D2000s vs DT770s.
Jan 15, 2012 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

tseliottt

100+ Head-Fier
How would you guys compare the two? In particular, how would you compare the sub bass and bass in general, and the sound stage, detail, and instrument separation? Which one gives a more satisfying sub bass rumble? I'm pretty determined to buy one of these two, and have read a lot of threads involving them, but I don't think I've found enough information to decide for sure. Thanks.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
80 Pro is bassy yes. It's fairly muddy though. If you have the money go for the D2000.

I suppose you meant the bass response itself which can be somewhat muddy depending on amp used but the mids and highs are far from "muddy" sounding on DT770 Pro/80 though.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
How would you guys compare the two? In particular, how would you compare the sub bass and bass in general, and the sound stage, detail, and instrument separation? Which one gives a more satisfying sub bass rumble? I'm pretty determined to buy one of these two, and have read a lot of threads involving them, but I don't think I've found enough information to decide for sure. Thanks.

these guys are mostly right with the d2000 being the better headphone.

the dt770 pro (im talking about the 80 ohm version which is the bass heavy model) has ALOT of bass. mostly lower middle bass and sub-bass. however, the low end does eventually roll-off. there is alot of bass, however, the denon d2000 comes very close to the same quantity. also, the denon seems to go even deeper and give more rumble if the song has alot of sub-bass. the dt 770 pro will have slightly more mid-bass than the d2000, however, neither emphasizes the upper and mid bass very much. also, the dt 770 tends to leak more of the bass into the mids. the mids are very recessed on the dt 770, however they are still smooth and detailed. the denon has better mids that are only slightly recessed and slightly less detailed. both headphones emphasize the treble and have a sparkly end. the denon are less bright than the beyers . after burn-in, both will still seem a little bright on the treble, but the denons definitely less so.

soundstage is bigger on the beyers, a little more smaller and forward on the denons. detail is very good on both cans, i can say the beyers have a little more detail in the high. everything else is the same. except the denons tend to have more bass texture and detail, overall the denons have cleaner bass. however, it can still get muddy and bloaty if you boost the bass too much, the denons however also get louder than the beyers do. separation is somewhat better on the dt 770.

overall, i think the d2000 is the better can.

i currently own d2000 and have sold my dt 770 pros a couple months ago.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 21
It's interesting that you're looking at the D2000 for lots of bass. They're not the first headphone I think of when I think of bass. I chose the DT990s over the D2000s and the bass in these can make the outsides of my ears vibrate. Only catch w/ the DT990s is that they're semi open and need a good amp and source...but their clarity is hard to beat.

The D2000 will be more neutral than the DT770s.

It may help if you tell us what type of music you will be using them with.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
It's interesting that you're looking at the D2000 for lots of bass. They're not the first headphone I think of when I think of bass. I chose the DT990s over the D2000s and the bass in these can make the outsides of my ears vibrate. Only catch w/ the DT990s is that they're semi open and need a good amp and source...but their clarity is hard to beat.

The Denon 5000s did that for me and vibrated my head. I could not stand this and am kinda surprised others like that lol. I modded them into Open Cans and problem solved. A much better can now IMO. The Denon 5000s has more sub bass than the Denon 2000 and 7000s plus it has less mid bass.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
How do the 3 (d2000, dt 770, and dt990) compare when it comes to isolation? especially outside noise in.

The Denons are so so. I mean they are in no means as bad as open cans but you can still hear noise if its loud enough. Then again depending on the volume you are bumping the noise shouldn't be an issue. Not sure about the others though...

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 21
dt 770 isolate better than denon. dt 990s are semi open and dont isolate at all.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
these guys are mostly right with the d2000 being the better headphone.

the dt770 pro (im talking about the 80 ohm version which is the bass heavy model) has ALOT of bass. mostly lower middle bass and sub-bass. however, the low end does eventually roll-off. there is alot of bass, however, the denon d2000 comes very close to the same quantity. also, the denon seems to go even deeper and give more rumble if the song has alot of sub-bass. the dt 770 pro will have slightly more mid-bass than the d2000, however, neither emphasizes the upper and mid bass very much. also, the dt 770 tends to leak more of the bass into the mids. the mids are very recessed on the dt 770, however they are still smooth and detailed. the denon has better mids that are only slightly recessed and slightly less detailed. both headphones emphasize the treble and have a sparkly end. the denon are less bright than the beyers . after burn-in, both will still seem a little bright on the treble, but the denons definitely less so.

soundstage is bigger on the beyers, a little more smaller and forward on the denons. detail is very good on both cans, i can say the beyers have a little more detail in the high. everything else is the same. except the denons tend to have more bass texture and detail, overall the denons have cleaner bass. however, it can still get muddy and bloaty if you boost the bass too much, the denons however also get louder than the beyers do. separation is somewhat better on the dt 770.

overall, i think the d2000 is the better can.

i currently own d2000 and have sold my dt 770 pros a couple months ago.

Wow, what a concise response! This is exactly the information I was looking for. I think I'll definitely go the Denon route now.

Quote:

I listen to a wide range. My last 5 artist played on my mp3 for instance were Smashing Pumpkins, Big L, Burial, Charles Mingus, and Lee "Scratch" Perry.

What I'm buying the headphones for however is mostly Dubstep such as James Blake, Mount Kimbie, and Digital Mystikz. I want the phones to be able to play Dubstep the way it was meant to be played; emphasizing space, emptiness, and most of all that subtle, rumbling, deep, deep sub bass. A lot of hip-hop tracks I listen too also have a deep sub bass that can't be heard on ordinary head phones.

Quote:
The Denon 5000s did that for me and vibrated my head. I could not stand this and am kinda surprised others like that lol. I modded them into Open Cans and problem solved. A much better can now IMO. The Denon 5000s has more sub bass than the Denon 2000 and 7000s plus it has less mid bass.

Are the D5000s really that much better in the sub bass department? If they are, I'll definitely get them instead. Are they worth the difference in price?

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 21
I feel that d2000 is a better can sound wise, but I currently own the dt770 pro 80s instead as they isolate a lot better for my closed headphone needs and found them more comfortable (d2000 had a lack of padding on the headband that bothered me too much). And the 770s still sound quite decent themselves IMO when amped well.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #15 of 21
^ is it a big difference. 

ii had a lower mid-fi amp when i had them.

now i have a WA6-SE and a WA2 which are both  very close to being world-class amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back