D2000 vs HD650 | Comparison & Review
Jan 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #196 of 287
Actually, to tell you the truth, the detail between those two headphones seemed pretty much the same. If I was to get really picky, I could hear more stuff with the D2000. But we are talking a game of inches here. The only thing I miss switching from the HD650 to the D2000 is the loss of mids. But don't worry, it's not as jaw dropping noticeable as one might think. Just don't worry at all about detail, and don't stress too much about the loss of mids. Once you hear it, you'll know what I'm talking about...

"Life" and "Energy" are two of the best words to describe the D2000. It really does put the life into your music. I've had the D2000 and the HD650 both twice, so I have a very solid impression of them both. And when switching to the HD650 to the D2000, music just starts to pop out at you. Anything along the lines you have mentioned will sound awesome with D2000, more so than the HD650. I even tested some Rammstein you mentioned, and D2000 presents it in a far more effective way than the HD650 does.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #198 of 287
I cannot comment on the HD650 because I have never heard them but I definitely love my Denon D2K's and the addition of the E9 really pumps up the jams.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #199 of 287

Quote:
Quote:
What do you guys think are the better phones for rock / metal / alternative? HD650 or D2K?
Some Bands I listen to:
Rammstein, Porcupine Tree, Disturbed, Judas Priest, Nightwish, AC/DC, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Dream Theater

but also
Diana Krall, Over The Rhine, Dave Matthews Band and Norah Jones

greez

All that music has the D2000 written all over it.

Disagree. I think Sennheiser is a better fit for those type of music, especially Diana Krall, DMB and Norah Jones. IMO Denon shines best with trip-hop music: Massive Attack, Portishead, etc.

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #200 of 287
i find my HD650's to be very versatile. i enjoy them with rock, metal, progressive rock and metal, trip hop, ambient, dubstep, pretty much everything. im not a fan of bloated bass, or razor sharp highs though. i think the 650's sound very natural with pretty much everything.

Quote:
Disagree. I think Sennheiser is a better fit for those type of music, especially Diana Krall, DMB and Norah Jones. IMO Denon shines best with trip-hop music: Massive Attack, Portishead, etc.

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #201 of 287
True, HD650 and D2000 are probably two of the most versatile headphones out there, but they do contrast each other in terms of their strength. While I would rate HD650 9 for acoustic and 8 for electronics, D2000 is the other way around. I listen to pretty much everything as well, but the exact percentage of my playlist consists about 70% electronic/hip-hop and 30% rock/jazz/classical, therefore D2000 technically more suited for my taste. I assume your music library is similar, but opposite of mine 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #202 of 287
Like someone said, I prefer the D2000 for a more lively and energetic experience. The HD650 has a more detailed and refined? sound. They are night and day, so I'm hesitating on selling my D2000. 

In some songs, the D2000s sound much more laid back, but in the same songs, the HD650 sounds more forward. It's hard to describe actually.

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #203 of 287
Thanks for the write-up.  Haven't heard either D2000 or HD650 so can't comment on those headphones.  But I do own D5000, D7000 and HD600 and really prefer HD600.  Our criteria are different, and I put a very high value on the quality of the mids (the home of guitar, piano, violins and voice) which Denons do not get right.  Tonal balance is also very important to me, and Denons' relentless emphasis of bass and treble bring undue attention to these 'euphonic' features, and so break the spell of aesthetic musical experience.  For these reasons I prefer the Senns and rarely listen to the Denons unless I need to use a closed headphone.

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #204 of 287

Quote:
Quote:
What do you guys think are the better phones for rock / metal / alternative? HD650 or D2K?
Some Bands I listen to:
Rammstein, Porcupine Tree, Disturbed, Judas Priest, Nightwish, AC/DC, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Dream Theater

but also
Diana Krall, Over The Rhine, Dave Matthews Band and Norah Jones

greez

All that music has the D2000 written all over it.

