D2000 vs HD650 | Comparison & Review
Jan 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #166 of 287
The problem here is that i'm really looking at closed cups for a change (and to keep the wife happy as she occasionally complains she can hear music coming from my HD 650s when shes trying to sleep in the next room). That and I can't afford DT990 Premiums.

Quote:
I'd look into the Beyer DT990 if I were you.
I personallhy found the D2000 among the worst headphones I've heard so far.

I can't seem to find these EQ settings you speak of - my search-fu is weak. Can you post a link?

Quote:
Look at my review (very end of the first post).  I give EQ settings for how to make your HD-650 sound the AH-D2000.  The Denon has deeper, boomier bass than the HD-650.  The highs are brighter than the 650 but not as bright as the 880.  Mids may seem recessed, but actually are not.  The deep added bass makes it seem like the mids might get recessed.  But you want extra bass.  Try the EQ first and go from there. 

Quote:
What I'm asking is, are the D2000s on the 'right' side of the DT880s, or the wrong side? Are they much brighter (i.e. erring towards K701s), are the mids more recessed than the DT880s or less? I'd find out myself if i could try some, but I can't, so any help would be rather, well, helpful (!).

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #169 of 287

I liked the part in the discussion where you guys talked about the headphones.

In other news, you know what I find absolutely appalling is that the Denon doesn't come with a case. 

What??? amirite?

Don't test us, you amp-agnostic weirdo....

(Just Messin' with you, Sk).

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #170 of 287

Quote:
He is worried about recessed mids and you direct him to a headphone with more recessed mids than the 880. 
blink.gif

Quote:

He likes the DT880, and (quote) "the Beyers very slightly recessed mids didn't bother me so much",  and he wants more bass and trebble, so: DT990

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #171 of 287

Quote:
Quote:
He is worried about recessed mids and you direct him to a headphone with more recessed mids than the 880. 
blink.gif

Quote:

He likes the DT880, and (quote) "the Beyers very slightly recessed mids didn't bother me so much",  and he wants more bass and trebble, so: DT990

No, not more treble! I don't really want anything brighter sounding than the DT880s, as I said - anything 'worse' than the DT880s and erring toward the K701 is a big no-no. More bass is a yes, however.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #172 of 287
Quote:
No, not more treble! I don't really want anything brighter sounding than the DT880s, as I said - anything 'worse' than the DT880s and erring toward the K701 is a big no-no. More bass is a yes, however.

No more treble eh? Then I would stay away as far as possible from the DT990. Brightest headphone I've ever heard in my life. It makes the DT880 sound like the HD650...

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #173 of 287
I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, it's definitely a step up from the 880's in terms of treble.

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #174 of 287

Quote:
The problem here is that i'm really looking at closed cups for a change (and to keep the wife happy as she occasionally complains she can hear music coming from my HD 650s when shes trying to sleep in the next room). That and I can't afford DT990 Premiums.

I will give shout out to Ultrasones. They don't get enough consideration on this board, IMO. The HFI 580, 680, and 780 all are pretty well regarded, as are the Pro 550, 650, and 750 and 900, but that is out of your budge. I suggest the Pro 750s. Many love them on head-fi, they have a balance between highs and lows that is not exactly neutral, and somebody said they make the music sound like it is supposed to. I hope this helps a bit. BTW, Eby is a great place for cans, Ultrasone especially, and many certified and legit sellers make them available at significantly below MSRP.

Edit: Katun is loving his Pro 900s, so he can vouck for their quality. He is going to write a review soon.

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #175 of 287
Nice Review Katun! Your review makes it clear what aspects of sound your focuses are on and is a good read even for the readers like me that don't have the same preferences as you because everything is laid out clearly and honestly. It is very clear what aspects of sound quality you are not so passionate about because they are not mentioned in the long review. I actually like that style. It is better than some reviews trying to describe soundstage this, refinement that when the person trying to describe those aspects aren't even sure about what they are talking about. 

Two thumbs up on the review even though I find the d2000 to be an inferior headphone vs the HD650

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #176 of 287
really enjoyed the review, I own the 650's and ordered the d2000's a few days ago before reading this so it sounds like I made a good choice

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #177 of 287
Thanks for the review, Katun. I enjoyed the read very much and I really like your honest comments.

I think all your comments and points are very valid, though some aspects you view positively about the D2000 are exactly what I don't like about the headphone. It shows that we all hear differently and have different preferences.

The D2000 is one of my most dissapointing headphone purchases. The treble peak was enough to annoy me and there is the typical mid recession is just too noticeable for my taste. I much prefer the tonality of the cheaper M50, though they don't give you the bass, resolution, and soundstage of the D2000.

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #178 of 287
Quote:
Nice Review Katun! Your review makes it clear what aspects of sound your focuses are on and is a good read even for the readers like me that don't have the same preferences as you because everything is laid out clearly and honestly. It is very clear what aspects of sound quality you are not so passionate about because they are not mentioned in the long review. I actually like that style. It is better than some reviews trying to describe soundstage this, refinement that when the person trying to describe those aspects aren't even sure about what they are talking about. 

Two thumbs up on the review even though I find the d2000 to be an inferior headphone vs the HD650

Thanks! I was waiting for someone to say that.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #179 of 287

Quote:
never heard the D2000, but from what i have read over and over again on here: HD650 > D2000 when it comes to the mid-range. some have also claimed the D2000's bass to sound loose and flabby.

yes, the HD650 midrange is more present.  

I wouldn't describe the D2000s bass as lose and flabby, but it is boomy and could be faster.

Some of these differences take awhile to really hear.  Almost like how it takes awhile for you to tell one twin apart from the other...once you see it you see it...but it may take some time before you see it.  and in the case of music, it really depends on what kind of music you listen to.  the genre and artist.  music that isn't particularly reliant on the mids will not show any meaningful difference there while in other music it will sound as though the vocals are 6 paces away from the mic in a A/B test.

and lastly, the D2000s do have more high end detail, though at the cost of some sharpness in some songs.  Whether or not that is an acceptable trade-off is a function of your listening preferences (genre, volume level, etc.) and your sensitivity to the issue.

My ears are very sensitive, so it's a quandry for  me.

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #180 of 287

Quote:
Thanks for the review, Katun. I enjoyed the read very much and I really like your honest comments.

I think all your comments and points are very valid, though some aspects you view positively about the D2000 are exactly what I don't like about the headphone. It shows that we all hear differently and have different preferences.

The D2000 is one of my most dissapointing headphone purchases. The treble peak was enough to annoy me and there is the typical mid recession is just too noticeable for my taste. I much prefer the tonality of the cheaper M50, though they don't give you the bass, resolution, and soundstage of the D2000.

Glad I'm not the only one for whom the treble peak is too much at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back