Custom IEM Review: Hidition NT-6 Pro – Clear & Precise Fun
Jan 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #33 of 527
Hi joe, happy new year. I've been subscribed to your thread for awhile and haven't bothered commenting hoping someone else would eventually pose the following questions.

Based on your review of the Pro I'm left with the assumption that this CIEM isn't to far off from the house sound of some of Beyerdynamics top offerings. I can't speak for the T1 flagship but speaking as an ex DT1350 owner some of the Pros described sound characteristics seem oddly similar to the DT1350's sound. In your opinion am I correct in assuming the NT-6 Pro would be right up ones alley if they were a fan of the Beyer house sound?

Something else I would like to inquire about. Although the DT1350 was a wonderful little can in it's own right I couldn't help but sometimes be put off by the tonality on some songs. I'm guessing the problem was more related to badly mixed source then the DT1350. I would sometimes notice on certain songs a hint of a metallic like tinge in the mids which ruined female vocals and made guitars sound off and quite unnatural. Has your NT-6 Pro ever displayed these kinds of characteristics I'm describing? More directly, I guess I'm asking if the NT-6 Pro is forgiving enough when listening to mainstream badly engineered music.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #34 of 527
Quote:
Something else I would like to inquire about. Although the DT1350 was a wonderful little can in it's own right I couldn't help but sometimes be put off by the tonality on some songs. I'm guessing the problem was more related to badly mixed source then the DT1350. I would sometimes notice on certain songs a hint of a metallic like tinge in the mids which ruined female vocals and made guitars sound off and quite unnatural. Has your NT-6 Pro ever displayed these kinds of characteristics I'm describing? More directly, I guess I'm asking if the NT-6 Pro is forgiving enough when listening to mainstream badly engineered music.

I also want to see what Joe has to say, but I think I can answer part of this question, especially since a lot of my daily listening is of low-budget independent productions.

I don't find the NT 6 Pro metallic-sounding at all.

I wouldn't use the word "forgiving" to describe them. If the recording has studio noise, tape hiss, equipment hum or signal clipping, you'll be able to tell. If the recording is sibilant, these IEMs won't smooth that over -- no equipment at this level of quality should. That said, I haven't found them injecting noise where I know there is none. Nothing's proven to be unlistenable on them yet; at worst the recording artifacts are a distraction rather than a deal breaker. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #35 of 527
Quote:

I also want to see what Joe has to say, but I think I can answer part of this question, especially since a lot of my daily listening is of low-budget independent productions.

I wouldn't use the word "forgiving" to describe them. If the recording has studio noise, tape hiss, equipment hum or signal clipping, you'll be able to tell. If the recording is sibilant, these IEMs won't smooth that over -- no equipment at this level of quality should. That said, I haven't found them injecting noise where I know there is none. Nothing's proven to be unlistenable on them yet; at worst the recording artifacts are a distraction rather than a deal breaker. 

Thanks ardgedee, these CIEM's have me quite intrigued. Since I have your attention are you using the upgrade cable like joe has and have you tried using a tube amp on them yet? If so would you say they become more melodic and smooth without sacrificing any detail in the mids when being driven with tubes?

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #36 of 527
Quote:
Hi joe, happy new year. I've been subscribed to your thread for awhile and haven't bothered commenting hoping someone else would eventually pose the following questions.

Based on your review of the Pro I'm left with the assumption that this CIEM isn't to far off from the house sound of some of Beyerdynamics top offerings. I can't speak for the T1 flagship but speaking as an ex DT1350 owner some of the Pros described sound characteristics seem oddly similar to the DT1350's sound. In your opinion am I correct in assuming the NT-6 Pro would be right up ones alley if they were a fan of the Beyer house sound?

I have heard the T1 but not the 1350, and I thought the T1 had a more laid back presentation than that of the NT-6, but I do think there are similarities.  

Quote:

No metallic sound from my NT-6 either and when comparing with my other CIEMs or the LCD-2 I don't feel the tonality is off.  I have to agree with the last paragraph.  

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #37 of 527
are you using the upgrade cable like joe has and have you tried using a tube amp on them yet? If so would you say they become more melodic and smooth without sacrificing any detail in the mids when being driven with tubes?

All orders outside of South Korea get the heavier-duty "upgrade" cable. So, yes. Hidition also gave me the lighter-weight cable that ships with domestic orders, but it was lost during my flight home from Seoul. It looks more or less like the cables used with current Ultimate Ears customs, and for all I know it might be the same.

I don't have any tubed amps that are quiet enough for use with IEMs, so I can't help you there. I think the RSA SR-71B brings some tubelike character (spaciousness, smoother mids) to the sound, although currently I'm not content with the homemade balanced cable I use for that arrangement so I don't want to draw any conclusions yet..

May 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #38 of 527
I am considering ordering a New Tears 6-PRO, but cannot get through to the company by email. I have tried 'hidition@hidition.co.kr' and their help emails but I cannot get an answer. Does anyone have any advice on contacting the company? I don't speak Korean.

May 7, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #39 of 527
I cannot find any detail about how the NT6 pro's 6 BAs are broken out into a 5 way system. What are the 5 channels – sub, bass, mid, treble, super tweeter? Which channel gets the second BA? How are the five channels divided between the three exit bores?

May 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #40 of 527
I read somewhere that there is a free trade agreement between S. Korea and the US so that there are no customs or tax of any kind – is this true or is there some additional cost to purchase from the US? Does this product end up sitting in customs for an extended period?

May 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #41 of 527
[size=11.0pt]One complain/concern that I keep seeing about the NT-6 pro is that it is a little too bright. Those that have mentioned this have considered sending it back to be re-tuned, but suggested that the re-tuning cost is prohibitive. Have they made any corrections or has anyone gotten theirs re-tuned to see the difference? Will they tune my custom to be a little less bright at my request or is it a fixed manufacturing process even as a custom? Would it be a mistake to make such a request ruining the sound signature?[/size]

May 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #42 of 527
What is Hidition's warranty and re-fit policy? I cannot read Korean on their site.

May 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #43 of 527
You mentioned that "They both came back with silicone canals, for a much better fit."  I don't see this as an option - is this standard now or is it an added cost option? If it is extra, how much does it cost? Is it worth the cost?

May 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #44 of 527
Does Hidition offer any special pricing for Head-Fi members?

May 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #45 of 527
Hidition says no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back