Custom AH-2000s $400 or less tube amp match
Aug 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Ironx

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just started investing some money into upgrading my Dennon AH-2000s, and want to pair them up with a nice amp to round out the upgrades.

I have been doing some research, but haven't found anything that is really sticking out to me. Ideally, I'm looking for a tube amp that is good with low impedance cans and is not overly lush or warm. The 2000s are decently warm already. Also would like to keep the price under $400, but am a bit flexible.

Couple of details on my upgrades which I am very excited about! I'm getting Martin Custom Audio (who I know is active on these forums) to make some new cups out of Ebony, and do the Markl mod. I'm going to do the recabling myself, as I have some experience at this. I think I'll come out with a very nice end product, with something close to the LA2000.

Couple of things that sound like options so far are:

1) Elekit TU882 -> bit over my budget, and not the coolest looking amp out there, but like the DIY aspect
2) Ming-Da MC-84C -07 -> again, not really my style in terms of design, but seems ok.
3) Schiit Valhalla -> Love the design, but the Asgard is most likely the better choice, as it is better for low impedances, but I'm a big fan of tube amps.

So, what is your favorite low impedance sub $400 amp?

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back