Custom Art FIBAE Black Announcement
Mar 7, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #316 of 551
So... I have spent quite a bit of time with the Black and I must say it keeps surprising me.

I expected a laid back signature but the more I listen to the Black the more I think it's more smooth than laid back per se as it features more energy than I would have given it credit for. Treble is smooth but I wouldn't call it recessed either, I don't see the Black as a descending signature but rather bump in the mid bass giving it rhythm, linear in the mid range with a gentle but well thought out upper mids bump providing articulation (never congested despite the presence of the lower mids), and just the right amount of lower treble to provide more excitement than you would think. Upper treble is where things are more subdued but still nuances and air is present enough to provide good contrast.

Ah and the black background and low distorsion are both a component of the signature as well, not to mention the softer attack and smooth decay.
Those help provide a fatigue free listening experience, even pushing the volume you'll never get any ear fatigue so long late sessions are a treat!

Last but not least I went through my Jazz playlists and I was so surprised at how pleasing and rich instrument timbre was, it's north of neutral but very very pleasing and satisfying.
Overall I am pretty impressed with the layering and soundstage as well.
Those babies need time to grasp all they have to offer :)
Make sure you try some nice acoustic music as well David

Mar 7, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #317 of 551
That's a really good description that captures Black's character :)

I am glad I nailed it, it's not the easiest to grasp, mainly because to me the Black has the mesmerizing quality of a siren you have to force yourself to analyze :p

Make sure you try some nice acoustic music as well David

Yes I did that's the first thing I did actually, good advice!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #318 of 551
Shipment sent !!!! Expect to receive these custom the 12/03 (Payment was received the 2nd of January)

After reading David's description I can't wait ! :D

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #319 of 551
Shipment sent !!!! Expect to receive it the 12/03 (Payment was received the 2nd of January)
After reading David's description I can't wait ! :D

Is that universal or custom?

After auditioning the universal, I have a feeling (didn't A/B side by side though) that the universal has (understandably) less bass (note that Custom Art CIEM have amazing seal). To me this affect the signature across the board, I feel like the universal feels more open and is less full sounding (I think the lower mids are a tad denser as well) it's not night and day as is the bass difference but still maybe the uni is a tad more balanced (less mid bass presence). Just something to keep in mind.

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #320 of 551
Is that universal or custom?

After auditioning the universal, I have a feeling (didn't A/B side by side though) that the universal has (understandably) less bass (note that Custom Art CIEM have amazing seal). To me this affect the signature across the board, I feel like the universal feels more open and is less full sounding (I think the lower mids are a tad denser as well) it's not night and day as is the bass difference but still maybe the uni is a tad more balanced (less mid bass presence). Just something to keep in mind.
Universal has a tiny bit more lower highs so it can come across as a bit more balanced. It also depends on sleeves used, I personally prefer Blacks with bi-flanges the comes with them, they have the smoothest response and the most extension

Mar 7, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #321 of 551
Nope, I went for the Custom as for my previous Fibae 2. The fit was perfect, so no reason not to be this time !

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #322 of 551
Too many David's in this thread, I'm getting confoozed again (not difficult). I'm actually toying with the idea of getting my fibae 2's re redone if the 3-d printing works out as universals and I just don't play nice.

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #323 of 551
Universal has a tiny bit more lower highs so it can come across as a bit more balanced. It also depends on sleeves used, I personally prefer Blacks with bi-flanges the comes with them, they have the smoothest response and the most extension

My favs are the smallest single flange. Deep insertion,great seal (even better than my customs) and great comfort with no pressure.

My favourite iem by far.

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #324 of 551
So... I have spent quite a bit of time with the Black and I must say it keeps surprising me.

I expected a laid back signature but the more I listen to the Black the more I think it's more smooth than laid back per se as it features more energy than I would have given it credit for. Treble is smooth but I wouldn't call it recessed either, I don't see the Black as a descending signature but rather bump in the mid bass giving it rhythm, linear in the mid range with a gentle but well thought out upper mids bump providing articulation (never congested despite the presence of the lower mids), and just the right amount of lower treble to provide more excitement than you would think. Upper treble is where things are more subdued but still nuances and air is present enough to provide good contrast.

Ah and the black background and low distorsion are both a component of the signature as well, not to mention the softer attack and smooth decay.
Those help provide a fatigue free listening experience, even pushing the volume you'll never get any ear fatigue so long late sessions are a treat!

Last but not least I went through my Jazz playlists and I was so surprised at how pleasing and rich instrument timbre was, it's north of neutral but very very pleasing and satisfying.
Overall I am pretty impressed with the layering and soundstage as well.
Those babies need time to grasp all they have to offer :)
How are they for rock and metal? Probably a bit late in the day to be asking that sort of stuff, but it was always the introduction of 3-d printing on these that was the main draw for me.

Mar 9, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #325 of 551
How are they for rock and metal? Probably a bit late in the day to be asking that sort of stuff, but it was always the introduction of 3-d printing on these that was the main draw for me.

I’ll try it out and report, but from what I understand the FIBAE 4 tuning is more in line with those genres...

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #326 of 551
I’ll try it out and report, but from what I understand the FIBAE 4 tuning is more in line with those genres...

