Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC: A New Portable 24/192 USB/iDevice/Android DAC & Amp
Sep 2, 2013 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 186
 ​
NOTE:  If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

In this Head-Fi TV News Flash, we have the first look at the latest product from Cypher Labs: the Theorem 720 DAC, a 24-bit/192khz USB/iDevice/Android DAC & Amp.

For more information on Android devices and playback of high resolution files, click here to read more information about it on Cypher Labs' blog.

For more information on playback of high resolution files in iOS, click here to read more information about it on Cypher Labs' blog.

Products mentioned in the video:

1. Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC USB/iDevice/Android DAC & Amp
  2. Wadia iTransport iDevice DAC
  3. Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo portable USB DAC
  4. Fostex HP-P1 portable iDevice/USB DAC & Amp
  5. V-MODA VAMP iPhone 4/4S DAC & Amp
  6. V-MODA VAMP VERZA portable iDevice/Android/USB DAC & Amp
  7. SONY PHA-1 portable USB DAC & Amp
  8. CEntrance HiFi-M8 iDevice/USB DAC & Amp
  9. CEntrance HiFi-M8 LX Optical/USB DAC & Amp

Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC - Head-Fi TV News Flash produced by Joseph Cwik and Jude Mansilla

We will occasionally post Q&A episodes of Head-Fi TV.  If you want to submit any questions (or comments), you can do so via email to tv@head-fi.org.

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 186
I want!

My CLAS-R for home use, the Theorem for road use!

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 186
I lost my interest after the video. Made for on/over ear headphones. Hiss with iems. Still not powerful enough like M8. I will pass, M8 is a winner for me. They have nice touches indeed but no good for me.

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 186
It looks quite good.

I wonder whether that warmth is the DAC or a high output impedance though.

Battery life and a small charger, plus all the different cables supplied are great points.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #10 of 186
Quote:
Where is coax? :D

There is no digital output on the Theorem 720 DAC. I think Cypher Labs has a lot of faith in its performance as a DAC, and thus made the choice (to save space and perhaps battery life) to forgo a digital output.

Quote:
Some Head-Fiers will still want to external amp that
tongue_smile.gif

Was that balanced output just for headphones or was it was balanced connector to amplifier as well?

The dedicated line out is rated at 2.1vrms, and is single-ended. I believe the balanced output is intended only for headphones.

If I find out different, I'll let you know.

Quote:
It looks quite good.

I wonder whether that warmth is the DAC or a high output impedance though.

Battery life and a small charger, plus all the different cables supplied are great points.

The headphone output's output impedance is actually below 1 ohm. The issue I have with sensitive in-ears and the Theorem 720 DAC is its noise floor.

Regarding the battery life and small charger: yes, huge positive points for it.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #11 of 186
Although, Jude, I feel they should take a leaf out of Centrance's book in offering their M8 and M8LX. I'm an Apple user and feel that part of the high USD899 price goes towards the Android part that I will never use.

I have the Solo-R and I wish they had improved on that by having a built-in amp with longer than even the current 14 hours. Call it a Duo-R! I'd pay USD699 for that.

So I use my Solo-R at home with a myriad of amps but for on the road, I use my newly-acquired ADL X1.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #12 of 186
The Theorem's announced! Excellent! I have to agree with David's decision to ditch the coax out. I never used it with with the CLAS.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 186
Quote:
...So I use my Solo-R at home with a myriad of amps but for on the road, I use my newly-acquired ADL X1.

After we shot this video, I realized I neglected to mention the very cool Alpha Design Labs X1 when mentioning USB/iDevice DAC/amp combos. There are so many things I like about the ADL X1, and its design (with the sample rate indicators, for example) is superb. However, like the Theorem 720 DAC, I find the X1's headphone output's noise floor too high for sensitive in-ears, and the X1 doesn't seem to me to have anywhere near the output power of the Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC. (The X1, however, is priced at just over half the Theorem 720 DAC.)