I also listening to Rammstein (listening to Live aus Berlin as i'm writing this) Judas Priest, AC?DC, Nightwish but also Iron Maiden, for example, but I love my HD650 with them as well as Yanni, John Mayal and others

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #207 of 287
I love my d2000, i think like most higher end headphones they do require a good break in time. But after about a 100hrs i think that they sound excellent with just about all music that i listen to. I mainly listen to rock though, Alice in chains,Pantera,Tool,Primus,Metallica and such, i have never had a chance to listen to the hd650's but i imagine they sound excellent as well with this music. I currently am running the NuForce Icon uDAC-2  with these and i think it sounds great. However i have the HRT MUSIC STREAMER II + and the shiit lyr on preorder once i recieve that i imagine that these d2000 will sound even better because it feels like the nuforce might not be quite enough power for these puppies.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #209 of 287
I just put in an order for the AH-D2000 for $200 (holler if you need a hookup).

I should be able to have a shootout between the HD650, AKG K701, and AH-D2000 this week using my NuForce HD as the source. I don't plan on keeping these all, so I'll be trying my best to figure the best setup I can for the $.

The HD 650 is great as I've been able to definitely notice a depth to a lot of my music that I couldn't with my Grado SR80i, but I have to admit that there are times where I wish I was a bit more engaged with the music. Although I enjoy the mids, they can definitely get on the high side at times, and I actually don't find the headphones bass-heavy at all, but that might be because of the NuForce HD. Their comfort has been decent, but even with techniques I've used, they still clamp quite a bit and can be tough to wear with glasses.

I have a feeling that the Denons will be more comfortable and will fit a lot of the music I listen to. I am most likely to keep these because I don't have any closed headphones at the moment, and if their comfort is what I expect, it'll be an easy decision to keep these. I'm not too worried about their bass, but I am a little worried about their highs. I had Grados for YEARS, however, and they've never bothered me. They'll probably sound similar to my TripleFi 10 due to their V/U-shaped sound signature, but I'm sure they'll sound better being a full can (I tend to dislike what the seal does with IEMS). I just hope those mids aren't too recessed.

The AKGs were an impulse buy, but I've also eyed them for a long time because they've always been my favorite looking pair of headphones. I think they'd work well as a backup for classical and jazz to the D2000s but they could never be a primary can.

Potential final setups:

1. D2000+AKG K701
2. D2000+HD 650
3. Just HD 650

I don't think I'd do HD 650+AKG K701 since I'd only be left with all open headphones that don't contrast each other enough to justify keeping both, and they'd also be the costliest combination.

Tough decisions, but it's going to be so much fun. Wish me luck!

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #210 of 287

Quote:
I have a feeling that the Denons will be more comfortable and will fit a lot of the music I listen to. I am most likely to keep these because I don't have any closed headphones at the moment, and if their comfort is what I expect, it'll be an easy decision to keep these. I'm not too worried about their bass, but I am a little worried about their highs. I had Grados for YEARS, however, and they've never bothered me. They'll probably sound similar to my TripleFi 10 due to their V/U-shaped sound signature, but I'm sure they'll sound better being a full can (I tend to dislike what the seal does with IEMS). I just hope those mids aren't too recessed.

Ah, don't worry, they are incredibly comfortable. Possibly the highest "initial comfort" out of any headphone I've tried.

Bass isn't as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. You hear the terms, "flabby", "uncontrolled", "overwhelming" quite a bit when reading reviews. But when I actually tried them for myself, I found out the bass to be spectacular, and not in any way "overwhelming" or "flabby" like so many have said. Bass like that makes all music sound good, and really, it's not all THAT much. It's just good bass.

Highs can be a little too present at times, but nothing like the SR80i I once had. Grado's and Beyer's are much, much more bright and fatiguing that the D2000 will ever be. Again, that is preference, and many would disagree, but the D2000's treble is what gives it it's energy. Only on few treble heavy songs will they sound too bright, and on the brink of fatiguing.

Hope you enjoy them! Let us know when they come in, and share you impressions.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back