Custom IEM Review: Hidition NT-6 Pro – Clear & Precise Fun
Feb 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #260 of 527
Mim, did you post anywhere comparison between NT-6 and 5way? If not, can you write something about their comparison?
They are both close to neutrality, the NT6 on the bright side, the SE5 on the warm side. The NT6 is more neutral as the SE5 has slightly more bass. The NT6 is neutral bright without being cold or dry, because the sound is unbelievably liquid, making it smooth and musical. The NT6 has wider soundstage but the SE5 might have more depth. The NT6 is more airy and the SE5 has more not weght, giving a better impression of separation, but making the NT6 more fluid. The bass on the NT6 is a bit less in quantity, and snappier, tighter. The SE5 bass is not bloated at all, but the subbass is more present. Overall two wonderful ciems, equally competent but quite different.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #261 of 527
Thanks, Mim.
As I read the reviews it seems that NT-6 Pros has more bass power in comparison to NT-6 so maybe Pros are more similar (than NT-6) to 5way in terms of bass. In case of 5way I'm little bit afraid that they will too dark for me; I know that the majority of people does not describe them as being dark but I'm very sensitive to warm CIEMs/IEMs.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #262 of 527
Thanks, Mim.
As I read the reviews it seems that NT-6 Pros has more bass power in comparison to NT-6 so maybe Pros are more similar (than NT-6) to 5way in terms of bass. In case of 5way I'm little bit afraid that they will too dark for me; I know that the majority of people does not describe them as being dark but I'm very sensitive to warm CIEMs/IEMs.

Been listening more this morning with no distractions and another day of burn in. I think there is a subtle shift in sound. With treble a little reduced, they sound pretty fantastic. Listening to some of the same tracks that were sibilant, that seems to be going or gone.

Whatever the sound signature- these iems make you want to listen. I find myself at the end of an album that I'd only intended to listen to few tracks of. The bass kick and instrument separation and placement is on another level to anything I have heard before. Mids are opening up as well. Very satisfying. I think I will be happy with these. Perhaps brain burn in as well and getting used to a different sound signature and appreciating it.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #263 of 527
Been listening more this morning with no distractions and another day of burn in. I think there is a subtle shift in sound. With treble a little reduced, they sound pretty fantastic. Listening to some of the same tracks that were sibilant, that seems to be going or gone.

Whatever the sound signature- these iems make you want to listen. I find myself at the end of an album that I'd only intended to listen to few tracks of. The bass kick and instrument separation and placement is on another level to anything I have heard before. Mids are opening up as well. Very satisfying. I think I will be happy with these. Perhaps brain burn in as well and getting used to a different sound signature and appreciating it.

That's what I feel about this pair.
Give them (and your brain) more time and may be you'll end up liking the mids as much as I do.
I cannot stop using it, and it's becomming a serious addiction.

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #265 of 527
The X5 is currently on its way to the next reviewer - then to me 10 days later. We are both in the same city so I should get it quickly when his 10 days are up. I am definitely counting the seconds.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #266 of 527
Just got the X5 last night and started playing. So far, I can tell you that - IMHO - the NT6 Pros are outstanding with the X5.

My main comparable rig is with my DX50. The DX50 is dialed in with FW1.2.8, paired with my BH2 as a two piece stack. Without the BH2, the X5 wipes the floor with the DX50 with great authority and a much superior DAC providing a much richer/blacker/punchier/3d sound. Adding the BH2 amp, the DX50 sound is closer adding the punch and richness of the X5. However, the BH2 has warmer more euphoric sound that is aggressive and sometimes fatiguing in its slam with the NT6pro. The X5 is a little more laid back allowing the details to flow through widening the sound stage a bit. The other notable difference is that the BH2 focuses a bit more on mid-bass while the X5 bass response is flatter going really deep into the sub-bass allowing the sub-bass to shine through without covering it up. This plays well with the NT6 Pro signature promoting its unique frequency extension both directions. 

The things I appreciate with the X5 paired with the NT6pro:
  1. Stackless: it has all the punch and authority that I need with the NT6Pro so no stack required.
  2. Effortlessness: the sound is full sized with rich texturing and without any clipping or thinness. The sounds from each singer/instrument sound like they are on the same stage and are scaled correctly. Drums sound like drums rather than like weird clicks.
  3. Neutral Signature: as discussed so far in the X5 threads, the X5 is neutral across the frequency range with a slight warmness that pairs very well with the NT6pro enhancing its signature and supporting its extension both directions.
  4. Sub-bass Authority: The X5 has the power and signature to support an authoritative sub-bass down to the bottom of the range showing off what the NT6pro can really do.
  5. Low Volume Performer: The X5 has authoritative power, full sized sound, and a realistic sound stage down to very low volumes. This is particularly important to me as I am a low level listener usually needing an amp to keep the sound from falling apart at lower volumes. The X5 has a very wide sweat spot in its volume range that is much greater than most DAPs.
  6. Realistic Details: The detail is all there, but in a much more natural sense than the DX50 with a much blacker background to support the 3d sound stage. For example, a singers breath between passages sounds like you were standing next to them vs. an unnatural metallic sizzle that is pushed forward.

