Cypher Labs Algorhythm Duet
Jun 8, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #211 of 353
Is anyone gonna volunteer to make a AlgoRhythm Picollo thread or is it too early? I'm honestly quite excited to how'd they sound compared to the Duet for sensitive headphones and IEMs

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #213 of 353
HD 25 Aluminium best set Up

Source : AK 100 Gold Japan Edition
Amp : Cypher Labs Duet silver
Headphone : Sennheiser HD 25 Aluminium Edition
Cable : Crystal Cable Dream Line : mini to mini and adapter mini Female to mini plug

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #215 of 353
  Regardless of the background hiss, so far I slightly prefer the Rx MkIII-B+ in terms of overall sound-quality than the Duet, especially (even) when using the AKG K3003is (~8ohm) or even the IE800 (~18ohm.)

The hiss on the K3003is is definitely quite noticeable on the Rx MkIII-B+, but it is hardly bothersome after getting used to the amp's overall sound-signature with TOTL low-impedance/high-sensitivity IEMs... IMO, the Rx MkIII-B+ tends to add a clearer and more spacious/extended/"defined"/articulate detail retrieval w/ a more "3D out of head" soundstage/imaging perception when compared to the Duet, completely covering up the ALO's background hiss w/ most low-impedance IEMs (although in my experience, cheaper IEMs like the IE80 have an unbearable hiss with the Rk MkIII-B+, probably due to the dark, less detailed/resolute/clarity focused sound-signature of the IE80s vs. the universal TOTL IEMs out there.)

The Duet seems to provide a more "intimate" in-your-face sound; and yet, although it completely lacks any of that noticeable background hiss w/ sensitive low-impedance IEMs that plagues the Rx MkIII-B+, I find the Duet's overall sound-signature a bit too sterile or "boring" overall when compared to the ALO amp. I've noticed that the Duet seems to be really articulate, "clear"-sounding, tends to reproduce an up-front/front-row "presence" sound-signature (especially to the more minute details within recordings, in which the Duet articulates much more sharply and aggressively than the ALO amp), and gives off a "brighter"/more detail-focused-on-the-mids-section sound when compared to the ALO Rx MkIII-B+ in my opinion.

Hi refault,

Thanks for your great impressions. Since you own both the Duet and the MkIII B+, your opinion carries a lot of weight. On hiss factor alone with sensitive IEMs, on a percentage basis, how much more hiss would you say you hear between tracks at normal listening levels with the ALO versus with the Duet?? And for the bass part, would you say the bass also, although more impactful, is perhaps less defined than with the Duet? Finally, would you say the overall ALO presentation is just ever so slightly "muddy" or dare I say "distorted" versus the Duet? (that was my experience with an older Mark II - fun sounding but less detailed and slightly dirtier sounding than other amps in its class? Don't want to put words in your mouth - just trying to zero in on the issues that I am most interested in clearing up. Appreciate your thoughts.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #216 of 353
  Hi refault,

Thanks for your great impressions. Since you own both the Duet and the MkIII B+, your opinion carries a lot of weight. On hiss factor alone with sensitive IEMs, on a percentage basis, how much more hiss would you say you hear between tracks at normal listening levels with the ALO versus with the Duet?? And for the bass part, would you say the bass also, although more impactful, is perhaps less defined than with the Duet? Finally, would you say the overall ALO presentation is just ever so slightly "muddy" or dare I say "distorted" versus the Duet? (that was my experience with an older Mark II - fun sounding but less detailed and slightly dirtier sounding than other amps in its class? Don't want to put words in your mouth - just trying to zero in on the issues that I am most interested in clearing up. Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks for your response oriise. I'm glad to get some feedback on my impressions in-between the Rx MkIII B+ and the Duet so far, :).

With regards to the hissing, I'd say the hiss on the Duet is practically non-existent with my sensitive/low-impedance IEMs (K3003i and IE800 both exhibit a fairly black background and quiet soundfloor with the Duet.) Of course the K3003is and IE800s exhibit hissing (or a slightly "raised" soundfloor/not as "black" background) with the Rx MkIII B+, but as I said earlier it isn't that bothersome once you get used to the sound signature of the amp, and the hiss shouldn't get in-the-way at all while listening to music or watching movies on both IEMs with the ALO amp.

