Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC: A New Portable 24/192 USB/iDevice/Android DAC & Amp
Sep 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #31 of 186
Anybody considering ditching their CLAS-db/amp stack for this "all in one"?

Or am I the only one...

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #36 of 186
I bet the hiss can be fixed by adding a volume control adapter to your IEM. Shure makes a EAADPT Kit Earphones Adapter Kit which includes a Plane Adapter, Volume Control Adapter and a 1/4''(6.5mm) Adapter. As for me I mostly use headphones so am saving up my money for this DAC Amp.

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #37 of 186
Hi everybody. I'm a beta tester for David and Cypher Labs and I've had the Theorem for about 2 months. I have been using 2 rigs for comparative purposes, the Cypher Labs-db paired with the ALO MKIIIB ( prefer it to my SR71B enhanced version) with Ipod Classic and the Theorem also paired with Ipod Classic. All files are ALAC. My headphones are Ultrasone Sig PRO's, Ultrasone Sig DJ's, and JH-16 feqphases, all cabled balanced. I must say apples to oranges I hear very little if no difference between the 2 rigs. They both sound sublime and even when I try to listen extra critically I just get swept away by the conveyance of the sound and immersed in the music:) Isn't that what we're all ultimately after anyway lol?

Also I don't have a hiss issue at all with my IEM's. I listen with both rigs on "medium" level and the only hiss I hear is analogue tape hiss when it's supposed to be there. In between tracks is completely black and I must say I crank those puppies up!

If you want a 2 brick rig I cannot recommend the Theorem more highly. I told David I prefer the 3 brick because I think it attracts more women. Bigger is better!:)

Happy hunting.

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #38 of 186
  Even Jude said it hisses with sensitive iems, what part of it is not clear?

I appreciate this is Jude's site and I have met him and everything, nice guy, but that's just it. One person's limited and unqualified findings. No details of what IEM combinations were tested and even without raelamb'd post I knew contradictory reports were going to come out (without expanding on how, what or who
smile.gif
).

And it was a news video only with the shortest segment spent on sound. I wish people would stop treating it as the end of the discussion.

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #39 of 186
I think people need to calm down and wait for more impressions and actual reviews. Walk before you run

I am. I am very calmly keeping my money in my pocket. 
If Jude made a point of mentioning the hiss with IEMs, I am willing to bet that it was worth mentioning.
Until I hear from a number of early adopters reporting back either no hiss or news of a fix, I for one am not in a rush to throw $900 at it.
That's calm.

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #40 of 186
I was a beta tester for the Theorem 720, and I'd like to say that you hit the nail on the head with your comments about the battery life.  Prior to using the Theorem, I had been commuting (a half hour in each direction) with a first generation AlgoRhythm Solo (which did not charge i-devices), a headphone amp, and my iPod Classic.  The combination sounded terrific, but I was constantly hauling around 3 chargers / cables,  and monitoring what needed charging, and when.

The Theorem 720 has provided a huge improvement in day-to-day usability.  My iPod is simply always fully charged, and I find myself realizing that I'm not sure when I charged the Theorem last, so I just pull the red cord out approximately every couple of weeks, whenever I think of it, and top it off while I'm at work.  I can't overstate how nice the combination of sound quality (with over the ear headphones to keep out bus noise) and single-charger convenience has turned out to be.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #41 of 186
I have cosmic ears HY2 and they unfortunately hiss too with the internal amp. With my full size headphones the 720 is really good. The Dac part as usual is really good, the amp part is rather neutral. Good, but a bit neutral for me, I'd prefer some thicker mids and more bass

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #43 of 186
Anybody considering ditching their CLAS-db/amp stack for this "all in one"?

Or am I the only one...

Think it depends how important it is for you to shed a layer from the stack. If you commute daily or need a second location rig it may make sense.

Others will have amp collections and if you have a travel bag what difference will it make.

I guess those who are starting with a clean slate will be tempted to go with the Theorem as overall it is cheaper so long as you can avoid the temptation to explore external amps. The Clas Solo versus Theorem are pitched at different needs.

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #44 of 186
I had to make a decision between the Cypher Labs Theorem and the Centrance HiFi-M8.  Given how much I love the CLAS -db with my iPhone, I thought this would be a piece of cake.  I'm not price-sensitive, so I ignored the cost.

Pros for Theorem:
- Battery Life and quick charging
- Smaller overall size and charger
- Given Cypher Labs history, battery would probably be user-replaceable

Cons:
- Higher noise floor with sensitive IEMs - potentially just an issue with Jude's unit which would be really bad luck for CL
- Not enough power for the "Big Dog" headphones

Since I'm buying a DAC/Amp and not a iDevice battery pack, this was much easier than expected.  Now I just have to choose between 8 variations of the M8...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back