Cyrus SoundKey portable DAC
Feb 8, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #46 of 185
@god-bluff I too had issues with my SoundKey, but they have been 'solved' by changing the App i used for play-back.
For me Sony Z3C user, I had the following experience...

Apps that I found unusable include (but not limited to); foobar2000,  PlayerPro Music Player,  PowerAmp,  OnkyoHF, Sony Walkman (Default).

Both USBAudioPlayerPro & HibyMusic were capable of clean playback but only in certain modes

JetAudio HD & Air Tunes(beta) both seem to be capable of clean playback...

But Neutron Music Player is the app that I am currently using - Clean playback and a large amount of customisation available – Finally happy with my SoundKey!

Any other App suggestions I should be considering???

Cheers
ids777

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #47 of 185
I have the same phone Z3c plus an old Moto X. UAPP seems cleaner than Walkman but the volume makes it pretty unusable.

Much more than 15 % is pretty deafening. Even with the number of steps available very difficult to modulate. I'm going to try Poweramp.

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #48 of 185
I can confirm no improvement with Poweramp. Very disappointing

You have to question whether the hassle is worth it with these type of devices. The improvement in sound is not great enough IMO over excellent sounding things like the Z3 Compact at least with efficient phones

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #49 of 185
I can confirm no improvement with Poweramp. Very disappointing

You have to question whether the hassle is worth it with these type of devices. The improvement in sound is not great enough IMO over excellent sounding things like the Z3 Compact at least with efficient phones

idk the K1 makes a noticeable improvement on my iPod touch and just works when I plug it in with a cable for DAC's that cost me $12 on amazon.

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #50 of 185
I too was upset with the Cam Kit Cable requirement. JH Audio was able to build MFI compatibility in his low volune DACs. Cyrus ( not 5 miles from JHA) could have done the same.

Audio. A much fuller sound than On board iPhone 6Splus dac. Greater volume and more pleasant sound... Except for the posing and scratching.

I'll let it burn in and hopefully find a reason for the popping.

I live 6 miles from Cyrus. I might just invite them to hear the irregular sound from a device with their brand on it.

I like the sound when it isn't popping and scratching.

Regards
Sceptre

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #51 of 185
Don't get me wrong it does sound very good and better than the phone or I dare say most dedicated players.

When it's not popping skipping (that's probably the worst bit like a record jumping!) and crackling that is! It's all very odd and unsatisfactory.

Hopefully Cyrus will sort this.

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #52 of 185
I'm afraid I'm having problems

I am getting some interference when listening via my (Android) phones. Popping and crackling sounds. Varies depending on USB/ OTG cable a little but is still there

Whilst this may give an authentic sound to old recordings (MW radio or warn LP!) it's a bit distracting :disappointed:

Did you try fixing it by adjusting your sound settings may remedy the problem?

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #53 of 185
@god-bluff have your tried Neutron Music Player yet?  
Neutron worked for me when i used "Direct USB Driver";  Settings --> Audio Hardware --> Direct USB Driver

CAUTION - changing to USB Direct resets the main Volume to '100' - i strongly suggest that you stop play back when you try this.

Cheers
Iain.

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #54 of 185
@god-bluff
 have your tried Neutron Music Player yet?  
Neutron worked for me when i used "Direct USB Driver";  Settings --> Audio Hardware --> Direct USB Driver

CAUTION - changing to USB Direct resets the main Volume to '100' - i strongly suggest that you stop play back when you try this.

Cheers
Iain.

No sorry but thanks for the suggestion. I may well try it

It might be my imagination or wishful thinking but the distortion seems to be lessening

I'll leave it continuously play for maybe 24 hours (the seperate magnetic charging connection of Sony can come in handy) and report back.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #56 of 185
Don't know whether anyone else has seen these answers to some of the issuesfrom Cyrus;

"Shipping of soundKey is well underway and many backers are now in receipt of their device. Unfortunately we’ve run into some supplier issues which may cause a slight delay with some orders, but we’re aiming to finish shipping the remaining rewards in the coming weeks.

We’ve received a number of queries which we’d like to respond to here so that the answers reach as many of our faithful backers as possible. If you do have any further queries though, please get in touch with our support team directly at hellosoundkey@cyrusaudio.com.