The only IEM that I've had major trouble with in regards to hissing with the ALO Rx MkIII-B+ amp is the Sennheiser IE80; the hiss on the IE80s is almost unbearable and doesn't really 'disappear' into the background when listening to music/watching movies/etc. like it does when listening to the TOTL IEMs (AKG K3003i/Sennheiser IE800.) Maybe the sound-signature itself of the IE80 (cheaper, due to not being TOTL) has something to do with the hiss being more prominent/unavoidable/unbearable with the ALO Rx MkIII-B+ amp though? Not sure the reason for it myself (could be the muddier sound-signature of the IE80 making the hiss more pronounced), but I'm glad the hiss 'disappears' in the background w/ the K3003i/IE800 at least.

On the issue of bass, I do find the bass on the Duet to be slightly less defined than on the Rx MkIII-B+, yes, but mostly b/c the Duet seems to be really mids-centric/focused more than anything else in my experience. I find the ALO amp reproduces bass in a more "open"/"less confined" manner than on the Duet, which tends to add a slight amount of texture/detail to the bass when compared.

I've never tried the Mark II amp myself, but I wouldn't consider the Rx MkIII-B+ to sound at all "muddy" or "distorted" when compared to the Duet; it's just that the Duet has a much more mids-focused and sharp/detailed/"clarity" focused sound-signature when compared to the Rx MkIII-B+'s more open, airy/spacious/resolute sound-signature. With that said, it does make the Rx MkIII-B+ sound a bit "further back" in a concert-hall when compared to the Duet's up-front in-your-face mids presentation, but I wouldn't consider it at all muddy/distorted sounding (except for the hissing, which as I stated earlier is pretty easy to ignore on the TOTL IEMs I've tried it with.) The hissing might give the perception that the sound seems a little "dirtier" though when compared to the dead-silent Duet; and along with being more 'spacious' sounding than the Duet, the details aren't as "pushed" in-your-face on the Rx MkIII-B+ as the Duet tends to present details (especially mids details.) At times I've found the Duet to sound just a tad-bit "grainy" at times even too due to this.

Overall, I enjoy both amps, but I prefer the Rx MkIII-B+s more "fun" sound-signature/spacious sound-signature for my uses in general. This is not to say I don't enjoy the Duet (as the clarity and detail/mids-focus can be enjoyable also) due to being hiss-less among other things, though. I guess it's just as a personal-preference that I still favor the Rx MkIII-B+ even with low-impedance/high-sensitivity TOTL IEMs slightly more than the Duet.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #217 of 353

Thanks for your response oriise. I'm glad to get some feedback on my impressions in-between the Rx MkIII B+ and the Duet so far, :).

With regards to the hissing, I'd say the hiss on the Duet is practically non-existent with my sensitive/low-impedance IEMs (K3003i and IE800 both exhibit a fairly black background and quiet soundfloor with the Duet.) Of course the K3003is and IE800s exhibit hissing (or a slightly "raised" soundfloor/not as "black" background) with the Rx MkIII B+, but as I said earlier it isn't that bothersome once you get used to the sound signature of the amp, and the hiss shouldn't get in-the-way at all while listening to music or watching movies on both IEMs with the ALO amp.

The only IEM that I've had major trouble with in regards to hissing with the ALO Rx MkIII-B+ amp is the Sennheiser IE80; the hiss on the IE80s is almost unbearable and doesn't really 'disappear' into the background when listening to music/watching movies/etc. like it does when listening to the TOTL IEMs (AKG K3003i/Sennheiser IE800.) Maybe the sound-signature itself of the IE80 (cheaper, due to not being TOTL) has something to do with the hiss being more prominent/unavoidable/unbearable with the ALO Rx MkIII-B+ amp though? Not sure the reason for it myself (could be the muddier sound-signature of the IE80 making the hiss more pronounced), but I'm glad the hiss 'disappears' in the background w/ the K3003i/IE800 at least.

