Cyrus SoundKey portable DAC
Feb 13, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #76 of 185
Might just be me but I think it's to be applauded that they have tried to offer such a great sounding device at such a low price point. In a world where £400 is considered a bargain ( for a Mojo) for a one trick pony like a Dac, it's refreshing that a proper high end traditional British Hifi company should offer great sound to the masses.

EDIT it's very easy to make quality products and sell them at a high price but the real greats are the affordable iconic ones like the original Cyrus One amp for example or the Sennheiser HD414

Yea but as others have said it doesn't work well and honestly there are lots of other competitors in this price range with great SQ now. The mojo isn't at all considered "a bargin" its in the upper range of portable DAC/AMP's.
Especially with the number of $80-250 devices that are out these days.

New technology and ever-better cheaper DAC's has changed the market quite a bit in the recent years.

I mean look at the FiiO E18K with a flagship Burr-Brown DAC for $100! they even have the E17K with up gradable OP-AMP's but the E18k comes with some great ones out of the box.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #78 of 185

Yea but as others have said it doesn't work well and honestly there are lots of other competitors in this price range with great SQ now...

I was looking for a portable DAC I could put in a small pocket while commuting to work that would enable me to enjoy a better sound quality using on Desktop at work with Focal Listen or with Laptop at home. Was not willing to pay much as I do not want to leave the headphone and a higher price DAC in a drawer which got a lock that could easily be broken.

SoundKey fits my needs, they only need to fix the issue with covers popping out. Something that can be easily fixed with a better design of the enclosure.  

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #79 of 185

I was looking for a portable DAC I could put in a small pocket while commuting to work that would enable me to enjoy a better sound quality using on Desktop at work with Focal Listen or with Laptop at home. Was not willing to pay much as I do not want to leave the headphone and a higher price DAC in a drawer which got a lock that could easily be broken.

SoundKey fits my needs, they only need to fix the issue with covers popping out. Something that can be easily fixed with a better design of the enclosure.  

The K1 is smaller than the soundkey portable, but from the looks of the reviews here its actually better.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #80 of 185

The K1 is smaller than the soundkey portable, but from the looks of the reviews here its actually better.

Well it depends what are your metrics for stating which is better. K1 seems to also have issues. I might have made the wrong choice. Not sure though, because the listening experience is rated higher for me. I must admit though that I can't really compare without buying a K1.

Thanks for letting me know. I might give a try, as it is affordable...

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #81 of 185

Well it depends what are your metrics for stating which is better. K1 seems to also have issues. I might have made the wrong choice. Not sure though, because the listening experience is rated higher for me. I must admit though that I can't really compare without buying a K1.

Thanks for letting me know. I might give a try, as it is affordable...

It has a very flat frequency response and a very high end TI chip, can drive lots of headphones and does work w/ iPhone & Android & PC (no drivers) & MAC (no drivers). You need CCK or a Lightning to DAC cable for iOS devices though.

I can tell you that listening to a K1 all day, unless your PC has really dirty USB power it will be very rare to hear a pop or glitch of any kind.
I also didn't experience any when listening from my iPod (although that amount of listening time hasn't been that long as I have been at my computers mostly).

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #82 of 185
Thanks fo adding more information! Your use of it is similar to mine with Soundkey. I am really thinking of ordering a K1... 
L3000.gif

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #83 of 185
Thanks fo adding more information! Your use of it is similar to mine with Soundkey. I am really thinking of ordering a K1... :L3000:

I would be interested in a comparison of the two devices if you do.

My money is on the Cyrus in terms of sound quality as I have had fairly poor experience of Fiio products in the past but you never know.

The K1 does seem amazing value I have to say

EDIT in fact for less than £40 I might get one myself :wink:

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #84 of 185
A rega dac/amp would be pretty cool, nice warm smooth analog sounding portable dac.

The TEAC HA-P50 meets your criteria in terms of sound however it is even a little larger than the Mojo. Very nice with the right (brighter sounding) headphones

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #85 of 185
Just got mine today and so far have experienced none of the quality issues noted. There are definitely some strange noises between tracks, but I think that may be a combination of android (don't forget to turn off notification) the wireless connection and what appears to be a very high gain. I am using with an LG g3 so no problems with connectivity.

Less than 2 hours use so way too early to draw conclusions on ultimate sound quality. Nevertheless so far the sound is very dynamic, open, and detailed using Tidal lossless. Gain is definitely on the high side so be careful with sensitive iems.

The signature is definitely skewed slightly toward the upper midrange, low treble range, but has already begun to mellow from a first listening. Deep bass is present, but has not yet fully fleshed out and so far the emphasis is on the mid to upper bass. A bit of boom persists, but has already begun to disappear. Similarly cymbal crashes still sound a bit harsh, but this is also improving. Even so the brass On Macy Gray's "Lucy" off the Stripped album is a joy to hear, just losing a bit of edge and well recorded piano is portrayed nicely ... always good signs. I doubt this will ever transform into anything resembling warm and cuddly but the open, dynamic signature is addicting! I would not pair with a bright headphone at this point, but time will tell.

Listening has been with Vibro Labs Aria, Noble K10au, Lawton modded th900 and Focal Utopia. Most impressions are based on use with the k10au. I will leave a proper description of the signature to more experienced reviewers reporting on well burned in units, but so far I am very happy with the purchase and suspect I will be even happier after a few weeks.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #87 of 185
Ok I'll do, I made the order late yesterday. Could you do the same in return if you order?

No sorry but I'll stick with soundKey, which I am now very pleased with... for now

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #88 of 185
  Thanks fo adding more information! Your use of it is similar to mine with Soundkey. I am really thinking of ordering a K1... 
L3000.gif

no problem!
If you have amazon in your area you can always order it and return it if you do not like it.
I would be interested in a comparison of the two devices if you do.

My money is on the Cyrus in terms of sound quality as I have had fairly poor experience of Fiio products in the past but you never know.

The K1 does seem amazing value I have to say

EDIT in fact for less than £40 I might get one myself :wink:

Yep its really a great value! Which FiiO products did you have a bad experience with? I only have the K1 but most of what I have read of their stuff is good reviews.

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #89 of 185
[quote name="Jimster480" url="/t/812880/cyrus-soundkey-portable-dac/75#post_13265897

no problem!
If you have amazon in your area you can always order it and return it if you do not like it
[/quote]

Please don't do this. Amazon is not a try before you buy service.

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #90 of 185
[quote name="Jimster480" url="/t/812880/cyrus-soundkey-portable-dac/75#post_13265897

no problem!
If you have amazon in your area you can always order it and return it if you do not like it

Please don't do this. Amazon is not a try before you buy service.[/quote]

I mean you are right about that but I never at any point in time feel bad for costing amazon money. After all its the service they offer and considering how many jobs they have cost everyone else, its entire reason for existing is to blow billions of dollars a year to kill all competitors so they can rake in the big bucks. If it was any other store I would feel bad.

Either way this isn't something I typically do as returning things is too much of a hassle for me usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back