D2+?
Sep 7, 2011 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

feteru

New Head-Fier
So, I will soon be getting my first "good" headphones, the Grado SR-80i's. I was also going to get a DAC/Amp with them, to enhance the experience. My budget for DAC and Amp combined is ~$200. I was looking at the iBasso D2+ Boa to use with an iTouch with the iBasso CB07. This comes to around $200, but I was wondering if there would be any better things I could get for the price for the SR80i's. I mainly listen to classic rock, and some electronic music. Any help is appreciated, as this will be my first rig, and first post on head-fi!

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 18
not really unless you want to get up to the $130 range. and Im sure you know that the grados arent the best at electronic music which is the only reason I would even suggest you look at other options. As far as I know grados dont need too much amplification either so maybe you could go with a cheaper model amp save some money there.

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 18
Ok. I will most likely use these headphones mainly for rock, as I mainly listen to electronic with worse headphones when I am on the go. Also, do you have any other suggestions for DAC/Amp that is cheaper while maintaining the same level of quality?

Sep 8, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 18
I had the iBasso D2+ Boa with Grados. I used it both from mu iPod and as a DAC/amp out of my laptop. I thought for the price it was quite good. I liked it better than the Nuforce Icon Mobile that I ended up giving to my brother. Which was still a good little amp for the money.

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 18

I have decided to go with the D2+, since it seems good, and I would rather have an overkill amp than an amp that doesn't do enough, and it isn't too expensive. Thanks for the info!

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 18
Just a heads up, if you can cancel the order, it might be good to do so since iBasso is overhauling their product range. Also, if you're going to exclusively use the device with an iTouch, the DAC is useless, which means that you'll only be making use of the amplifier, which is not good value for money. fiio E11 might be a better option (but I haven't heard any of these with a Grado).

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Just a heads up, if you can cancel the order, it might be good to do so since iBasso is overhauling their product range. Also, if you're going to exclusively use the device with an iTouch, the DAC is useless, which means that you'll only be making use of the amplifier, which is not good value for money. fiio E11 might be a better option (but I haven't heard any of these with a Grado).

When is the D2+ being replaced? I would like to order in the next week or so. Also, can't I use a LOD with an iTouch for the DAC to work. please explain

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #11 of 18
When is the D2+ being replaced? I would like to order in the next week or so. Also, can't I use a LOD with an iTouch for the DAC to work. please explain

Even with an LOD using the iBasso still uses the internal DAC chip of the iTouch. The Wadia and several other docs bypass the DAC.

When I used the iBasso for my iPod, I did so knowingly but also used it's DAC for my laptop. or my iPod, I did so knowingly but also used it's DAC for my laptop.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 18
Are there any portable Amp/DAC's that don't use the iDevice's DAC and are about $200? I would really love to have a DAC for this without spending more than $200, so the CLAS is out of the question :frowning2:
If you know of one that is good, please respond! Thank you!

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 18
Feteru,

Just want to tell you that my SR80i's sound absolutely wonderful with the fiio E11. I don't know if you technically need them with the D2+ BBE, but I like the fact that I can keep the D2+ at half volume without an amp. The E11 adds the controlled bass I was looking for.

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Feteru,

Just want to tell you that my SR80i's sound absolutely wonderful with the fiio E11. I don't know if you technically need them with the D2+ BBE, but I like the fact that I can keep the D2+ at half volume without an amp. The E11 adds the controlled bass I was looking for.

Thank you! 
The E11's are what it shall be then. I wasn't too sure about spending $200 on a DAC for my first ever rig, but did want something to improve the sound. I like the idea of a cheaper Amp, and its great that I know it sounds good with the SR80i's. I will also be using the Fiio L9 for my LOD. 
Thanks for the help with my first "good" sound!

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Are there any portable Amp/DAC's that don't use the iDevice's DAC and are about $200? I would really love to have a DAC for this without spending more than $200, so the CLAS is out of the question :frowning2:
If you know of one that is good, please respond! Thank you!

If I'm not mistaken, there are only 2 at the moment, both of which are quite expensive :S The CLAS and the Fostex HP-P1.
The E11 should be a good investment, the amp is quite nice, def. an improvement over the iTouch internal amp and it has a bass boost function if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back