Custom Triple.fi 10 Pro & Custom Shure SE530
Jul 19, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #256 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeckwsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know the email address but someone here said it's quicker to send them msgs via MSN??

so anyone care to pm me their/sam's MSN?
biggrin.gif

thanks a lot

P.S. cuz the black shure olive just broke both my um2's stalks (but i am already listening to RE0 atm but planning to return them due to the recessed mids)

Definitely, i talked with him for 3 hours on MSN. =)

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #257 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by romanesq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder why you would even go to the Custom level from the Triple fi10?

If you go through the upgrade, why not the fourth driver?

Still looking forward to reading your review. Please post here first so we know to look on the "Big Board." Thanks.

Because IMO, the TF10 PRO have a horrible design, and are too heavy for how they fit in the ear, and because the memory wire is disgusting, so i would make them custom any day and i'm sure many people would too. Also because making your monitors custom insures that you have a perfect fit, and the hgihest quality audio from the earphone that you can get. Cause fit+seal=big part of SQ.

Also because adding the fourth driver adds $120 to the bill, so not everyone may want to go with that. it's not a free service.

Hope that helped you out a bit =)

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #258 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because IMO, the TF10 PRO have a horrible design, and are too heavy for how they fit in the ear, and because the memory wire is disgusting, so i would make them custom any day and i'm sure many people would too. Also because making your monitors custom insures that you have a perfect fit, and the hgihest quality audio from the earphone that you can get. Cause fit+seal=big part of SQ.

Also because adding the fourth driver adds $120 to the bill, so not everyone may want to go with that. it's not a free service.

Hope that helped you out a bit =)

You just articulated my reasoning about the prospect of customizing a TF10. It's too bad that the TF10 is an ergonomic nightmare. Also, that $120 for the extra driver is really pricey, when you start to put it into context. I would go for the custom mod without the extra driver.

This thread is a bit of a tease. I think the concept that UM is trying to employ is excellent. I'm not convinced, though, that the execution is quite where it could be yet. I think they're walking a fine line with their pricing.

I think it's probably worth it for high end universals, but once you get into having to do additional things, like the added driver, or going for one of their in-house customs, the value ratio seems to drop off significantly.

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #259 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just articulated my reasoning about the prospect of customizing a TF10. It's too bad that the TF10 is an ergonomic nightmare. Also, that $120 for the extra driver is really pricey, when you start to put it into context. I would go for the custom mod without the extra driver.

This thread is a bit of a tease. I think the concept that UM is trying to employ is excellent. I'm not convinced, though, that the execution is quite where it could be yet. I think they're walking a fine line with their pricing.

I think it's probably worth it for high end universals, but once you get into having to do additional things, like the added driver, or going for one of their in-house customs, the value ratio seems to drop off significantly.

Never know until we try. I would be willing to bet that the 4 driver TF10 custom would out perform most low priced 3 driver customs and be on par with the High end Customs from UE Westone and JH audio

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #260 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never know until we try. I would be willing to bet that the 4 driver TF10 custom would out perform most low priced 3 driver customs and be on par with the High end Customs from UE Westone and JH audio

I agree that it would likely be similar in performance quality. I'm less sure about price/value.

It kinda depends on what you're starting out with. If you picked up a used, out of warranty triple.fi for a good deal on the forum, say $200, then I think it can make sense.

However, UM's own in-house quad-driver custom, which is said to sound similar to the UE house sound, is said to be over $500. Now, you could look at that price and think "well, it's half the price of a comparable UE product but delivers similar quality".

But I don't know what kind of warranty it comes with, or how willing UM would be to do multiple refits. That's not saying that it wouldn't come with a good warranty and that they wouldn't do refits...it just means that they're not as well established as UE or JH and there is monetary value in those brands with established customer service records.

It's not that I don't think UM is a great potential niche company in this market. I'm excited about the prospect that it could offer high value for consumers on a budget. There are services/products in it's offerings that I think are strong values.

