Custom Cans Impressions Thread.
Mar 1, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #121 of 246
I had considered buying some DT770's for many years but always ended up with alternatives. However, when I discovered Custom Cans sold them new, with their balanced conversion, I jumped in , with excellent results.
This means, I am unable to give you any advice re: possible sound changes, having never owned the stock cans. The only thing I can say is the workmanship seems of a high standard.
Good luck with your decision making!

Hi, did you get a case with your new dt770's? I am thinking of buying. Have asked CustomCan's but over a month since I sent the email to them.
thanks!

Mar 2, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #122 of 246
thank you, just ordered :)

Mar 11, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #124 of 246
Can anyone recommend a `standard` unbalanced upgrade cable for a Focal Utopia that is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 3m stock cable?
the whole cable thing can be incredibly subjective - see sound science forum for examples - you will have to decide for yourself here as the spectrum of opinions and evidence is very wide.

Mar 11, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #125 of 246
New CC's arrived :dt880smile:

Was going to mod my existing beyer dt770 80ohm's - but after listening to them, compared to my AT's and thinking about them further I was worried about one of the drivers rattling a bit, then sending them in, the extra costs etc. So talked myself into buying a new set to compare to the old set... The 80ohm's can move to piano duties anyway.

Went for the 250ohms this time. : 'Custom Cans Uber Beyerdynamic DT770 250ohm headphones with modified drivers and detachable balanced litz cable (Desert Camo), Balanced Connection 4.4mm TRRRS'

initial rinsing of the new grey code - renewal album (prima, voyage XIII and Illiad especially)
- deep throbbing bass, sub bass
- I can feel my eardrums oscillating :-D
- closed obviously and feel like you are super deep in the tunes
- a bit heavier than my non-modded 80ohms - as there is additional damping onboard
- lovely stuff

Thanks to the CC team :beerchug:

May 6, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #126 of 246
Was unaware the CC cables were so highly rated!

Last year I had a detachable mod done to my old Grado GS1000i headphones. I also ordered a dual 2.5mm SE cable for them, and a SE cable for my Sennheiser HD650 as the cheap ebay cable for them had broken months prior.
Not having comparisons for the cables, I thought them both serviceable but nothing amazing, but maybe I was sleeping on them!

One issue - the right Sennheiser connector was not quite flush and the right channel would cut out occasionally - that cable was commandeered by Mum for her 58X (where it works flawlessly), so not a huge deal there, just worth mentioning.

The actual Grado mod is quite well done - they must have had to unglue the earcup grilles and do some intricate soldering.
After reading about their cables I may have to order some more, balanced this time, and put them up against my Periapts!

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #127 of 246
Jun 1, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #128 of 246
Get those off your list and get them !!
I see they come in silver and black color in addition to the copper ones. This is getting closer to the top of my buy list :D

Jun 7, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #129 of 246
"I do not believe in the sound of cables, but I do believe in the looks."
~protoss
20220607_185322.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #131 of 246
Those are some mighty fine looking cables, for sure, but can they transmit electrons at the speed of light like mine do ? 😜
I'm sure they can, if you have a DeLorean and some banana peels :wink:

Jun 8, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #132 of 246
"I do not believe in the sound of cables, but I do believe in the looks."
~protoss
20220607_185322.jpg
It's awesome that @jfunk has such a trademark braiding style. I can spot his cables a mile away. Great stuff!

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #134 of 246
Hey man..
I have been designing a couple of new ranges of cables and am very excited to be in the final testing phase for the higher end cables. The aim has been to create a bit of a statement piece that not only had a higher speck than our current range but also be a thing of great beauty ( I know that is subjective ). We worked with a UK company that makes embroidered silk to create the cover for us. The aim being to separate the cores as much as we sensibly could without making the cable too bulky and heavy. It is a nice crossover between art and engineering.
silk ribbon.jpg

Hey man.. YEAH! :grinning: Looks like something very special!

Jul 20, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #135 of 246
I have been designing a couple of new ranges of cables and am very excited to be in the final testing phase for the higher end cables. The aim has been to create a bit of a statement piece that not only had a higher speck than our current range but also be a thing of great beauty ( I know that is subjective ). We worked with a UK company that makes embroidered silk to create the cover for us. The aim being to separate the cores as much as we sensibly could without making the cable too bulky and heavy. It is a nice crossover between art and engineering.
Fantastic! I think only you could come up with something like that. Crazy good design!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back