more like the D3..

If you want the P3 to sound more like the D3, I would suggest using the ADA4841-2 in both LR and Ground sockets, and using the iBasso supplied transistor buffers in the buffer sockets.

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #128 of 240
I've heard that the D2 was a good match with the ES7. Has anyone tested the ES7 with the D3?

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #129 of 240
Quote:

Can't say, as I don't have a D2000 OR a Boa. Maybe somebody else can post impressions. I can say, however, that my D3 makes my HD650s and Klipsch Images sound better than any of my other amps.

Thanks anyway. This product is relatively new so I guess we have to wait until we get more impressions on it paired with the Denon D2000.

But I think it's safe to say that this D3 is a better choice than the Boa no?

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #130 of 240
Quote:

If you want the P3 to sound more like the D3, I would suggest using the ADA4841-2 in both LR and Ground sockets, and using the iBasso supplied transistor buffers in the buffer sockets.

ON the P3 I tried the LTC641HV (solid state tube)in the LR socket the transistors in the buffer sockets and a
Opa2227 in the 3/4 channel and it has a nice tubish sound
and took on a nice wide sound stage thanks for the suggestions HIFlight im more than pleased with the P3 and D3

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #131 of 240
Lornecherry;4837677 said:
what is this amp on eBay? It claims to be iBasso or some sort of knock-off. I like that it has optical in though.

I wondered about that as well-I like optical in with my Macs and PCDPs.

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #132 of 240
My D3 Python arrived today. Right out of the box, I am very pleased with the build quality. It looks great with the charcoal/silver casing. I am listening to it right now with my KSC35's connected to a 5G iPod Video with barqy-made line-out and am hearing many things I've never heard before in very familiar songs. This is with no burn-in at all.

The instrument separation is phenomenal even with these $20 phones. There is absolutely no sibilance or edginess to the sound. The bass is very textured and detailed. It still has the bass slam intact that I love, but I can hear many more nuances with the amp attached. It is very smooth compared with the headphone out of the iPod. I can't wait to get my DT150's in the mail soon. I'll be sure and post with more impressions after I use the DAC and once I receive my new phones.

Oct 9, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #133 of 240
My D3 arrived today.
I had left DHL a sig with directions to leave the package on the porch behind the shrub. Called my nephew to put it in the house since UPS was delivering an Ibiza Rhapsody the same day( too many packages, too much risk )

Get home @ 4:00pm Package is in the house but no ups on the porch.

Signature sheet is still on my door.

Look at Package in the house and it's the Ibiza.
What?
I got text confirm on both DHL and UPS delivery, so I freak. My kid, 16, says chill.
I look on the porch again, no D3, look in the bushes, D3 stuck in the bushes!.

Take the pack inside and there are things rattling around inside.

Open the pack and NO AMP, only the black case USB cable and accesories lose in the plastic bag. The white box for the D3 is opened.

Freak # 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look around and there is the amp in the styrofoam.

The outer package said "opened by DHL in front of shipper for security reasons"

But then they didn't put everything back into the box, just threw it haphazardly into a DHL plastic pouch.

Would iBasso really allow this if they were present during opening? I doubt it.

Security reasons?

I guess the D3 looks like a bomb
beyersmile.png

Anyway, everything arrived in perfect condition. not a scratch anywhere.

and this amp is giving quite adequate 1st impressions.........................

OK, this amp gives an awesome 1st impression
regular_smile .gif

build quality is excellent, the volume control is much better ergonomically than the Move.

These are initial impressions but so far I would agree with mrarroyo and others that this is an exceptional amp that punches way beyond it's price
(think twice the price)

Listening to alac from mac >usb>D3 I am very impressed with this DAC/AMP combo.

I shouldn't say much more , I'm looking forward to comparing D3 with the Move and my other amps and DACs .

One thing I think I can say w/o hesitation is that I don't regret for a moment
making this purchase. This Amp/Dac has enough wow factor out of the box to make you feel sure you didn't waste money.

If I had spent 500.00 (pico/ predator territory) I would still be happy.
I have often spent more than this and been far less impressed.

Oct 9, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #134 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My D3 Python arrived today. Right out of the box, I am very pleased with the build quality. It looks great with the charcoal/silver casing. I am listening to it right now with my KSC35's connected to a 5G iPod Video with barqy-made line-out and am hearing many things I've never heard before in very familiar songs. This is with no burn-in at all.

The instrument separation is phenomenal even with these $20 phones. There is absolutely no sibilance or edginess to the sound. The bass is very textured and detailed. It still has the bass slam intact that I love, but I can hear many more nuances with the amp attached. It is very smooth compared with the headphone out of the iPod. I can't wait to get my DT150's in the mail soon. I'll be sure and post with more impressions after I use the DAC and once I receive my new phones.

Yes, I forgot to mention that.
The separation of voices (meaning any different instrument, be it vocal or instrumental) is VERY impressive with the D3.
There doesn't seem to be any homogenous blend of voices in the same range, which is a quality that distinguishes good amps.

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #135 of 240
Ok, I have never used a DAC/Amp combo before, but I can't seem to get the amp and DAC working at the same time. I have the USB connected to the D3 and my headphones connected to the output on the front, but I get no sound. The music is playing on the speakers, but there isn't anything coming from the amp. Any tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back