Unfortunately, I don't have nor have I heard the DX100 or balanced 901 to know where those fit into the equation. However, between 2 to 4 times the cost if you include the required balanced cable upgrade with the 901, I cannot imagine them being that much better. Given the form factor and my value buyer attitude, they would need to sound at least twice as good for me to consider them over the X5.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #267 of 527
Yes, I did suspect that the NT6 Pro would sing with the X5, and I'm glad to hear it is true.

Even though there are aspects of the NT6 Pro which concern me (mostly the hot treble), I keep returning to it as a possibility for my next CIEM purchase...

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #268 of 527
  Yes, I did suspect that the NT6 Pro would sing with the X5, and I'm glad to hear it is true.

Even though there are aspects of the NT6 Pro which concern me (mostly the hot treble), I keep returning to it as a possibility for my next CIEM purchase...

I am very treble sensitive myself, probably the biggest reason that I tend to be a low volume listener, but I still have trouble calling the NT6 Pro a bright CIEM - hence hot treble. I guess it is a matter of prospective. I don't have the experience of hearing all the great CIEMs like average joe for perspective, but to me the NT6 Pro feels very neutral in signature with everything that I have paired it with. However, being painfully neutral, the NT6pro does't have the mid nor mid-bass bump to cover up its highs so they do come through with great clarity and detail. I think the NT6pro's secret sauce is its 5-way configuration allowing the BAs to focus on a smaller range for greater clarity and better blackness. However the low end goes really low with a lot of authority as well providing a very balanced sound with nothing getting in the way of anything else. If the sound is not there, there is just blackness unlike the bright IEMs that I have heard the just continue hissing at you without any bass to back up the sound. It is actually the treble extension that provides the rich 3d texturing to the bass that makes it so realistic rather than just being a bass fart. With a kick drum for example, using a well recorded source, it allows you to hear the pedal, the slap, the boom, the reverb, and the decay and even the stop if kicked again.

I wish there was an easy way for you to hear them yourself, you would see what I mean.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #270 of 527
I am very treble sensitive myself, probably the biggest reason that I tend to be a low volume listener, but I still have trouble calling the NT6 Pro a bright CIEM - hence hot treble. I guess it is a matter of prospective. I don't have the experience of hearing all the great CIEMs like average joe for perspective, but to me the NT6 Pro feels very neutral in signature with everything that I have paired it with. However, being painfully neutral, the NT6pro does't have the mid nor mid-bass bump to cover up its highs so they do come through with great clarity and detail. I think the NT6pro's secret sauce is its 5-way configuration allowing the BAs to focus on a smaller range for greater clarity and better blackness. However the low end goes really low with a lot of authority as well providing a very balanced sound with nothing getting in the way of anything else. If the sound is not there, there is just blackness unlike the bright IEMs that I have heard the just continue hissing at you without any bass to back up the sound. It is actually the treble extension that provides the rich 3d texturing to the bass that makes it so realistic rather than just being a bass fart. With a kick drum for example, using a well recorded source, it allows you to hear the pedal, the slap, the boom, the reverb, and the decay and even the stop if kicked again.

I wish there was an easy way for you to hear them yourself, you would see what I mean.

A week ago I wouldn't have agreed with you Barra, but after the 100 hour+ extra burn in of the Nt6 pros, I now do. I also wouldn't call them overly bright now. They were before. I was using the eq to bring down the aggressive, overpowering treble above 4kHz. Now, no eq. Complete change. Vocals have come out, far greater coherence is present.

Listening to anything I have, included poorly mastered or deliberately grainy and trebly recordings, I don't touch the eq. These are amazing IEMs. Mids are now great as well. I can't imagine people disliking them with the Hdp r10. This combo is fantastic. Insert all hyperbole possible about sound! I switched back to my midrange CIEMs and the difference was staggering. Bass extension, no comparison. Detail levels, soundstaging, realism and that musicality that keeps you listening, all no comparison. Isolation is also very good, better than my other acrylics.

Very happy with these! I imagine most people would be ecstatic with these. Unless you love warm. The bite and slam of these is addictive. Well done Hidition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back