On the issue of bass, I do find the bass on the Duet to be slightly less defined than on the Rx MkIII-B+, yes, but mostly b/c the Duet seems to be really mids-centric/focused more than anything else in my experience. I find the ALO amp reproduces bass in a more "open"/"less confined" manner than on the Duet, which tends to add a slight amount of texture/detail to the bass when compared.

I've never tried the Mark II amp myself, but I wouldn't consider the Rx MkIII-B+ to sound at all "muddy" or "distorted" when compared to the Duet; it's just that the Duet has a much more mids-focused and sharp/detailed/"clarity" focused sound-signature when compared to the Rx MkIII-B+'s more open, airy/spacious/resolute sound-signature. With that said, it does make the Rx MkIII-B+ sound a bit "further back" in a concert-hall when compared to the Duet's up-front in-your-face mids presentation, but I wouldn't consider it at all muddy/distorted sounding (except for the hissing, which as I stated earlier is pretty easy to ignore on the TOTL IEMs I've tried it with.) The hissing might give the perception that the sound seems a little "dirtier" though when compared to the dead-silent Duet; and along with being more 'spacious' sounding than the Duet, the details aren't as "pushed" in-your-face on the Rx MkIII-B+ as the Duet tends to present details (especially mids details.) At times I've found the Duet to sound just a tad-bit "grainy" at times even too due to this.

Overall, I enjoy both amps, but I prefer the Rx MkIII-B+s more "fun" sound-signature/spacious sound-signature for my uses in general. This is not to say I don't enjoy the Duet (as the clarity and detail/mids-focus can be enjoyable also) due to being hiss-less among other things, though. I guess it's just as a personal-preference that I still favor the Rx MkIII-B+ even with low-impedance/high-sensitivity TOTL IEMs slightly more than the Duet.

Refault,

Thanks a bunch. Very helpful. I am now leaning towards the ALO. Just a couple of final questions - how would you characterize the differences over the Duet on 1/ the degree of difference in width and depth to the soundstage 2/ high frequency detail/extension and 3/ the amount of ambient cues/wetness/reverb trails? Though I like the Duet on some level, I find it somewhat closed in on soundstaging, have darker/subdued highs and loosing some ambient cues that I would hear on my home rig. If you feel the ALO bests the Duet to a noticeable degree in any or ideally all of these areas, I would be willing to deal with some hiss to get there. Looking forward to your thoughts here. Thanks, Ole.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #219 of 353
Will these drive the beyerdynamic T1 decently?

Will they drive them? For sure. Decently? That's up to you to decide but it is one of the top portable amps currently being sold

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #221 of 353
Looks nice, more IEM user friendly, smaller footprint, longer battery life too. I think Cypher labs need to build another CLAS without extra balance output.  
Quote:
  Is anyone gonna volunteer to make a AlgoRhythm Picollo thread or is it too early? I'm honestly quite excited to how'd they sound compared to the Duet for sensitive headphones and IEMs

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #222 of 353
I think Cypher Labs should build a new CLAS PERIOD. The sound quality is still good but with the advent of the CCK and newer tech, CL's biggest selling point, iDevice integration, is seeming less and less important. Also, I believe the newcomers such as the RL Herus, iDSD Nano, Geek Out, are already comparable in sound quality. 

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #223 of 353
"Belief" is not the same as basing upon personal demo and if you have not heard it then you should avoid commenting

It is true if Apple continue to allow digital audio out via cck then mfi certification is not important and a manufacturer need only concentrate on power management

In my demo of Herus and clas dB side by side the CL device is still class above

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #224 of 353
"Belief" is not the same as basing upon personal demo and if you have not heard it then you should avoid commenting

My apologies as I'm merely sharing the possibility. Sound is subjective of course and I find even the DACport LX to be comparable than the CLAS -dB… 

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #225 of 353
That's not what my post meant. This is an influential forum and people spend large sums of money based on the forum advice. Nothing personal but your post did not read like personal experience. By all means please say more if based on your own listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back