Custom Cans Impressions Thread.
Dec 8, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #138 of 246
Dec 8, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #139 of 246
Looks great , i love this stuff .... quirky ,unusual, different, and the sound quality to back it up ...still amazed at my C/Cans BEYERDYNAMIC dt 990 PRO's...250 OHM ...now well run in ,with a few hundred hours clocked up with my work remastering ... damn good stuff and HELLISH RELIABLE, AND DEPENDABLE :relaxed: .

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #140 of 246
If i can just mention ...on my extremely well used Grado 325E's.. Jason fitted a detachable cable and also modded the stock Grado cable to XLR, i am still very happy with these cans , i really am ..... the Beyerdynamics ARE better sure.... but i do so much like that Grado "spaciousness" ... i like a lot about them ... except that "grittiness" on high frequencies ...its always been there ,i imagine its how they are , its apparent when switching between cans .... is there a reasonable mod to diminish this high end annoyance , or am i looking for something that is part and parcel of the Grado sound , its almost like a minor distortion on higher vols , are they worn out ??... am i looking ,or listening for something that isnt to be had . Does anyone have any solid info on 325e Grado mods , and is there any great improvement to be had ...or just live with it ..or use the Beyerdynamics, thanks for any info at all .

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #141 of 246
There is no grittiness on these , they are actually quite good and refined . Audio-technica.M50X , used for occasional monitor straight from legendary Sony TAF 700ES , before any workstation connections.

IMG_20221209_085734_2~2.jpg
.IMG_20221209_085629~2.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #142 of 246
If i can just mention ...on my extremely well used Grado 325E's.. Jason fitted a detachable cable and also modded the stock Grado cable to XLR, i am still very happy with these cans , i really am ..... the Beyerdynamics ARE better sure.... but i do so much like that Grado "spaciousness" ... i like a lot about them ... except that "grittiness" on high frequencies ...its always been there ,i imagine its how they are , its apparent when switching between cans .... is there a reasonable mod to diminish this high end annoyance , or am i looking for something that is part and parcel of the Grado sound , its almost like a minor distortion on higher vols , are they worn out ??... am i looking ,or listening for something that isnt to be had . Does anyone have any solid info on 325e Grado mods , and is there any great improvement to be had ...or just live with it ..or use the Beyerdynamics, thanks for any info at all .
Switching to over the ear pads helps tame the treble and pump up the bass a bit on Grados. I like the ones from Nyczaj Audio (formerly known as Shipibo). Way more comfortable as well.

Dec 9, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #143 of 246
T
Switching to over the ear pads helps tame the treble and pump up the bass a bit on Grados. I like the ones from Nyczaj Audio (formerly known as Shipibo). Way more comfortable as well.
Thanks for that info , i have just switched back to the stock ear pads ... just to see if there was any difference ,and WOW... a lot of the grittiness and harsh... almost distorted sound has diminished... they sound a lot better ... something nags me though ...if only they could be enhanced to give them some real magic,but retain the characteristics of the 325's, if that makes sense ...Jason might know ?? that elusive "something" i'm after , but the stock pads do go a long way , maybe i'm unrealistic, but i'd sure pay for any mods that give that extra" i'm after whatever it is .

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #144 of 246
Thanks Jason ..there Is definitely something special with these Grado's 325's, I've had these a good few years and have remastered literally hundreds of live Weller/Jam concerts from tape to .wav files.. as well as playing endless records and I still really enjoy them , aside from that little "grittiness" really, but the positives far outway that..I'm absolutely up for any mods on these.i carnt help but think ..these could be really amazing and have tremendous potential ..in your hands!!
I would be interested in what you think of the stock Grado ,325's Jason ... Or anyone for that matter.

Dec 19, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #145 of 246
Thanks Jason ..there Is definitely something special with these Grado's 325's, I've had these a good few years and have remastered literally hundreds of live Weller/Jam concerts from tape to .wav files.. as well as playing endless records and I still really enjoy them , aside from that little "grittiness" really, but the positives far outway that..I'm absolutely up for any mods on these.i carnt help but think ..these could be really amazing and have tremendous potential ..in your hands!!
I would be interested in what you think of the stock Grado ,325's Jason ... Or anyone for that matter.
Here is the Grado megathread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-fan-club.530965/

Get a bottle of booze (or three) and get ready to talk Grado! :)

Dec 19, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #146 of 246
Jan 3, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #147 of 246
I screwed up on a new balanced cable order for my LCD-3 over the weekend, and @jfunk not only fixed the order but immediately refunded the difference, AND he has already shipped the cable and sent me the tracking info. All without a hitch and with literally zero angst on my part - one email explaining my error after I completed my order, and he took care of the rest. Best CS in the business, IMHO (and I say that with 50+ years’ experience as a ‘serious’ audio hobbyist). I’ve placed several orders with Custom Cans, and it’s always the same - Just Exactly Perfect!

Thank you, Jason!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #148 of 246
I screwed up on a new balanced cable order for my LCD-3 over the weekend, and @jfunk not only fixed the order but immediately refunded the difference, AND he has already shipped the cable and sent me the tracking info. All without a hitch and with literally zero angst on my part - one email explaining my error after I completed my order, and he took care of the rest. Best CS in the business, IMHO (and I say that with 50+ years’ experience as a ‘serious’ audio hobbyist). I’ve placed several orders with Custom Cans, and it’s always the same - Just Exactly Perfect!

Thank you, Jason!

Yep, this is my experience with him also. He is a great guy that also happens to be great at other stuff also, like Sennheisers, Beyers, paint, headphone cables, etc.

Jan 5, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #149 of 246
love the cables... Periapt is a muddy mess in comparison...

Jan 13, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #150 of 246
My new Custom Cans UK balanced cable for my LCD-3 arrived yesterday and my initial reaction is - stupendous! The improvements over stock in extension (both ends), clarity, transparency and neutrality - all without an hint of boost or hardness - are readily apparent and cannot be denied. Plus the quality of fit n’ finish, feel and looks are all 100% top shelf. I could not be happier (although I admit that, if the basic cable is this good, I am more than a little intrigued by what the new, to die for gorgeous (IMHO) Ultimate cable can do for my system).

I would be remiss if I failed to mention, once again, that Custom Cans, and boss-man @jfunkin particular, provide THE BEST CS in the business. I had a minor problem with one of the connectors and, even though it was not their fault, Jason immediately, happily and personally provided step by step instructions on how to fix it. He went above and beyond all expectations to make absolutely certain I was a happy customer, and I am. I have been in this hobby for 50+ years, and I have literally never had such a great CS experience - not from McIntosh, not from arc, not from Vandersteen, not even from Wilson Audio - and those are the cream of the crop. Jason is a gentleman’s gentleman, and his products (I own several) all reflect his prime directive which, it seems to me, is to make his customers glad that they chose to give him their business. I’m a fan, and a customer, for life

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back