Custom IEMs - Which ones? Range up to £800
Jun 30, 2010 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ZimmerX

Member of the Trade: Frogbeats
Hey there HeadFi,

Now that I've had my Westone 2s for some time (great earphones) and have just sent them away to get ACS Custom Earphone Sleeves, I've been considering jumping into the Custom IEM range.

I feel that whilst the Westone 2s are fantastic, I don't get 100% of what I want from my music - especially the treble and lows. Most definitely a step up from my Etymotic ER-6is and Ultimate Ears 700 (on both of these the cable failed) I still feel I could do better.

My main reason for Customs over Universal? My ears. They're awkwardly small and the Westone 2 encasing just fits in them (which is why I couldn't even consider the SM3s, SE530s, W3s etc) and that is why I believe customs are the way to go.

So, what do you recommend? My maximum budget is about £800 ($1200).

I listen to absolutely everything. I would like some decent bass on them.

Now, this is one thing I must emphasise - I want to use these with an MP3 player (specifically Zune HD) and I need these to be able to drive themselves or can be driven with a mini amp. I am out and about usually and don't listen to music through earphones at home due to having a pretty nice sound system.

From what I've read and heard, the ones spoken about are:
JH13s
Livewires
Westone ES5s
UE10 Pro
ACS T1
Unique Melody Mages

I've heard of more, but these are rolling off the top of my head.

The next question is this: As there are no dealers of JH Audio and Westone in the UK, how would I go about doing this?
ACS already have my ear moulds on file, which is a massive benefit and I hear fantastic things about their T1s... but I'd like to know what you guys think.

Cheers :)

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 13
Yeah, everyone seems to praise the JH13s... the only problem is that they also seem to praise the T1s and the Livewires so I can't really make up my mind. I don't need a comparison, more of an opinion from users of any of these models. Reviews can do so much, but if they're all just as positive then it's hard to pick out the best one for me.

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 13
I own both the JH13s and JH16s. Based on the description you provided above, you should also consider the JH16s.  The bass you get out of them rivals to those of the Denon D7000s even when driven directly from a DAP (provided quality recording material at a decent bitrate).

To my ears the JH16s sound more natural than the JH13s and are more sensitive with a larger headroom.  The JH13s do better when paired with high-end audio, particularly tube amps, however than the JH16s.  This doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

I didn't audition the ACS or Westones, so I cannot comment on how they compare, but my money is on JHA and I have yet to be disappointed.

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 13
well i cant think of a custom that hasnt been highly praised and seeing as not too many hear a variety (kinda pricey and not so re saleable)

shizego has reviewed several if you look through for them  http://www.touchmyapps.com/category/headphones/reviews2/

best way would be go for what seems to be closest to what your after but going T1 would be the easiest id bet and no dealing with HMRC

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 13
I bought my JH13's directly from JH Audio. Send your impressions to them (if you are 100% happy with them) with a signature the other end which is about £5 total via royal mail.

Given the exchange rate you should come in under budget. Many people, including me rate the JH13's up there with some of the finest phones out there. Now before I get flames, I said ''Some'' of the finest..... or you could go with the JH16's if that floats your boat, either way I recon you'd be chuffed to bits.

Are you happy with your impressions? Open mouth? Past the second bend? If you are not 110% get them done again or factor in a cost for sending across the water for a refit (unless you go the ACS route of course).

Good luck with the purchase which ever you choose :)

Nigel

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 13
I'll also add the earsonics em3 as a possible option. Never heard it myself, but if you're considering customs in that price range you may as well know your options. That said, considering the rave reviews the earsonics sm3 is getting, it's likely that the em3 is quite good. Shigzeo is coming out with a review sometime around the end of the week, if you're interested.

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 13
Can't deal with headphones. Much prefer earphones and I hate wearing headphones out and about. If I wanted headphones it would be for the house and I don't need them as I have my sound system.

Yeah, T1s do look like the best bet... But I'm keeping all my options open for now.

