Cyrus SoundKey portable DAC
Feb 13, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #61 of 185
Looks a decent repair but reading the new Q&A article from Cyrus they acknowledge there's been a problem would & have replaced it for you

The replacement one is on the way. Untill I receive it I won't have to worry. I hope they really fixed the issue. I am thinking of asking a woodworker friend to make me a stand made with exotic wood. I need to make a prototype or to make a plan with Sketchup before asking him. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #62 of 185
Cyrus blaming the popping sound on the phone (wether android or iPhone) is a complete lie since this sound does not exsist on other DACs played through these same devices. It's more of Cyrus not bothering to make this device compatible with phones. Yes it plugs in but there's oblivious coding and grounding issues when plugged into a phone. I asked Cyrus this question several times while the kickstarter fund was going on, I received no answer from them except that it might not be directly compatible so I decided to cancel my funding. So Cyrus knew this device was going to have limited compatibility and still decided to release it since it would have been too costly and time consuming to make the device more compatible like a dragonfly or many others. If people read the question/answer area in the fund section they would have seen Cyrus's responses. I personally emailed Cyrus as well, since I am a customer previously and I only received the same generic response, it might not be compatible with all mobile devices and most devices will require a separate cable to be attached. Cyrus wouldn't even answer if it was going to be compatible with an iPhone or if there would be connection issues, only answer was that it required a separate cable. The reason I hate these fund me options, no testing on the product and if it sucks the manufacturer already has their money with no recourse since it's not a purchased product but a funded project.

I have found that using it on Apple Music on my iPhone that most tracks are crystal clear, while others have this annoying clicking / popping. It is very strange, I can't understand why it is not consistent. Used on the laptop, it seems fine all the time, again using Apple Music which I presume is the same encoding / file. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #63 of 185
Cyrus blaming the popping sound on the phone (wether android or iPhone) is a complete lie since this sound does not exsist on other DACs played through these same devices...
Cyrus wouldn't even answer if it was going to be compatible with an iPhone or if there would be connection issues, only answer was that it required a separate cable. The reason I hate these fund me options, no testing on the product and if it sucks the manufacturer already has their money with no recourse since it's not a purchased product but a funded project.

That someone accusing Cyrus of lying it is funny to read border-line things in your post.

This is my second Kickstarter. In the first one I have been beta testing. We received the retail version almost 8 months later than what was expected. I think beta testing for more than a couple of months is the way to go, though you have to deal with folks upset because the retail version is shipped later.

By the way did you listen to what SoundKey can deliver with a computer?

Enjoy your DragonFly. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #64 of 185
That someone accusing Cyrus of lying it is funny to read border-line things in your post.

This is my second Kickstarter. In the first one I have been beta testing. We received the retail version almost 8 months later than what was expected. I think beta testing for more than a couple of months is the way to go, though you have to deal with folks upset because the retail version is shipped later.

When a manufacturer responds like a used car sales man or politician it's clear they know the issues but refuse to clearly state them. Just because they decide to be vague doesn't mean they have no idea if it will or won't work properly just that they refuse to answer the question. Chord and merridian are also great English companies that are very upfront and answer questions without hesitation or vagueness. This are qualities that I appreciate and will continue to support in future purchases, which I purchase a fair share since it's a fun hobby and I have a few extra dollars to spend.

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #65 of 185
When a manufacturer responds like a used car sales man or politician it's clear they know the issues but refuse to clearly state them...
This are qualities that I appreciate and will continue to support in future purchases, which I purchase a fair share since it's a fun hobby and I have a few extra dollars to spend.

Fine. Then I think we can agree that you should not support Cyrus then. I would appreciate if you were replying to the question. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #66 of 185
Even the mighty Mojo has problems. Mine used to drive me mad whilst charging but of course is was the fault of the charger despite those chargers sounding silent with everything else and the sound coming from the device! Same difference

You've had a few problems your self with Dragonfly I believe. Most of these things have some issues. They provide very modest to pretty good increases in sound quality but are not without compromise.

For your information Cyrus is also a great British company easily on a par and certainly not a fly by night!

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #67 of 185
Fine. Then I think we can agree that you should not support Cyrus then. I would appreciate if you were replying to the question. :wink_face:

Sorry, yes I strongly agree beta testing is the way to go, if the manufacturer is transparent and states we are currently testing the product and ironing out all kinks most customers would be understanding and happy they are taking the extra step to make sure the product meets expectations. Too many products only get produced for retail and never first in a small batch for testing. Great point.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #68 of 185
Even the mighty Mojo has problems. Mine used to drive me mad whilst charging but of course is was the fault of the charger despite those chargers sounding silent with everything else and the sound coming from the device! Same difference

You've had a few problems your self with Dragonfly I believe. Most of these things have some issues. They provide very modest to pretty good increases in sound quality but are not without compromise.

For your information Cyrus is also a great British company easily on a par and certainly not a fly by night!