Yeah I'm aware of that. As I said before it's really the 3-d printing that got me onto the black in the first place :) If it sounds half decent that's a nice added bonus. No point in it sounding fantastic if you can't get it to fit properly.

I tend to listen to the more melodic side of the stuff.

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #327 of 551
Ok let me give those genres a shot with the Black I haven’t gotten there yet :p

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #328 of 551
My blacks arrived today :) Thanks Piotrus. Just quickly tried the fit (got in from a long day at work about 10 minutes ago :frowning2: :) )and cautiously optimistic. Certainly look different to ciems that I've had in the past so putting that down to the impressions :)

Do like the new cable that comes with the blacks though. Are they available to buy on there own in both 2 pin and mmcx Piotrus?

Thanks.

PS A quick blast of Avantasia on you tube does suggest that rock and metal aren't going to be the blacks forte but that's what the fibae2/4 are for eh? :)

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #329 of 551
My blacks arrived today :) Thanks Piotrus. Just quickly tried the fit (got in from a long day at work about 10 minutes ago :frowning2: :) )and cautiously optimistic. Certainly look different to ciems that I've had in the past so putting that down to the impressions :)

Do like the new cable that comes with the blacks though. Are they available to buy on there own in both 2 pin and mmcx Piotrus?

Thanks.

PS A quick blast of Avantasia on you tube does suggest that rock and metal aren't going to be the blacks forte but that's what the fibae2/4 are for eh? :)
Keep me posted about the fit!

Yes we can sell the cable separately and we have both 2-pin and MMCX

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #330 of 551
Alright so after more time with my Fibae 2, I've noticed that the isolation is amazing, comfort too.

Writing "wow-effect" was a bit too much. I was expecting a "big step forward" coming from my Dunu DN-2000.

I pushed up the volume a bit and it is better. I'm getting used. So I played through Spotify (yeah I know) the following songs :

(++)
- Opeth - A fair judgment : Mind blowing. The heavy and melancolic atmosphere is really well retranscribed. I could detect every "mouth sounds" in the whispering part.
- Anathema - Lost control : Same thing from above. Everything is as its place, piano, drums, guitars... Vocals are sometimes close to sibilance but it's ok.
- Alice in Chains - Down in a hole (MTV Unplugged) : The acoustic guitars are sooo good in this one ! And the memorable vocals are powerful too.
- Porcupine Tree - Trains : Damn this acoustic guitar, is once again so good. I wish I could play it.
- And some EDM songs (rip Avicii, Madeon, Sam Feldt, Kygo), Kygo - Firestone (Acoustic version) is so good. I get a lot of details and nuances with this genre. Sometimes I wish I could have a bit more punch.

(-)
- Kansas - Carry on my wayward son : I've noticed sibilance / hurtful highs. As I said before I'm sensitive to these, but it could be the poor recording.
- RHCP - Snow : I love this sound with this kicking bass. But we're back to my first post, I was expecting more energy and punch with this kind of songs.

So far, I'm very happy. Maybe my brain is adjusting like @ryanjsoo said. As a metalhead, I'm still hoping the love is coming for this genre especially haha.

These were my words for the Fibae 2. A quick word on the fit, great as last time but I would say even tighter this time and I prefer it this way as it isolates better but my voice sounds weird :D . Cable is way better now (don't know about microphonics yet).

- Opeth - A fair judgment is even more intense with these Black ! There is definitely more sub-bass and it gives a solid body to the melody. When there is a lot of layers I can detect easier instruments and separate them. Mikael's voice is closer to me, more intimate and I love it !
The separation makes it even more exciting to listen to "wall of sounds" songs, such as Devin Townsend - Deadhead. The voice is not lost in all these layers, and I find it quite fascinating !
- Anathema - Lost control : bass and drums are punchy giving this song good power. Voice is really nice, I get good nuances, no sibilance.
- Alice in Chains - Down in a hole (MTV Unplugged) : Same as for the Fibae 2, delightful, except this time I can separate more easily the two voices and guitars. The mix really shoots you the acoustic guitars notes in your face but the voice is not recessed with the Black.
- Porcupine Tree - Trains : essentially the same, with a bit more punch.
- Kygo - Firestone (Acoustic version) : Conrad's voice is out of the world and Black give him justice. EDM is really cool with the extra bass. It does not seem fatiguing.
- Kansas - Carry on my wayward son : Even through my computer using "Creative X-fi Crystalizer" which is supposed to add more dynamic, I did not get any sibilance at all. Great point !
- RHCP - Snow : More bass means more fun and punch. I find it pretty convincing.

Bonus :
- Cane Hill - Singing in the swamp (just for Piotr :D) : damn there is so much energy while being enjoyable enough to listen to this kind of music for hours !
- Insomnium - While we sleep : Been listening to a lot of melodic death lately, Insomnium being of my favorites. I like the fact that vocals are not being crushed by all this intense atmosphere
and OF COURSE : Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (remastered) : Mesmerizing intro, Robert's voice is delicate, the crescendo ascension is captivating, the solo.... Can't say much more, it's been a real pleasure. (Btw I recommend you the version with Anne Wilson @ The Kennendy Center)

Might be the "new toy syndrome" but so far I'm really pleased with what I'm listening ! :)
I will probably selling one of the two as I dont see any reason having them both.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back