Quote:
Would you want headphones? Cause if you want to satisfy bass needs, they can satisfy your bass needs. But, I thought that the E500's had smaller casings than the W2's?

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #10 of 13
How much did you pay for your impressions in the UK, Nigel?

Yeah, the impressions were done both open and closed mouth - was talking during the process haha. Second bed, I'm unsure about that, but I'm quite positive they went quite deep.

The JH13s do come under budget, but then I have to add on the cost of ear impressions, something which they wont pay for (which I find a bit stupid, if you ask me).

Also, in reply to the Earsonics EM3 statement - I had a look at them, and they look fantastic, but I noticed that it's only a 2-way crossover for 850EUR... That's a lot for 2 low drivers and one high in comparison with the JH13s and the T1s... Just an observation though, I do realise that in the end it's not the number of drivers that matters in the custom monitors.
Quote:
I bought my JH13's directly from JH Audio. Send your impressions to them (if you are 100% happy with them) with a signature the other end which is about £5 total via royal mail.

Given the exchange rate you should come in under budget. Many people, including me rate the JH13's up there with some of the finest phones out there. Now before I get flames, I said ''Some'' of the finest..... or you could go with the JH16's if that floats your boat, either way I recon you'd be chuffed to bits.

Are you happy with your impressions? Open mouth? Past the second bend? If you are not 110% get them done again or factor in a cost for sending across the water for a refit (unless you go the ACS route of course).

Good luck with the purchase which ever you choose :)

Nigel

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 13
Sorry ZimmerX didn't realise there was a response (my bad). I got my impressions done for £20 at a local hearing aid centre. The first time I was talking also and because of this I had to send my JH13's back for a refit :frowning2:

My first ever impressions for my ACS IE8 Tips cost me a lot more (David Ormerod / Boots) and were rubbish.

I've learned the hard way but if you don't get it right it costs you in the long run.

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #12 of 13
My review has been postponed because of an ear infection - I am very sorry. In fact, it may be another week before I can finish without the noises in my head bothering me. 

The EM3Pro is the easiest to drive of the bunch and has a lush Earsonics house sound. The JH13Pro is clear and deep, but is harder to drive - it is lovely from an iPod, but add a nice little amp and it has wonderful range.

The ACS T1 is for many reasons my personal favourite. It is durable (far more durable than any acrylic earphone), has a strong, light cable, is great for sports, isolates well, can be tossed in any pouch for protection, and has throbbing bass (not too much, but resonant).

They are each good, but the T1 replaced my hitherto favourite, the FitEar 333 in overall love and the EM3Pro is showing me how a well engineered earphone doesn't need an amp to sound fantastic. In fact, I simply refuse to carry one with the EM3Pro with any source.

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #13 of 13

So shigzeo, would you recommend the T1s as the best custom monitor for you? From what I read that you said - You have the EM3Pro, the JH13Pro and the T1s and you much prefer the T1s over any of the rest. Would you recommend a portable amp to drive them on an MP3 player (I have a Zune HD)? I'm genuinely considering getting the T1s... it's just the cost that is putting me off right now.
Quote:
My review has been postponed because of an ear infection - I am very sorry. In fact, it may be another week before I can finish without the noises in my head bothering me. 

The EM3Pro is the easiest to drive of the bunch and has a lush Earsonics house sound. The JH13Pro is clear and deep, but is harder to drive - it is lovely from an iPod, but add a nice little amp and it has wonderful range.

The ACS T1 is for many reasons my personal favourite. It is durable (far more durable than any acrylic earphone), has a strong, light cable, is great for sports, isolates well, can be tossed in any pouch for protection, and has throbbing bass (not too much, but resonant).

They are each good, but the T1 replaced my hitherto favourite, the FitEar 333 in overall love and the EM3Pro is showing me how a well engineered earphone doesn't need an amp to sound fantastic. In fact, I simply refuse to carry one with the EM3Pro with any source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back