D2000 vs HD650 | Comparison & Review
Feb 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #226 of 287
I'm going to sound really fickle and capricious, but I got a relatively decent deal on the D5000s, so I'm going to give them a try. The comfort on the Denons is so much better, so if the D5000s correct or significantly lower the sibilance issues, they might be the way to go. Besides, I don't have too much to lose other than return shipping if things don't work out.

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #228 of 287

[size=medium]
I would recommend performing the Markl mods on the phone or buying it straight from him. There is a significant difference in SQ between the stock and modded, especially if you get his cups and pads. In my opinion, they outperform the stock D7000 quite comfortably.
[/size]

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #229 of 287

Quote:
Why don't you go all the way up and get D7000? Really, if you get 5000 you'll always wonder how 7000 will sound like.
Moreover, you can get amazing deals with D7K.

The lowest I can get the D7000s was $550, which is more than I am currently willing to spend on a single headphone. From what I have read, the mods seem to actually accentuate the highs, which is definitely not the direction I want to go. I'm a bit worried about the stock D5000 still because some people have said that the highs are extended on them, but another person who reviewed the D5000, D2000, and D1001 mentioned that the D5000 did not have the sibilance issues of the D2000 and required no EQing. With the comfort that I found on the D2000s, however, I'm willing to check them out and make my own judgment.

All I know is that I have a hell of a lot of headphones in my possession right now and need to make up my mind.

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #230 of 287

Quote:

I would recommend performing the Markl mods on the phone or buying it straight from him. There is a significant difference in SQ between the stock and modded, especially if you get his cups and pads. In my opinion, they outperform the stock D7000 quite comfortably.

[size=10pt]Sorry, but I'm going to have to cast a descending vote. The MarkL mods took away what I loved about the D5000 and added a large quantity of what I couldn't tolerate.[/size]

[size=10pt]I would, of course highly recommend the stock D7k. Used should get you right in that ball-park. Short of that, maybe the D5k with J$ pads to lessen the bass slightly. And go from there.[/size]

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #231 of 287

Quote:
From what I have read, the mods seem to actually accentuate the highs, which is definitely not the direction I want to go. I'm a bit worried about the stock D5000 still because some people have said that the highs are extended on them, but another person who reviewed the D5000, D2000, and D1001 mentioned that the D5000 did not have the sibilance issues of the D2000 and required no EQing. 

The highs in D5000 are slightly emphasized, but not nearly as much as they are in the D7000.   But D7000 do have better mids (more forward) and bass (more controlled) than D5000.  Sorry to complicate things more.  
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #232 of 287

Quote:
Quote:
From what I have read, the mods seem to actually accentuate the highs, which is definitely not the direction I want to go. I'm a bit worried about the stock D5000 still because some people have said that the highs are extended on them, but another person who reviewed the D5000, D2000, and D1001 mentioned that the D5000 did not have the sibilance issues of the D2000 and required no EQing. 

The highs in D5000 are slightly emphasized, but not nearly as much as they are in the D7000.   But D7000 do have better mids (more forward) and bass (more controlled) than D5000.  Sorry to complicate things more.  
tongue.gif

No worries; I just have to hear them for myself and make a final decision.

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #233 of 287
Can I just say... my d2000's have taken at least 2 weeks burn in to show how good they are. They do  have extended highs but this can easily be adjusted with a decent eq like the one on foobar, ive slightly lowered the last 2 bars on the eq and this has rolled off the highest peak without changing the overall signiture. From what ive read the d5000's are pretty much the same hp only with the wood, so the frequencies may be the same, only the acoustic will sound different.

If money is an issue Steveotron, keep the d2000's they are a brilliant headphone for the price but they need burn in.  

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #234 of 287
I think you mean prominent highs rather than "extended" highs. There's nothing about extended highs that needs the services of an EQ.

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #235 of 287

Quote:
I think you mean prominent highs rather than "extended" highs. There's nothing about extended highs that needs the services of an EQ.

"Extended" highs are stretched out and can be corrected to an extent with the use of an EQ. Prominent highs in the context of what has been discussed would lean more to the sound of the treble being, well.. more prominent! I don't believe that the d2000's have prominent highs, the high end as a whole is very good apart from the extended frequencies at the top. If anything is "prominent" with the d2000's it is the bass.    

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #236 of 287

Quote:

Quote:

"Extended" highs are stretched out and can be corrected to an extent with the use of an EQ. Prominent highs in the context of what has been discussed would lean more to the sound of the treble being, well.. more prominent! I don't believe that the d2000's have prominent highs, the high end as a whole is very good apart from the extended frequencies at the top. If anything is "prominent" with the d2000's it is the bass.    

Unless you have a bat-like hearing, I think you have the wrong impression here. High extension of a frequency response shouldn't sound harsh in any way (with music at least) to the point you have to use EQ to fix the harshness. If you're hearing harshness, it's definitely because the highs are emphasized, or "prominent" like pp312 said. Extension should be irrelevant to EQ unless you're purposely rolling off the response to degrade the headphones. And yes, D2000's highs are definitely emphasized. In some songs I can even hear harshness at 5 to 10 khz.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #237 of 287

[size=10pt]Sorry, but I'm going to have to cast a descending vote. The MarkL mods took away what I loved about the D5000 and added a large quantity of what I couldn't tolerate.[/size]

[size=10pt]I would, of course highly recommend the stock D7k. Used should get you right in that ball-park. Short of that, maybe the D5k with J$ pads to lessen the bass slightly. And go from there.[/size]

X2. I was in the same boat. I was considering buying modded but decided to run stock first to see what I liked or didn't like first before mods. Then you can select what, if any changes you want.

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #238 of 287

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Unless you have a bat-like hearing, I think you have the wrong impression here. High extension of a frequency response shouldn't sound harsh in any way (with music at least) to the point you have to use EQ to fix the harshness. If you're hearing harshness, it's definitely because the highs are emphasized, or "prominent" like pp312 said. Extension should be irrelevant to EQ unless you're purposely rolling off the response to degrade the headphones. And yes, D2000's highs are definitely emphasized. In some songs I can even hear harshness at 5 to 10 khz.

Yeah I hear what you are saying.. with my bat ears!
biggrin.gif
 I think it's just  a case of personal preference for words used in describing sound and how easily we can misunderstand each other. For me, an extended high means that it is stretched higher than it should be and will therefore emphasize the sounds within that frequency range. I also understand that in most good headphones  the frequency response is "extended" beyond what we can actually hear, but "extended" in the context that I am meaning is different. I personally wouldn't have said that the highs of the d2000's are prominent, as this implies to me that they are louder than the other frequencies and I don't believe that they are. "Extended" seems a better description for me as only certain sounds are irritating within the "extended" range (harshness in old recordings for e.g).

Anyways, I think we have "extended" this subject a bit too much and detracted from the debate.

D2000's are better than 650's.
atsmile.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #239 of 287
That may be true but is it worth the extra $300 dollars. Where do we draw the line for diminishing returns :wink:. Btw I love my AHD5000's and they were well worth the price. Selling for $399.00 on amazon. The D7000's are around $700, not worth the price IMO.

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #240 of 287

Quote:
That may be true but is it worth the extra $300 dollars. Where do we draw the line for diminishing returns :wink:. Btw I love my AHD5000's and they were well worth the price. Selling for $399.00 on amazon. The D7000's are around $700, not worth the price IMO.

got mine from JR.com for $595 last month.  FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back