It's when they start getting closer to their competitors in price that I think their value starts to be put in question. Personally, if I were considering whether to spend $5-600 on a UM quad custom or saving a couple hundred more for a JH or Westone product, I'd probably go with the established company.

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #261 of 616
Quote:

The Amount of drivers don't mean that whole lot, the Alien Ears Triple Driver doesn't even come close to the Westone ES3X or the UE10 PRO despite all being triple drivers. It;s about the material, tuning, and craftsmanship of the monitor too. Infact, tuning, research, experience, and build of the monitor is more important to how many and what drivers you use. So just because it's quad driver IEM doesn't necessarily make it on par with offerings from Westone, UE, and JHA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones

Well, the customs do tend to be a bit more expensive compared to larger companies like Westone. For example, their Dual-Driver UM4 custom is around $425 USD compared to the Dual Driver JH5 from JHA and UE4 from UE which are both at $399. But i think this might be do to the fact that materials cost more in China because everything needs to be shipped there and taxed heavily. I could imagine BA's being charged a lot in taxing. But none the less, i think the cost of the custom re-molding is at a extraodinary price at roughly $180. Because custom Earplugs cost $130 dollar s a pair around, and there's no hands-on labour on them.

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #262 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that it would likely be similar in performance quality. I'm less sure about price/value.

It kinda depends on what you're starting out with. If you picked up a used, out of warranty triple.fi for a good deal on the forum, say $200, then I think it can make sense.

However, UM's own in-house quad-driver custom, which is said to sound similar to the UE house sound, is said to be over $500. Now, you could look at that price and think "well, it's half the price of a comparable UE product but delivers similar quality".

But I don't know what kind of warranty it comes with, or how willing UM would be to do multiple refits. That's not saying that it wouldn't come with a good warranty and that they wouldn't do refits...it just means that they're not as well established as UE or JH and there is monetary value in those brands with established customer service records.

It's not that I don't think UM is a great potential niche company in this market. I'm excited about the prospect that it could offer high value for consumers on a budget. There are services/products in it's offerings that I think are strong values.

It's when they start getting closer to their competitors in price that I think their value starts to be put in question. Personally, if I were considering whether to spend $5-600 on a UM quad custom or saving a couple hundred more for a JH or Westone product, I'd probably go with the established company.

Understand where you're coming from, and the Quad Custom won't be out till Mid-Augst earliest. But the gap between the models in price are sooo much smaller compared to the jump that UE gives. For example, going from dual to triple in UE costs $250 more, and for JH it's $300. UM's jump from dual to QUAD is only $80 (expectant)...so it may not be that bad.

However, like roy_jones had said, i would pay the premium to go with a well established company like Westone, UE, JH Audio and Earsonics.

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #263 of 616
Roy that is exactly what I did, I bought a Used TF10 Pro for 200 lol. So if this is even 75% of the UE10, I think I am in good shape.

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #264 of 616
Quote:

I really love the sound of the TF10, and would like to improve its qualities while not changing its overall signature. That is why. Some people don't want forward mids.

So how much? I already have custom plugs I had made at the earplugstore.com.

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #265 of 616
Does UM provide free custom artwork if you change your universals to customs?

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #266 of 616
Can someone who has dealt with UM please post, or pm me, the on contact details on which you contacted UM on. The only contact details I could find on their side was um@uniquemelody.org but after several emails and couple of weeks there is still no anwser.

Any help appreciated.

----
Pomidor

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #268 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by romanesq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how much? I already have custom plugs I had made at the earplugstore.com.

The Reshell and UE11 Cable is like 130ish, Forget the full price.

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #270 of 616
I've been contacting Sam just by using um@uniquemelody.org, but if there is indeed an MSN address of theirs that can be had, I'd very much appreciate it being sent to me via PM, as I have my moulds sitting right here just dying to be shipped out, and the 2 day turnaround on emails is killing me!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back