I wish I could find a smaller version of the mojo, that's my only mild annoyance with it. Also the reason I'm willing to try every small dac/amp produced. Yes most have issues, the Cyrus one was particularly bad, much worse than the DF. Audioquest has a bunch of production issues, with sound issues for the DF audioquest is promising a downloadable update to fix all issues very soon and add MQA compatibility. If that happens I will buy another one and try it again. Cyrus's lack of willingness to respond and just state compatibility is not guaranteed I find insulting and shocking for a what I used to think was a well respected audio company.

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #69 of 185
I wish I could find a smaller version of the mojo, that's my only mild annoyance with it. Also the reason I'm willing to try every small dac/amp produced. Yes most have issues, the Cyrus one was particularly bad, much worse than the DF. Audioquest has a bunch of production issues, with sound issues for the DF audioquest is promising a downloadable update to fix all issues very soon and add MQA compatibility. If that happens I will buy another one and try it again. Cyrus's lack of willingness to respond and just state compatibility is not guaranteed I find insulting and shocking for a what I used to think was a well respected audio company.

I am not trying to defend Cyrus too much here, but I think the problem is that they tried to compete on price with more mass produced brands. Cyrus could have produced an amazing quality DAC here but it would have cost £300. They wanted to compete in the sub £100 market. This is not really where Cyrus should be. Their products are meant to be premium. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #70 of 185
Cyrus blaming the popping sound on the phone (wether android or iPhone) is a complete lie since this sound does not exsist on other DACs played through these same devices. It's more of Cyrus not bothering to make this device compatible with phones. Yes it plugs in but there's oblivious coding and grounding issues when plugged into a phone. I asked Cyrus this question several times while the kickstarter fund was going on, I received no answer from them except that it might not be directly compatible so I decided to cancel my funding. So Cyrus knew this device was going to have limited compatibility and still decided to release it since it would have been too costly and time consuming to make the device more compatible like a dragonfly or many others. If people read the question/answer area in the fund section they would have seen Cyrus's responses. I personally emailed Cyrus as well, since I am a customer previously and I only received the same generic response, it might not be compatible with all mobile devices and most devices will require a separate cable to be attached. Cyrus wouldn't even answer if it was going to be compatible with an iPhone or if there would be connection issues, only answer was that it required a separate cable. The reason I hate these fund me options, no testing on the product and if it sucks the manufacturer already has their money with no recourse since it's not a purchased product but a funded project.

yes I have to say so far with kickstarter projects most of them have been horrible scams.
I've pulled out of funding on multiple ones before.
Plastc is another one that has been useless, even the Arduboy which did eventually come out really didn't live up to the hype as many people never finished their game projects for it.
Even if the MFG really did deliver an awesome little device after some delays.

I also funded Kraftwerk and that still hasn't come to fruition after 2.5 years despite a promised 6-mo launch date.
Now I have funded a Titanium set of chopsticks, it did come after 2.5 months delay and it is actually good (one thing that was worth it) and my wife loves it (I got it for her anyway).

I also have a Superbook on funding, and we will see what happens with that.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #71 of 185

I am not trying to defend Cyrus too much here, but I think the problem is that they tried to compete on price with more mass produced brands. Cyrus could have produced an amazing quality DAC here but it would have cost £300. They wanted to compete in the sub £100 market. This is not really where Cyrus should be. Their products are meant to be premium. 

I don't think that is actually acceptable, with DAC's and AMP's the way they are today mostly everything is pre-packaged. When the chinese companies can make actual good DAC/AMP's with respectable quality for $40-60 that have phone compatibility (and they are often using American made TI DAC's, sometimes even Burr-Brown or ESS) there is literally no reason why this company couldn't do it too.
Hell even Schiit has a $100 DAC/AMP that works great with real analog volume POT and some supposedly great DAC's.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #72 of 185

I partially agree, since Cyrus shouldn't have cheapened their name with a junky partially working device but there are many other brands that have made cheap so so portable dac/amps that at least function the way they should with portable devices. As I said before I expected a much better, tested product from Cyrus not what they churned out and yes if they produced a true Cyrus product I would have been happy to pay much more. But now for me they have tarnished and cheapened their name with this partially working, cheaply made device.

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #73 of 185
Might just be me but I think it's to be applauded that they have tried to offer such a great sounding device at such a low price point. In a world where £400 is considered a bargain ( for a Mojo) for a one trick pony like a Dac, it's refreshing that a proper high end traditional British Hifi company should offer great sound to the masses.

EDIT it's very easy to make quality products and sell them at a high price but the real greats are the affordable iconic ones like the original Cyrus One amp for example or the Sennheiser HD414

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #74 of 185
Might just be me but I think it's to be applauded that they have tried to offer such a great sounding device at such a low price point. In a world where £400 is considered a bargain ( for a Mojo) for a one trick pony like a Dac, it's refreshing that a proper high end traditional British Hifi company should offer great sound to the masses.

Only if it worked for the masses, not compatible with too many devices and clicking, popping sounds don't make it a high end bargain but more of a way to make a quick buck by selling their name on cheap junk.

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #75 of 185
Just need Quad, Creek, Musical Fidelity, Myryad and Rega etc to join the party!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back