Customer Service - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Jul 4, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #136 of 279

Quote:
I would have done the same, if your not going to buy why ask for the price -.-?
Don't waste peoples time bro.

that's not the logical response if you actually think it through. If I wanted to know the price, I expect the customer support representative to give me an answer while being nice because if they're nice, then I will have an incentive of coming back to buy it when I actually come around to buying the product. If I'm treated like crap because I'm not buying something, then I'll take my money somewhere else. It's just common sense that you're supposed to treat the customer with kindness because that will get the company more customers in the future. 

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #137 of 279

Quote:

you mean you would've hang up also?!
Then it's probably good you're not in consumer business.

He has the right to ask for price and/or other information without someone hanging up on him.

Sometimes I really question where this society is going in it's norms on seller-buyer relationships.....

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #138 of 279

Quote:
My general feeling about most "Customer Service" these days.....

For many, yes.  But you did complement Koss for helping you with your cable issue involving the 35 y/o electrostat.  It's not all bad.  I'm more surprised by the number of people who don't seem to care about the quality of customer service or who get personally offended if someone says anything negative about their favorite company as if they were the principal stock holders.  You should take a look at some of the vitriole in another thread about whether anyone "still loves their PS1000".  Some posters are very professional and mature when dealing with differences of opinion and others become personal and abusive.  And then there are the smug and snarky.  But I digress . . .

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #139 of 279
Grado has been a bad experience for me. Even though I love their headphones, the quality and build have never impressed me. I also had a defective unit shipped back to me and the phone operators at their store are very rude. Really like it was a pain to even answer the phone.

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #140 of 279

Quote:
Strange experience with JR.com customer service over the phone a few days ago. I called to inquire about their price of Sennheiser HD650s and I was as polite as possible, with my "please" and "thank yous", the gentleman quoted me the price and said "Okay so would you like to go along with buying these?" to which I replied "Not right now thank you, I'm still shopping around, appreciate the help though" and then he immediately hung up the phone on me without saying goodbye or anything. Not a big deal, but the individual was a little impatient/rude.

That kink of behavior is not unusual for telephone reps.  Part of it depends on how much time you took before informing him you were shopping around.  But there's never an excuse for outright rudeness or just hanging up on someone.  The rep could have simply said "please call back if we can help you" and wished you a good day.  Unfortunately, businesses often time the rep and downrate those who spend more than some maximum time on the phone with any one person.  That kind of management invites rudeness.  I don't know if JR.com is one of those businesses but it's more common than you might think.    

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #141 of 279

Quote:

We don't really know the entire conversation.  If he just wanted to know the price and took a long time to get to that point, to be sure, that's not considerate of the business.  However, as I opined above, I don't think there's ever an excuse for outright rudeness such as just hanging up the telephone on someone unless that person was obscene or otherwise behaving badly.  If I was the potential customer, I would never consider going back to that business after being hung up on.

I agree with you that customers should respect the time of the business, too.  I just don't think that hanging up on someone is the optimal response, even if the customer took too much time or wasn't really interested in buying at that time.  I think hanging up on someone who has merely consumed too much time (if that's even what happened - we don't know) is not professional and is always remembered.  IOW - it's bad business.

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #142 of 279

Quote:

that's not the logical response if you actually think it through. If I wanted to know the price, I expect the customer support representative to give me an answer while being nice because if they're nice, then I will have an incentive of coming back to buy it when I actually come around to buying the product. If I'm treated like crap because I'm not buying something, then I'll take my money somewhere else. It's just common sense that you're supposed to treat the customer with kindness because that will get the company more customers in the future. 

Hanging up = bad business, unless the person is being obscene or otherwise behaving atrociously.

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #143 of 279

Quote:
you mean you would've hang up also?!
Then it's probably good you're not in consumer business.

He has the right to ask for price and/or other information without someone hanging up on him.

Sometimes I really question where this society is going in it's norms on seller-buyer relationships.....

See my other comments.  Rudeness has become endemic in our society.  Just read some of the posts on this forum among people who don't agree.  Some people treat each other on this forum the same way others drive - with total indifference to civility or humanity.  I think it's because, at least in part, these rude people feel immune from the recipient of their rudeness giving them an old-fashioned punch in the nose.  Driving, telephone, internet, you name it, if the other guy can't touch you, civility is out the window for many people.  That's human nature.

