Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #856 of 1,788
Listened to this properly with a newly bought ipod touch 64gb and my FWJ mit Magnum v4, only powering through a JDSLabs cmoy at the moment and it sounds pretty amazing, the CLAS gives depth, soundstage and the right tones.

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #857 of 1,788
I find that the CLAS takes away some low end extension it's sound signature is rather sharp when paired with certain phones. Having said that, it's overall benefits do outweigh the mentioned shortcomings. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #858 of 1,788
I received the new (second) battery today, and installed it.

Before I started, I charged each battery individually on the board, then after they were both hooked up,
I plugged the charger back in to verify that the charging circuit still worked. It took a while to get the pulsing
light, but it seems to work fine.

Here are some pix:

The two parallel battery sockets.

The stock battery is held on by some gooey double sided tape. It must be removed to provide
the room for the second battery, so I used a thin-bladed knife to cut it in half. It's very sticky,
so don't try to simply pry it off, or you could end up with a two-piece PCB.
frown.gif

I used my thumbnails to remove the tape from the battery, then reinstalled it.

I used some double-sided Scotch tape between the two batteries.

The board is ready to be reinstalled.

As you can see, there's barely enough room for the two together.

Back home.

The Mouser label with part number.

Feb 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #859 of 1,788
Great work! Would be great if the battery life really did double. About the charging, only the 1st time you charged them individually? I hope thereafter you can charge both through the normal charging process?

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #865 of 1,788
Great work! Top marks for bravery Funch!

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #866 of 1,788
Count me in for this mod too. Do we know when Alo started installing two batteries? How much did it assuming it doesn't explode. :)

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #867 of 1,788
ALO should just come out with a replacement battery that is larger than the stock that will fit into the space for the customers that is willing to pay to replace the stock battery.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #870 of 1,788

Well done Funch!

I'm just guessing here, but given that the CLAS has been charging a single 3.7V Li-Ion battery without difficulty, with the exception of potential heat problems, the two, parallel-circuit batteries will most likely still be seen by the charger as a  3.7-Volt battery (having twice the mAh capacity.)  The nominal voltage for each cell is 3.7V, but the charger will now take twice as long to bring the two of them to their fully charged 4.2 Volts (from any given state of discharge).  

My concern is heat - having the two batteries in such close proximity during charging, in such a confined space. Going by the pictures, it doesn't look as if there's any thermal sensor (thermistor) to smartly stop the charger should things get too hot. It will probably just keep charging until each cell reaches 4.2 Volts.  The problem is that we (or I, at least) don't know the charge rate.  If it's slow, then I wouldn't worry about heat buildup in a two-cell pack within a confined space, but if the charge rate is fast, heat could be a problem.

A simple test would be to keep touching the case of the CLAS every couple of minutes, especially toward the last half of giving it a full charge.  If the case doesn't get noticeably hotter than you've ever felt it before, the charge rate is probably slow enough that you'll not need to worry about the infamous lithium battery explosion.  (They don't really explode, anyway - they just burn slow and hot - and with great toxicity - don't breathe the smoke or touch the soot.) 

biggrin.gif

CypherLabs seems to have designed the Solo to accept two of these batteries, so perhaps my concerns are unwarranted.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back