Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #1,036 of 1,788
Just got my unit today. I still haven't had enough time to listen to it but from the first hour or so, I can definitely say that I am impressed. 

Even more, I can confidently say that my first impressions are more favorable than iBasso DX100. To me, that was the best sounding DAP but this setup does not make me miss it AT ALL. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #1,037 of 1,788
Just got my unit today. I still haven't had enough time to listen to it but from the first hour or so, I can definitely say that I am impressed. 

Even more, I can confidently say that my first impressions are more favorable than iBasso DX100. To me, that was the best sounding DAP but this setup does not make me miss it AT ALL. 

Do you have a galaxy s3 or note 2? If you do, could you see if it works with them? Very interested in this DAC only if it works with them.

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,038 of 1,788
Quote:
Do you have a galaxy s3 or note 2? If you do, could you see if it works with them? Very interested in this DAC only if it works with them.

I have a Galaxy SIII. But I don't have my interconnector with me to test it. I'll report back sometime before midnight CT. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #1,040 of 1,788
Quote:

Nice, thanks for posting pics.  How does the sound compare to what you remember from the original Solo?  It will be interesting to see how, if at all, the -dB has changed sonically with the new DAC.  The main reason I'm upgrading to the -dB is for the new features (lower gain, longer battery life, balanced in, charges iDevices), and I didn't think the Solo gave much to complain about sonically.  

The only criticism of the Solo I could possibly understand is that it tends toward the bright side of neutral, so when paired with another neutral-to-bright amp (like the Pico Slim), the sound could be a bit harsh.  But when paired with warm amps like the TTVJ Slim and SR71b, the synergy seemed much better.  The Solo also sounded great from my Audioengine A2 speakers, whose forward and boomy bass is well-controlled and balanced out by the Solo.

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #1,041 of 1,788
Nice, thanks for posting pics.  How does the sound compare to what you remember from the original Solo?  It will be interesting to see how, if at all, the -dB has changed sonically with the new DAC.  The main reason I'm upgrading to the -dB is for the new features (lower gain, longer battery life, balanced in, charges iDevices), and I didn't think the Solo gave much to complain about sonically.  

The only criticism of the Solo I could possibly understand is that it tends toward the bright side of neutral, so when paired with another neutral-to-bright amp (like the Pico Slim), the sound could be a bit harsh.  But when paired with warm amps like the TTVJ Slim and SR71b, the synergy seemed much better.  The Solo also sounded great from my Audioengine A2 speakers, whose forward and boomy bass is well-controlled and balanced out by the Solo.

Completely agree with you on the synergy between the solo and SR71-B, a match made in heaven!

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #1,042 of 1,788
Quote:
Thank you so much, because if it works with the gs3 I might have to start saving up some serious dough
biggrin.gif

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I just tested my Galaxy SIII and no sound :frowning2: I too wish that it did work with it but it doesn't. 

That being said, I think you should still start saving some money for this thing because it's seriously a game changer. 

I am now using it with my desktop system: Macbook Air - USB - CLAS - Coaxial Out - Schiit Bifrost Coax in - Stax SRM-313 - Stax SR-404LE. And I can confidently say that it is much more resolving and clearer than USB out of my laptop into my desktop DAC. They surely packed this thing with great stuff. This is what I was suggesting in the Centrance M8 thread. Now that I've heard the new CLAS I honestly have no interest in the M8. 

It's getting late here so I am going to hit the sack but I'll post more pictures and impressions tomorrow hopefully. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #1,044 of 1,788
Joining Yuceka in the dB (note, the headphones aren't mine, nor are the silver setup) :-

[serial number removed]

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #1,046 of 1,788
Those are the closed-back Audezes?  Do you have a loaner pair, or was that taken at RMAF?

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #1,047 of 1,788
Quote:
Those are the closed-back Audezes?  Do you have a loaner pair, or was that taken at RMAF?

Not a loaner. Some of the guys from RMAF are in Tokyo for the Fujiya Avic Autumn Festival this weekend and brought it over.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #1,048 of 1,788
Quote:
Joining Yuceka in the dB (note, the headphones aren't mine, nor are the silver setup) :-

[serial number removed]

Very nice AnakChan 

I bought the -dB and its sitting here in the Fedex depot over the weekend. Should get it Monday

How does the combo sound and how do the closed in LCD3s sound? Have you hooked your DX100 up to it or only iPod?

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #1,049 of 1,788
I am not clear on the difference between the original CLAS and the new -db. Can anyone explain it to me?

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #1,050 of 1,788
- New AKM DAC instead of Wolfson
- Mini USB Audio input from PC and iDevice (it auto-detects and therefore auto-switches to USB Audio DAC or iDevice with iAP authentication - no manual toggle switch required) 
- Balanced Out in addition to Single Ended out
- Charges iPhone and can last up to 14 hrs. Talking to Mr. Cypherlabs himself whilst he's in Tokyo, even if charging an almost empty iPhone, the device still can function for a a couple of hours (can't remember if it's 3-4 or 4-5 hrs).
- Charger now 9V in, therefore the same as the Rx Mk3 (woohoo!! Don't need separate CLAS/Rx Mk3 charger!)

2 hrs and 15 mins ago, my iPhone 4S was on 1%. It's now 100% charged. But I've not played any music to see how long it'll further last - been a long day and will save that test some other day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back