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #144 of 279

Quote:

See my other comments.  Rudeness has become endemic in our society.  Just read some of the posts on this forum among people who don't agree.  Some people treat each other on this forum the same way others drive - with total indifference to civility or humanity.  I think it's because, at least in part, these rude people feel immune from the recipient of their rudeness giving them an old-fashioned punch in the nose.  Driving, telephone, internet, you name it, if the other guy can't touch you, civility is out the window for many people.  That's human nature.

You're so right. I do have to say that on the whole people are nice and civilized on head-fi here, it's way way worse on many other forums.

One of the problems in Western societies these days is that bad products, food, service etc. are not enough negatively reinforced by the consumers; companies get away with it and can stay in business.

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #145 of 279
Sadly, these days I consider it a "good" customer service experience if I walk away from such an encounter w/out wanting to gnash my teeth.  I can't think of the last time I've had a notably, truly "good" experience w/ ANY company, audio-related or otherwise.  They either do the minimum required or less.

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #147 of 279
So I got a bad Digizoid ZO portable subwoofer that I was supposed to ship for a fellow head-fi brother in the UK. Unit comes defective, whatever, apparently I wasted like 10 minutes on the phone last week going through this huge automated system (this was Sharper Image, which has been bought out by a private entity) just to find out their RMA process

You just ship the crap items back in a box with the packing slip, and you don't call or report it to the company at all. You're supposed to just trust that whatever you bought will just come back new or refunded based on whatever you chose to HANDWRITE on the packing slip apparently.

A lot of people wonder why American business isn't doing so hot sometimes, maybe it's because of stuff like this. I'm also into folding knives and Benchmade has to be the best customer service alongside Surefire that I've ever experiences. Lifetime warranty on everything just because their stuff is that good and should last that long. Just plain awesome! And if anything breaks they just replace it and ship it back to me on their dime!

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #148 of 279

Quote:
I'm also into folding knives and Benchmade has to be the best customer service alongside Surefire that I've ever experiences. Lifetime warranty on everything just because their stuff is that good and should last that long. Just plain awesome! And if anything breaks they just replace it and ship it back to me on their dime!

Idem with Zippo lighters. No receipts of purchase needed or anything, simply lifetime warrantee. They repair or replace, no nonsense.

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #149 of 279
About my earlier posts on TTVJ not responding to my communication on the LCD-2 which was sent to the wrong country, I now did a paypal dispute.

I deeply regret having to do such a thing on an actually well repecting head-fi sponsor, but I really don't know what else to do. Without replies on my communication, there's simply no other sollution

Dear TTVJ / Todd Green,

After you've send my LCD-2 to the wrong country, I didn't make a big problem out of it. But we're a month after my payment now and you don't answer my emails or pm's on head-fi. Without any reply to my communication, I feel forced to do a paypal dispute and if not with satisfactory sollution, a paypal claim.
My wish is now very simple: a full refund on the 2 payments I did on the LCD-2: 825 + 186,60 = 1011,60 usd.

Log on events:
- 7 june: I pay for LCD-2 with paypal
- 7 june: LCD-2 is sent to wrong country: Switserland in stead of The Netherlands, while adress is given correcly on both email and paypal account
- 7 june: I email you back within 10 minutes after the USPS tracking confirmation, that it's being sent to the wrong country
- 8 june: I call your store and have contact with Brian, who would contact USPS and take care for a sollution
- 17 june: I get an email from you (Todd) that you had contact with USPS, informing that my LCD-2 will be delivered within 3-5 days
- 24 june: Email from me to you, informing you that I didn't have the LCD-2 yet, asking for a sollution (no reply)
- 29 june: pm sent to your head-fi account, informing you about still not having the LCD-2, asking for a sollution (no reply)
- 4 july: email from me to you, still no LCD-2, asking for a refund (no reply)
- 5 july: forced to do a paypal dispute because no active communication with you is possible

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #150 of 279
^ within a couple of hours, a refund, reply and offer to send a new one; even the new type which is 50 usd more expensive, for the same price, to compensate me.

I don't know why a dispute is needed but it has to be said that Todd responded very nicely now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back