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #14 of 186
Hi, David here from Cypher Labs. The Theorem 720 DAC is our newest product, which took over two years of development. Production quantities will begin shipping late next week through the second week of September. Please be patient with our dealers as we work to get product into your hands.

I know you all will be asking about specs, so I thought I would just post them here so you can find them in one place. These are on our website too of course http://cypherlabs.com/

Cypher Labs Announces Theorem 720 DAC®  reference grade balanced headphone amplifier. Stream bit-perfect digital audio from Apple, Android and Computers

Features/Specifications:

1. AKM 24/192 DAC (AKM4396)
  2. 500mhz processor, dual core
  3. USB audio 2.0
  4. Works with Apple devices, Mac/PC, some Android devices - automatic device detection
  5. Charge time under 4 hours (purple when charged)
  6. Play time up to 18 hours, when beginning with fully charged iPod/iPhone (does not charge Android)
  7. Charges iPod/iPhone while playing
  8. Can play continuously when attached to the power supply
  9. Single ended and balanced headphone amplifier (volume controlled)
  10. Single ended line level output (not volume controlled)
  11. Three gain levels (IEM's, standard phones, planar phones)
  1. Works with all Apple devices from 2007 onward
  2. Color: black only
  3. Enclosure markings100% laser etched, no silkscreen
  4. Compact size matches many Apple devices
  1. Please use the newest PC driver version 1.61. Uninstall version 1.60, then re-install new driver from Cypher Labs website product page
  2. Technical Specs:
    3.5mm (1/8”) analog stereo out to amplifier (line level 2.1vrms; 100ohm impendance)
    3.5mm (1/8”) analog stereo out to headphones (<1ohm impedance)
    Mini-4 pin balanced stereo out to balanced headphones (<1ohm impedance)
    Sample Depth 16 bit from Apple Devices; up to 24 bit from computers
    Frequencies supported on Apple Devices: 44.1 / 48.0 @ 16 bit
    Frequencies supported on computers:
    44.1 / 48.0 / 96.0 / 88.1 / 176.4 / 192.0 @ 16 and 24 bit
    Li-polymer battery 8700mAh - AC switching is totally isolated
    Dimensions 120mm (136 incl volume knob) x 29mm x 64mm
    Weight: 10 oz or .3 kg

The headphone outs have as close to 0 ohm impedance as possible (less than 1ohm). The headphone output levels themselves depend upon the gain settings.  With the volume pot set to 100%:
High Gain
Single Ended output = 11.3 dB
Balanced Output = 5.5 dB
Mid Gain
Single Ended Output = 3.5 dB
Balanced Output = -2.3 dB
Low Gain
Single Ended Output = -9 dB
Balanced Output = -14.8 dB

1. See manual for more info and photos of how to assemble your rig (link on the right side of the product page

Thanks for all your support!

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 186
After we shot this video, I realized I neglected to mention the very cool Alpha Design Labs X1 when mentioning USB/iDevice DAC/amp combos. There are so many things I like about the ADL X1, and its design (with the sample rate indicators, for example) is superb. However, like the Theorem 720 DAC, I find the X1's headphone output's noise floor too high for sensitive in-ears, and the X1 doesn't seem to me to have anywhere near the output power of the Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC. (The X1, however, is priced at just over half the Theorem 720 DAC.)

I love my ADL X1 when I'm outside the house and the noise floor doesn't bother me because firstly I don't use IEMs and restrict myself to either a Sennheiser PX200 or Sony DRZX701iP where the ADL has sufficient power.

Here's another cool thing about the ADL X1. In fact I believe it is the only iDevice DAC/amp that can do this. If you are using a iPhone as your source and you use the supplied 4-ring 3.5mm cable because you know you are expecting a lot of phone calls, say in the next hour, you can make and receive calls if your headphone has a mic. You will of course then be not using the built-in DAC but as I said, sometimes you know the calls are just coming in but you still want good music.

Oh and if you hold an X1 in your hands the first time, you'd swear it was a dummy set. It is unbelievably light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back