Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #872 of 1,788
Last night I played the CLAS for a bit, then this morning I removed the board from the case and plugged in the charger.
It did take longer than normal to charge, and I kept feeling the batt's as well as the regulator chip on the bottom of the
board, but nothing ever got even warm. I guess the real test will be when the 'pack' is nearly discharged. I'll have the
board out for that one as well.

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #873 of 1,788

Quote:
Last night I played the CLAS for a bit, then this morning I removed the board from the case and plugged in the charger.
It did take longer than normal to charge, and I kept feeling the batt's as well as the regulator chip on the bottom of the
board, but nothing ever got even warm. I guess the real test will be when the 'pack' is nearly discharged. I'll have the
board out for that one as well.

Again, nice job, funch.  You think like a good scientist!  Test and observe.  Make no assumptions.  Sweet!

Mike

Feb 8, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #874 of 1,788

By the way, a voltmeter should show about 4.2V on each cell when the CLAS indicates they are fully charged, but let them rest for about 10 minutes after charging - to measure the voltage after they've settled - it will drop a little bit.  If you measure a voltage higher than about 4.3V (just 2.5% greater than 4.2V) the charger isn't shutting off when it should - which could lead to the aforementioned torching of your CLAS.

Also, when Li-Ion cells are stacked in parallel, it's important that they remain balanced - having the same voltage at all times throughout the charge/discharge cycle. So you might want to measure their voltages prior to charging, too - again, after they've had a chance to rest for about 10 minutes following use - just to see if the load applied by the CLAS during use is even on both cells.  Neither cell should ever fall below 3.0V.  The CLAS should prevent this from happening, but you might want to test it by using the CLAS until it shuts off, wait about 10 minutes, then measure the voltages on each cell.

Lastly, the fact that one of your cells is older than the other, could pose a problem downstream, if not already.  The internal resistance of a Li-Ion cell increases over time, with each charge cycle, so your older cell will resist incoming current during charging more so than the new cell, which makes me wonder if the CLAS charger is smart enough to charge the two cells separately - giving the older cell more time to reach 4.2V.  Voltage measurements before and after a full charge cycle will tell you whether everything is balanced or not.  If the charger is "stupid," it might overcharge the newer cell while trying to get the older cell up to 4.2V (or, less dangerous, it might stop charging the older cell as soon as the newer cell reaches 4.2V.)

Ultimately, as long as neither cell ever sees voltages outside the range of 3.0V to 4.3V, everything should be OK.

Mike

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #875 of 1,788
If ALO really design the Solo with two batteries in mind, then they should implement the design in stead of having/tempting customers doing it on their own. I can really see some freak accident happen one of these days with poor quality battery. I wonder if the above will void the warranty?

On the other hand, If ALO does not have the intention to implement the design either with two batteries or with a larger battery, then I really wished that ALO would have made the Solo smaller or thinner at least matching that of the MK Rx II in size. The Solo as it is, really could slim down a little bit as it is a device meant to be used with at least two other pieces if not three in my case. To carry that extra space does frequently limit the desire to use that device.

Or ALO/CLAS should combine the MK Rx II or III into the Solo using the extra space and making it a two piece world class system just like the Fostex.

Or ALO/CLAS can come up with a balance Solo for their MK Rx III and take the chance to make it smaller or with bigger battery.

Or add a USB receiver to add the ability of the Solo to act as an independent USB DAC for computer use.

Or tweet the firmware to find a way that it will play hires music.

One way or another, the Solo concept was great two years ago but it needs continuing evolution and creativity to maintain its competitness in the market place. Anyone of the above ideas is a big welcome, I am sure, to many of the Solo loyal customers. I talked with the President of CLAS at RMAF and was under the impression that there will be something in the making and I am still waiting.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #877 of 1,788
I would like to see a digital out SP/DIF built into a line out doc so we could go directly into a balanced dac type device or a combination balanced dac/amp of my choosing.

Feb 8, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #879 of 1,788
I think what he wants is a lod size like device that does nothing other than provide a digital signal to go into a dac of ones own choosing rather than waisting (but still paying for) the dac in the solo

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #880 of 1,788

Quote:
I think what he wants is a lod size like device that does nothing other than provide a digital signal to go into a dac of ones own choosing rather than waisting (but still paying for) the dac in the solo

i appreciate the help in wording exactly what I was attempting to say. In my case with the HP-P1 it is an amp and dac if I choose not to use them.

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #881 of 1,788
Yes I would also like such a device

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #882 of 1,788
Responses in order:

Don't want to be president. Too much like work.

The scientist analogy is good, as I was a science teacher for many years.

Both of my cells measure 4.17V.

I don't need any stinking warranty.
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #883 of 1,788
Thanks nc8000 and slwiser. Reading again, that was clear enough.

The issue would be battery life, I believe. USB communication already kills the iPod`s battery. If it had to simultaneously power the iAP device too... actually I am not sure that is even possible. Can an iPod host power?

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #884 of 1,788

Quote:
Thanks nc8000 and slwiser. Reading again, that was clear enough.

The issue would be battery life, I believe. USB communication already kills the iPod`s battery. If it had to simultaneously power the iAP device too... actually I am not sure that is even possible. Can an iPod host power?

I don't know about the battery drain on the iPod from the special line out but one nice feature of the HP-P1 is the battery notice on the iPod essentially tells me the total level of power in my combo since the iPod is trickle charged by the HP-P1 and as both goes down the iPod tells me the combo power level.

The reason I suggested this ideal in the first place was that someone above ask for ideals!

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #885 of 1,788

Quote:
Responses in order:

Don't want to be president. Too much like work.

The scientist analogy is good, as I was a science teacher for many years.

Both of my cells measure 4.17V.

I don't need any stinking warranty.
tongue.gif

Sweet!  If the two cells both match after charging (at 4.17V) and are also that close to the maximum of 4.2V, the charging circuit in the CLAS is doing a great job - especially considering that one cell is older than the other.  I don't think you'll have any overheating problems.

I hearby give this mod my personal seal of approval (which is absolutely worthless)!

tongue_smile.gif

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back