Q. I have a USB C device, or an Apple device. How do I connect my soundKey?

A. In order that we could make soundKey compatible with as many devices as possible, it comes supplied with both a micro-USB and a USB A connector. With these two cables, it will be possible to connect directly to a majority of smartphones, tablets, and computers, but for some devices an extra adaptor will be required.

USB C devices will require a simple adaptor which must be OTG (On The Go) compliant. There are many on the market so we have tested a few to ensure that we can offer a useful recommendation. We have found that both of these cables (Awinner) (Victsing) work well with soundKey.
Apple devices are unique in that adaptors and cables have to be designed specifically to work within the Apple ecosystem. There are various design challenges to overcome to achieve this and the Apple MFi certification programme requires Apple’s approval of various aspects of the hardware too. At this time it isn’t possible to incorporate direct Apple compatibility into soundKey, but by purchasing the Apple Camera Connection Kit, your soundKey can be used with Lightning-equipped Apple devices.
Q. My soundKey is experiencing cracks and pops intermittently when connected to my smartphone, but not my computer. Is it faulty?

A. if it is working well with a computer or other device, then soundKey is not the cause of this issue. We’ve found that some smartphones (and some apps) output a signal that is not compliant with the USB Audio standard, and this causes soundKey to have to re-lock itself to the signal. This will be heard as a click or pop on the audio. soundKey will behave the same as other similar devices in this regard and this issue should be remedied by the smartphone itself. You may find that using a different music app or adjusting your sound settings may remedy the problem.

Q. My soundKey is not working or has come apart. What do I do?

A. Unfortunately a consequence of shipping such a large number of units is that we’ve had reports of a small number of isolated problems with the end caps coming adrift of the main housing. If you encounter any issue with your soundKey, please get in touch with us immediately at hellosoundkey@cyrusaudio.com. We’ll replace any device that is defective in the short term and where possible arrange for the faulty device to be sent back to our factory for inspection and diagnosis. As with any new product, it’s a continuous process of improvement and we’re confident that any isolated problems can be quickly resolved"

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #57 of 185
Here is the result of the kind of DIY Invisble Shield. Might have had a better looking result if I had taken more time to do it ... Sorry for the poor quality of photos.

On the HeadPhone connector side:

On USB connector side:

Top View:

Bottom View:

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #58 of 185
[/quote]

Looks a decent repair but reading the new Q&A article from Cyrus they acknowledge there's been a problem would & have replaced it for you

As for mine it seems very solid. It is also now pretty free from interference after extended use. when used with my Sony phone via a combination of Sony Otg and short USB cables. It works with all apps

It remains unusable with my other (backup phone no problem) and performs faultlessly with my computer confirming what Cyrus say that it is the source not the soundKey that is the cause of interference

My initial frustrations (prematurely shared) have passed and I am really enjoying using this terrific sounding device with all my headphones. Even those bright MF headphones sound good with it now. Incredible clarity but refined.

An absolute bargain!

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #59 of 185
Cyrus blaming the popping sound on the phone (wether android or iPhone) is a complete lie since this sound does not exsist on other DACs played through these same devices. It's more of Cyrus not bothering to make this device compatible with phones. Yes it plugs in but there's oblivious coding and grounding issues when plugged into a phone. I asked Cyrus this question several times while the kickstarter fund was going on, I received no answer from them except that it might not be directly compatible so I decided to cancel my funding. So Cyrus knew this device was going to have limited compatibility and still decided to release it since it would have been too costly and time consuming to make the device more compatible like a dragonfly or many others. If people read the question/answer area in the fund section they would have seen Cyrus's responses. I personally emailed Cyrus as well, since I am a customer previously and I only received the same generic response, it might not be compatible with all mobile devices and most devices will require a separate cable to be attached. Cyrus wouldn't even answer if it was going to be compatible with an iPhone or if there would be connection issues, only answer was that it required a separate cable. The reason I hate these fund me options, no testing on the product and if it sucks the manufacturer already has their money with no recourse since it's not a purchased product but a funded project.

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #60 of 185
pkcpga said:
 t/img/forum/go_quote.gif

It does sound good though
wink_face.gif

I take you did try yours in the end 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back