Custom IEM socket issues
Aug 18, 2011 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aeneas

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I got my UM customs (with additional drivers) from a warranty repair back today. The problem was that one of the units (right) had a loose socket which caused it to fall off the cable and crack. They've fixed it.

It took a long time, mostly because of postal issues on their end and then having to send new impressions, so I got them back half an hour ago, over 3 months later. My warranty is out now, but I have another problem and don't want to send them to China again.

Basically, the left socket is not deep enough. I tried with my old cable and with a new one (both Westone ES3) but it's the same - there's a gap of a few millimeters and I can see the gold pins. I also tried with the broken plug on my old cable, which has just one pin, in case that helped, but it's just the same.
This also means that it's loose, and I don't want to have the same problems as before.

The left unit was fine previously, which means they've worked on it - maybe a reshell (hard to tell because they're plain) or maybe something else.

I can't afford a reshell right now (plus impressions and shipping) and would be annoyed if I had to do this, because they should have checked before dispatch.

Can anyone suggest something I can do myself?

EDIT:
I tried trimming the pins (on an old cable) and it gets rid of the gap but it's still too loose - the slightest touch and it comes off.
Also, I will only use glue as a last resort because these cables don't lost forever - even if they don't break, the slider becomes loose within a year or two, and the slider is important in how I wear them.

P.S. Does anyone have a link to buy plugs for DIY customs cables. I remember a thread or post from over a year ago and but can't find the bookmark. Thanks!

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 6
Grab a pair of pliers, and snip a millimeter off the pins? Might not be clever, but it would allow for a tighter fit. 

My UE super.fi5 have a loose cable, it's very frustrating! 

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks. I thought about this but didn't expect it to fix the looseness issue.
I have an old cable that I can try it on though...

Yep, it's still very loose. No gap but the bigger problem remains.
Edited original post.

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 6
Shoot an e-mail to them to see if they can extend their warranty as it is the fault of the QC that they didn't catch the loose connector. You also probably don't need to do another impression if the fit of the molds are fine. It is just the connector, right?

UM is usually pretty alright with its customer service. So, I'll definitely ask their representatives first before trying to do anything myself.

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 6
Best option, source a UM cable from your local dealer.

Next best, bend your pins outward on your Westone cable.  It's not perfect but it works.

Next best, get a re-shell.  If the fit is already good, we keep your impressions on file.  Make sure you upgrade to recessed sockets and grab a UM cable whilst your at it.

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Shoot an e-mail to them to see if they can extend their warranty as it is the fault of the QC that they didn't catch the loose connector. You also probably don't need to do another impression if the fit of the molds are fine. It is just the connector, right?

UM is usually pretty alright with its customer service. So, I'll definitely ask their representatives first before trying to do anything myself.

I think it's an issue of time as well. It'll take at least 6 week, probably 2 months, and I've sold all my other IEMs and headphones (I only have stock cellphone earphones now), and I can't afford anything else for a couple of months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back