D2000 Recabling issue
Sep 16, 2011 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

koy682

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have been dropping by this forum whenever I needed help for my headphones, but I never get to join or leave comments. I just made this accout, and it is nice to meet you guys.

I am trying to mod my Denon AH-D2000 since its plug was bent and does not work properly anymore. Also, I was very annoyed with stock cable anyways.

I am totally a beginner for recabling myself, however, asking other person to do it for me is not an option for me due to my budget.

I have been searching this forum to see how people recabled their d2000 and learned many things. However, I am still not sure which part I should get and what should I do with it. I found a guide to recable the headphone already, but it was not enough.

I see people recommending Monami for cable, but I am frustrated that there are many kinds of monami in the website, and I do not know which one to pick (also the plug)

Well here are some links for the parts, and I will be very grateful for any kind of help. I am really frustrated because people just tell the name of cable, but not amount (I dont know how much I should get).

Cable: http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Bulk-Wire-Cable/Bulk-Audio-Cable/Mogami-Wire-Cable-Corp/W2534-00-A.xhtml?2534%20WH

Plug: http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/3-5-2-5mm-Mini-Connectors/REAN-a-Brand-of-Neutrik-AG/NYS231BG.xhtml?NYS-231BG

Nylon Mesh: http://www.homegrownaudio.com/categories/DIY-Extras/Nylon-Mesh/?sort=pricedesc (I dont even know which one to use...)

Another cable option (silver) : http://www.moon-audio.com/diy-audio-parts/audio-wire/moon-audio-blue-dragon-bulk-headphone-cable.html

If I am missing anything for recabling, please leave comment :)

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 12
You know what, I am a total noob and I just saw some one leaving commnents that said I should look for Item number 2534 at www.markertek.com, and that was what I got. This is why I need help from head-fi people and I am not getting any yet... :frowning2:

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 12
I'll help you out...

Wire (16ft for a 4' cable, 24ft for a 6' cable)
http://www.homegrownaudio.com/products/26-AWG-Copper-Wire%252d-Teflon-Dielectric.html

1/2" techflex

For the plug I like DHC/ZXAC stuff...

Total cost should be like 20 bucks?

It'll sound noticeably better too, I know it's weird coming from me of all people, but the Denon D2k cable is kind of turd-ey, you will notice quite a bit of sonic improvement...

Hope that helps!

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #8 of 12
Using the microphone cable which would save you a bit of time in terms of keeping the 4 cords of your cable together for part of the line and should work for both balanced (L+/-, R+/-) and unbalanced(L, common, R, common).  You don't need the nylon mesh unless that is the look you're looking for, but you might want some heatshrink to touch up the ends of your cords and strain relief right where the cable leaves the headphone to avoid the wire from moving around at the sodder points.  To recable you really only need the cables and a termination plug; everything else is for aesthetics.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 12
There's nothing wrong with using a microphone cable. I use the Mogami Mini mic cable for wiring up headphones (like my new YH-2's). As long as it's OFC then you should be good :wink:

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
It'll work, i have the same cable for my HD600. 

Btw, what's your budget for the project?

I am looking to spend 50~80

Quote:
Using the microphone cable which would save you a bit of time in terms of keeping the 4 cords of your cable together for part of the line and should work for both balanced (L+/-, R+/-) and unbalanced(L, common, R, common).  You don't need the nylon mesh unless that is the look you're looking for, but you might want some heatshrink to touch up the ends of your cords and strain relief right where the cable leaves the headphone to avoid the wire from moving around at the sodder points.  To recable you really only need the cables and a termination plug; everything else is for aesthetics.

So there is no problem using mic cable. That is interesting point for me. Thank you for your help!

I found out that there is relatively fair priced website called doublehelixcable, and I am shopping in there for right now. Any 1 have used this website for DIY?

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:

I found out that there is relatively fair priced website called doublehelixcable, and I am shopping in there for right now. Any 1 have used this website for DIY?

Yup, ordered some parts there for various projects, as well as recommended them to people and got really good feedback from them. Zombie X has his own store as well, both do very good work if you're not in the mood to DIY either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back