D3 Python and P2 Heron Arrive!
Oct 7, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #92 of 240
Oh no...have you seen the Australian dollar recently? It's fallen 29% since July! But I want one!!!! Maybe I need to sell off some stuff...

Oct 7, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #93 of 240
Yesterday (10/5/08) I did a side by side of the D3, Reference, and the SR71A. They had about 85, 550, and 250 hours of burn in respectively.

For cans I used the Yuin PK1 and the Ultrasone PROline 2500. For source I used a Denon DVP-NS300, the IC was an RCA to Mini (copper) by Kimber.

The reference continuous to be the darkest of the three, IMO it does not have the treble extension the other two posses. The SR71A had the widest soundstage w/ the most powerful and deep bass. IMO the D3 was the most balanced and best sounding of the three. It offers the clearest and most detailed presentation.

In the past other amps by Ray (Hornet and Tomahawk) have taken very long hours to be fully burnt in. So I will continue the process and compare them again when the SR71 reaches a total of 500 hours of burn in. By that time the Reference would have 800 and the D3 about 350 hours of burn in.

The D3 is shaping up to be one killer of an unit at a very good price. At the next level (about 10 days away) I will also throw into the evaluation the MiniBox-E+ in stock form (AD8610) and w/ the AD797 op-amps.

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #94 of 240
I look forward to hear your impressions against the Minibox-E+. That is the only headphone amp I ever owned, so I would have trouble comparing just from memory.

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #95 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday (10/5/08) I did a side by side of the D3, Reference, and the SR71A. They had about 85, 550, and 250 hours of burn in respectively.

For cans I used the Yuin PK1 and the Ultrasone PROline 2500. For source I used a Denon DVP-NS300, the IC was an RCA to Mini (copper) by Kimber.

The reference continuous to be the darkest of the three, IMO it does not have the treble extension the other two posses. The SR71A had the widest soundstage w/ the most powerful and deep bass. IMO the D3 was the most balanced and best sounding of the three. It offers the clearest and most detailed presentation.

In the past other amps by Ray (Hornet and Tomahawk) have taken very long hours to be fully burnt in. So I will continue the process and compare them again when the SR71 reaches a total of 500 hours of burn in. By that time the Reference would have 800 and the D3 about 350 hours of burn in.

The D3 is shaping up to be one killer of an unit at a very good price. At the next level (about 10 days away) I will also throw into the evaluation the MiniBox-E+ in stock form (AD8610) and w/ the AD797 op-amps.

I will be upgrading soon. D3 is on my cross hair.

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #96 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by decur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
attn: all senns hd650 lovers like me!
the d3 is the best synergy with the 650s out of all the portables ive owned and currently own!!!!!

I'd be interested in how it drives the HD650.
This amp looks very very good, especially the DAC.
Anyone tried using the DAC to feed any home amp?

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #97 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hi mrarroyo,

have you noticed any significant difference between a out of the box d3 and one with 85 hr burn in?

Oct 7, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #98 of 240
My P3 has 50 hours of burn in with LT6241HV in LR, Bypass Buffer, LM6172 in G makes my DT880 03 250ohm sings vey nice
dt880smile.png
Good Job iBasso
beerchug.gif

Oct 7, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #99 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It drives the HD 650's surprisingly well, perhaps not the same 'sparkle' that I get from the DV 332, but still a great sound. If it were my only amp I'd be very happy with the price/performance.

I have used it as a DAC only with my DV 332, and its pretty good, the difference between the Beresford and the D3 DAC are small, and in favour of the Beresford, but not such a huge deal, in both cases the sound coming from the HD 650's was pretty dammed good.

I've spent so long listening on cans these past few weeks I'm sure 'her indoors' thinks I'm having an affair!

BT

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #101 of 240
P3 in LT6241HVmain,buffer bypass,LM6172ground imo makes my SF5p become too dark and too bassy but with the right op amp combination i'm sure P3 will make nice sinergy with SF5p

Oct 7, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #103 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by arvee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P3 in LT6241HVmain,buffer bypass,LM6172ground imo makes my SF5p become too dark and too bassy but with the right op amp combination i'm sure P3 will make nice sinergy with SF5p

You might try adding the transistor buffers included with the opamp kit. I am using the OPA2134 for the ground channel.

Oct 7, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #104 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The D3 drives my HD650s effortlessly. I am using the D3 DAC to feed my Head-Direct EF1, and it sounds superb. The D3 DAC is able to stand up to very expensive competition.

The quality and performance of the D3 belies its modest price!

Perhaps if iBasso doubled the price and called it an "Audiophile Mark 5" or something of the like, more people would take it seriously!

Oct 7, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #105 of 240
Very intriguing, I hope we can get a detailed comparison between the D3 and Pico DACs soon...anyone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D3 drives my HD650s effortlessly. I am using the D3 DAC to feed my Head-Direct EF1, and it sounds superb. The D3 DAC is able to stand up to very expensive competition.

The quality and performance of the D3 belies its modest price!

Perhaps if iBasso doubled the price and called it an "Audiophile Mark 5" or something of the like, more people would take it seriously!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back